Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cycle computers - useful on epic trips?

554 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  m-dub 
#1 ·
What has been your experience? Have you found cycle computers to be handy for distance measurement when follwing guidebook directions and basic maps. Or are they a roadie training tool that has no business being on the handlebar of a mountain bike in the backcountry?

G
#3 ·
Indespendable....

telebiker said:
What has been your experience? Have you found cycle computers to be handy for distance measurement when follwing guidebook directions and basic maps. Or are they a roadie training tool that has no business being on the handlebar of a mountain bike in the backcountry?
On new rides in unfamiliar territory, especially when used in conjunction with guidebooks, cyclocomputers are a necessity in my book. I do several things first before heading out on a new epic:

First, I jot down all the course directional change descriptions and the distances they occur at from the beginning of the ride. This I do on a 4"x6" index card in pencil (ink runs when you sweat on it, or gets rained on) which can be easily pulled out of a jersey pocket to check course beta on-the-fly.

Next, I verify the accuracy of my computer, by riding known distances and comparing it to the output of the computer, or riding and driving the same route and comparing those numbers.

Last, even though I've never needed them I always haul along a map and compass just in case.

One other thing I usually do is make a photo copy of the page(s) from the guide book detailing the ride I'm going on and throw that in the hydration pack just in case I need a sanity check mid-ride.

All this might sound like overkill but when riding some quasi-featureless trails like some of the way-out ones in Moab it really helps. For instance, it was my first run of Poison Spider Mesa/Portal Trail, doing it solo in December. One wrong turn that time of the year next thing you know you've run outta daylight and face either spending the night or walking out; either way you're freezing your a$$ off (was getting down to 5-10 degrees at night that trip). Sure enough, I spaced a course change marker so when I noticed that my mileage on the computer was past when I was due for a change, I doubled-back, found where I needed to turn, and enjoyed the rest of the ride.

Sorry for the long response, just kinda snowballed on me. I don't really use the computer for route finding except for the first run of an unfamiliar trail. I do like the odometer feature though and keep track of seasonal mileage.

#4 ·
I like having

a very minimal computer on my bike as my clock, because I never wear a watch, and for rides in the Colorado high country where turns can be easy to miss.

Because there are so many trails in the area, I get to ride something new very often, usually from a guidebook. I also bring a map and compass, but the mapping the mileage from the computer to the info. in the guide book usually keeps me on track.
For $15 it seems a small price to pay on the occasions when it can be very usefull.

#5 ·
telebiker said:
I know the mileage on most of the trails I ride so I don't have one anymore. I liked having a altimeter on my computer because I was more interested in how far I climbed. If I did rides like cbrossman or SingleTrackSal I would definitely want one. Never, never on my singlespeeds, that's sacrilege.

#6 ·
Get yourself a GPS and be done with it.

Distance, Altitude, Longitude, Latitude. What more ya need?

I've been marking out some new areas that do not have a marked trail system so it's been great having the gps. It has saved me lot's of extra time scoutin garound blind.

#7 ·
I find them helpful when exploring a new trail. I also like to keep track of my milage just for kicks. Each there own but I find my buddies who "dont need or like them" asking me "how far have we gone?" or "what was our max speed on that decent?" Pretty funny. They are a pretty cheap piece to try out. My wife bought me a GPS for a B-day gift and its cool but just not much of a tech guy ( but great for finding new trail heads) and kinda like to just keep it simple. The cheap little computers are just that, simple. my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.