smooth is fast
    May 2004

CRUD Tires? anyone..anyone..

Guys I need some real help in obtaining good tires that fit my riding. I'm in Pittsburgh, plenty of rainy and wet riding. We also have heavy, dark muddy soil trails with alot of glacier rock.

I currently run 2.3 UST Hutchinson Barracudas on the Ciclon. What are good for wet, muddy and slippery rocks and roots type riding?

Shot Down in Flames...
    Hutch Spiders MRC 2.3 UST
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 UST

D.

mtbr member
    maxxis medusa or swampthing
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    May 2005

kenda nevegal stick-e 2.35

here in NEPA the kenda nevegal stick-e in 2.1 or 2.35 works well...our riding is mostly wet, rocky,& rooty for most of the year...run them at around 28-35 psi depending on your weight...if you have tubeless rims they work well with stans solution and no tubes...

smooth is fast
    May 2004

Tubeless lo pressure

Currently I'm riding UST Barracudas, but I'm not sure I'm getting the benefit of UST. I prefer the responsive feeling of high psi tires, not the splashy feel of lo inflated tires. But, what should I/could I be getting away with in terms of low pressure? I havent really tried it yet and am not sure what psi to go with, are we talking UST gives the capability of running a few pounds less or more like 10 pounds less?

not so super...
    The Schwalbe Muddy Mary looks like it might fit your needs?
    Nothing to see here.

I don't run my tires any higher than about 31 lbs. @ 185 lbs rider weight. w/o gear.

I have had great luck with the Big Betty's in all conditions and the Maxxis High Rollers have proved to be pretty dependable as well. The BB's will be available in UST shortly.

I just did this ride with a High Roller rear and BB front and they worked flawlessly. Even with the mud and packed in ice.

smooth is fast
    May 2004

Thanks RSutton

you have given me good advice more than twice! I'm the same weight, 185. How lo (psi) have you run USTs before?

How would it feel and work to run lo psi in the rear and hi psi in the front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I also give high marks to the Fat Albert UST tires for anything tacky or muddy. I'm up in NH and our weather is similar to yours. I've also had pretty good luck with Maxxis as well, but not with their supertacky compound. They tend to pack up pretty easily in mud and snow. The Fat Alberts on the other hand, they never pack up, cold, wet, snow, rain, mud, etc. I was out for a 3hr ride this morning in a little mud, some snow, ice and wet pine needles in various sections and they stayed clean the whole ride. I was also uber impressed with the traction. They held ground on the wetest of roots, rocks, etc.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    I'll second the Kenda Nevegals. However do not use any sealant on them as you will void the warranty. If you want tubeless - use the tubeless rated Nevegal - liquid sealants will likely blister the inside of the casing.

mtbr member
    May 2005

nevegals

thats strange, ive run the stans in both regular and ust nevegals and never had any blistering or problems....occasionaly ive slit the sidewall on sharp rocks etc but was able to patch them from the inside.... if you use liquid tire buffer and and a strong patch with fiber in it like the patches used by a truck tire repair company they repair ok.... tried to patch a hutcheson tire though and patch would not stick no matter what...