mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Custom El Comandante Ultimate

Had posted this over in the 29er forum but realized it really belonged over here:

For nearly a decade I have been a dedicated single speeder and have had all types but a lot of Cannondale's and Niners. Last August I decided to a take a little hiatus and ride geared and full suspension for a bit. I have been riding a Rumblefish Pro as my play bike and Superfly 100 as my fast trail and race bike and come to find out really enjoying both and at times seeing what I was missing.

About 2 months ago I realized I was register for Singlespeedapalloza and had sold all of my single speeds. I knew I needed a SS but was kind of sick of off the peg stuff for how I was riding and for the rugged technical trails we frequent. I took some geometry from my bikes to make sure my body position was good and coupled that with some of the ideas floating around for a more AM/ rugged trail bike. With all of these ideas floating around in my head I needed to figure out a company. I was not interested in steel and was not sure about the investment in a Ti bike at this time, I have ridden a lot of aluminum over the years and always like it for power transfer but who was really still working with alu? Thank God for Dirtrag and their recent article on Ventana, with their beautiful bikes and custom options it seemed like a perfect fit. The company looked like a great fit for the bike I was looking to build and a great compliment to the other bike we sell at Bethel Cycle in south west CT.

Dropped a quick email one Sunday night and was blown away to get a call the next day from Teresa and Sherwood to talk about what I wanted and what they could do for me. We hashed out the details and came up with a bike that is just ideal for what I was looking for. In name it is a El Comandante Ultimate but it is very custom with lots of nice features. Went with a short tapered head-tube to hold on to a Fox Talas Terralogic 95-120 and 69.4 head angle @ 120mm, a set of sliders they are working on that are 142/12 and allow me to use all of my current wheels, short chain stays from 16.75 to around 17.75" and plenty of room for a 2.25 Racing Ralph ( as big as I would ever run), 25.25" effective TT and 19" seat tube to give it the look and fit I wanted. Oh yeah, had to go with Mango Tango to make it stand out a bit also. Thanks to Sherwood for helping with some geometry questions and letting me help design a bike to really meet my needs and wants, great guy to deal with.

Singlespeedapalooza was this past Sunday and thankfully the bike showed up the Thursday prior. Maybe should have ordered it a bit earlier considering they turned a 100% custom bike with one-off sliders in less than 5 weeks, 2 days to learn how to ride a SS again and test out a new ride. Perfect! Got it built up with some choice parts and was able to get a short ride in Friday night and Sat AM and the bike felt dialed and intuitive right from the start. First bike with sliders that I trust and these work great and are very rugged and easy to adjust and secure, was even able to drop a cog 45 minutes before the race with no stress.

Sunday comes and not sure how my legs or bike are going to do in race conditions. The 2 short rides leading into this race made me realize that their is no reason to run the fork at 95mm probably ever with the Terralogic. So I set out for a 28 mile race with 120mm of travel, 34-17 and a bad ass new bright orange bike with legs that forgot how to pedal one gear. All in all the day went well and was able to really test the bike under fire. This bike will be lethal! Super power transfer, agile but not twitchy, and the fork with 120mm is just silly at speed on the tech! Can not wait to get more rides on it and test it out more on the local technical trails. Certainly missed riding a SS and I think this bike hit the ball out of the park for what I wanted. Thanks to every one at Ventana for building it for me and I hope Bethel Cycle can do a bunch more bikes with them. Very happy to finally have committed to a hand made American product and a beautiful bike that is one of a kind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom El Comandante Ultimate-img_1981.jpg  

Custom El Comandante Ultimate-img_1976.jpg  

Custom El Comandante Ultimate-img_1978.jpg  

Custom El Comandante Ultimate-img_1975.jpg  

Custom El Comandante Ultimate-img_1980.jpg  

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    yes, i thought the same when i read your post. the typical 29er morons are too idiotic to look beyond the cut and pasted cliches with respect to carbon, steel, etc. actually not kidding. sweet ride indeed and i miss mine

Team Fearless Descender
    Congrats SBC! Looks beautiful!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Congrats SBC! Looks beautiful!
    talk is cheap, Mr "No 29er" and/or "No SS"

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    What about you? Still have any Ventanas?

Nice bike, SBC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    gorgeous. thru axle on a hardtail...brilliant!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Commandante is the next bike I am building. Hopefully by mid June. Gonna build it to look similar to this bike.

Thanks,

Chuck

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Looks good. Did Sherwood explain what he did to shorten the stays?

Team Fearless Descender
    Hey, got to ride my friends steel Niner SS a bit (hard - no fork / no shock), and it got me thinking....
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    What about you? Still have any Ventanas?

Nice bike, SBC.
    only a single bike for 2 years now, and not a ventana

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    i spoke to Sherwood and he said that in order to shorten the stays, he had to make them shorter

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i spoke to Sherwood and he said that in order to shorten the stays, he had to make them shorter
    Hah, funny. Not really sure what he did since I am not really familiar with what their original chain stay bridgelooks like but I am guessing that is what he changed. I asked him if I could have shorted than my Niner (17.33") and get below 17". We ended up with 16.75" to 17.75".

Since I run a 34/20 or 19 almost all of the time with a Rotor ring it works out great nearly all the way forward with sub 17" chain stays. I think that is good but really need to ride the bike more to figure out if is a must like a lot of people say.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I got to check out SBC frame just before it shipped out, at the shop. yep, new chainstay "bridge", with a new yolk that eliminates the notch needed for Gates Belt drive.
    For a lack of a picture it looks offset, but it's not, Assymetrical techinically.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, 'gonzo. Do you know if that new bridge is going to be standard or an option (not a full custom change) for the El C Ultimate?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I do not have any idea on that. I do know that because of the length they made them I would not be able to run a belt and I have never had a desire to ride a belt so I was OK with that. I think if the tapered head tube and these chain stays with the 142/12 rear end made it to a production bike it would be great. I think this seems to be a logical progression of the 29er hardtail for rugged trail bike that is still certainly swift enough to be race

I took it out on Sunday to my local trail system I ride and was reminded how hard single speeding can be but how good this bike is. This 120mm fork is awesome and certainly lets the bike handle some very tough trails easier. The bike is so accurate and re-active that I find myself over steering/ over powering it more than my FS bikes. I need to put less in to make this find its grove and that will come for sure with time on the bike.

I am looking forward to get my SS legs and mind back and really challenging this bike but it has been a bit humbling to get reacquainted with a single even after a relatively short hiatus.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbc1cog View Post
    I am looking forward to get my SS legs and mind back and really challenging this bike but it has been a bit humbling to get reacquainted with a single even after a relatively short hiatus.
    for what its worth you are not alone. its very demoralizing to me right now too

on the bright side, and far more important anyway, you look good at the trailhead regardless

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks, 'gonzo. Do you know if that new bridge is going to be standard or an option (not a full custom change) for the El C Ultimate?
    I believe the new Bridge is now standard, it's the 2013 update! (By Fox's designation of production years!)

Key here is "I believe" I didn't ask specifically that question. He just showed me "the new improved bridge" and as you know, V tends to roll "new and improved" parts into production models as they develop them.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."