Team Chilidog!

Cuervo build help (drivetrain)

I'm getting the parts together for my Cuervo, and I'm hitting a bit of a snag with the type of rear derailleur to get. Short cage seems to be in order, and lot of options are the road gruppos and the Saint and Zee.

The only requirement is Shimano (I don't have the strength to shift SRAM with my previously injured right hand) and I'd prefer 9 speed because it's usually cheaper.

It's not clear if the Zees (yes, this is 10 speed only I know) and Saints require a direct mount rear derailleur, and it's not clear if that's what's required for the 150mmx12mm TA in the back.

Thanks for helping the confused

Proud lame eBiker
    You do not need a direct mount rear derailleur.

The Saint and Zee models come in both direct and normal hanger options. Make sure you get the correct one.

Are you going to be trying to pedal this bike up a hill? Or just pushh/lift up and ride down? If you're not going to pedl it then go for a short cage and run a 11-28 or thereabouts sized cassette. SRAM does a 950DH 11-26 cassette. While that gearing combo is fine, do get that cassette. Heavy as sin!!

Otherwise if you're going to pedal the thing get a long cage and use a 11-32 or 11-34...

Whichever you use, SRAM or Shimano, 9 or 10sp, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a Gore cable for the shifting. On a full length housing bike shifting can get 'heavy' pretty quick, and with your hand issue, the Gore kit will make a world of difference!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.