mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Creak in 2012 Frame?

I have a new design 2012 El Rey. Love the bike, but over the last few rides I have developed a heck of a squeak or creak in the BB area. Anybody else with a few months on one of the new style frames experience this. I'm worried that it's related to the PF30 system...that these will be inherently squeaky. My set-up uses the SRAM adapter, Chris King BB, and XTR M980 cranks. Another possibility I've thought of is some of the housing cable under the BB and chainstay. There's a lot going on down there. Just wondering if others have experienced this. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creak in 2012 Frame?-img_1164-copy.jpg  

Team Chilidog!
    Great build. Looks like the bike needs more dirt

2012 El Ciclon here, so I'm not sure how much it applies. I've had some creaks, but mine were either related to the CCDB (had to grease between the coil and the collars) or the seatpost.

My BB is setup similar: SRAM adapters from Ventana, King BB, but Race Face Atlas AM cranks.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Can't help w/the creak but DAMN! That is one slick looking bike! I really love it!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Lightly salted
    Very nice build! My guess would be creaking from the pf bottom bracket. I have the same creaky bb. I would have liked threaded bb better, but I still have no regrets with my Ventana. One of the best bikes I've owned!
    Last edited by fuenstock; 03-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Let me take it around BCSP just to be sure if there is an issue!

aka greyranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    Let me take it around BCSP just to be sure if there is an issue!
    I'm thinking " I know that place"

aka Willy Vanilly
    After swapping the parts from my X5 onto a 5.Spot, I noticed a creak that was driving me crazy. Happened to swap out the axle of my CK hub in the process and noticed in the installation manual it said something about making sure that there was a solid connection between the rear dropouts and the axle ends b/c if not, the slippage could propagate through the frame and sound like it was coming from the BB area. Tightened up the new fun bolts and the noise was gone.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yep...BCSP! That pic was from just before it's maiden voyage last November. It's plenty dirty now, so no worries on that Stripes! I thought maybe that was part of the problem, and so a good clean-up might alleviate the squeak. Well, no go there. Did 4 hours on it Wednesday and it was getting pretty mentally taxing I have to say. Will likely end up taking the BB out, seeing if there are any signs of where something might be rubbing, etc. I wonder if a little bit of something like a carbo-lock or similar compound rubbed on the press fit adapter would help. I'll keep searching for a solution. And thanks for the kind words on the bike! It is a great ride.

Randy

Ultra Ventanaphile
    The only thing I can add is, remember to add Good quality marine grade grease to the needle bearings. Park makes a good one. And check the torque on the main pivot bolts.
    Make sure it's not that first before having to take the BB off etc.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Proud lame eBiker
    Pull the cranks and pop out the press fit cups. Wipe clean. Inspect BB shell. If all looks good then apply some 'carbon paste' to the cups (NOT GREASE!) and then reassemble making sure you use a liberal amount of anti-seize on the crank arm/bb spindle interface and that you torque the pinch bolts appropriately.

That aught to do it.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

jbf
    mtbr member
    My experience with press fit cups is limited to my road bike. CAAD9 BB30 bottom bracket shell with Campagnolo press fit cups. I used Loctite 609, which is a product specifically designed for "bonding of cylindrical fitting parts". It is what Cannondale specs for installation of threaded BB adapters so I figured it would work well for the Campy cups. It has has worked great for me, but may cause problems if I ever need to remove the cups.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    My experience with press fit cups is limited to my road bike. CAAD9 BB30 bottom bracket shell with Campagnolo press fit cups. I used Loctite 609, which is a product specifically designed for "bonding of cylindrical fitting parts". It is what Cannondale specs for installation of threaded BB adapters so I figured it would work well for the Campy cups. It has has worked great for me, but may cause problems if I ever need to remove the cups.

No use for that green stuff here. We're dealing with a plastic cup being pressed into an aluminum shell. With your CAAD frame and Campy cups you're aluminum on aluminum, which I'd recon a perfect place for Green Loctite 609.

I'd be very weary of what the Loctite 609 would do to the plastic cups.

Stolen from a Loctite Spec Sheet fr 609:

Applications Adhesives > Retaining Cylindrical Assemblies > Close Fitting / Press Fit
    Retaining > For Metal Parts
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    No use for that green stuff here. We're dealing with a plastic cup being pressed into an aluminum shell. With your CAAD frame and Campy cups you're aluminum on aluminum, which I'd recon a perfect place for Green Loctite 609.

I'd be very weary of what the Loctite 609 would do to the plastic cups.

Stolen from a Loctite Spec Sheet fr 609:

Applications Adhesives > Retaining Cylindrical Assemblies > Close Fitting / Press Fit
    Retaining > For Metal Parts
    Plastic Cups? Wow, I need to carch up with the new technology! Thanks for correcting me ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Solved...

Apparently, operator error. I won't go into the long version of why I did it wrong, but here's the jist. Kids, if you're using the SRAM adapter...use that wavy washer!!! I checked the torque on main pivot...fine. Took the crank apart, and reinstalled using the wavy washer and one of the .5mm spacers. Rode 3.5 hours yesterday, and NO CREAK! Yay!

How did I discover this? Friday at near quitten time here, I get an email from Teresa to call. I do, and she hooks me up with Sherwood. He'd seen my post, and wanted to talk and offer some helpful suggestions on what the cause may be. The wavy washer and spacers with the adapter came up, and I was pretty sure I had left those off, thinking they were specific to SRAM cranks. Bingo...my solution. How friggin awesome is that?! Thanks, Ventana, and to everyone who also offered ideas. Mush appreciated.

Randy

Lightly salted
    Nice! I'll have to double check mine. Im running same setup as you, sram adapter with shimano cranks.

Team Fearless Descender
    Wavy washer? Sheehs! LOL!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    FYI, I've been trying to diagnose a creak I thought was coming from the bb as well. I'd been hearing it under hard acceleration or steep climbing, mostly on the downstroke of the left pedal, and it was starting to get annoying. Looks like It was coming from the 142mm axle. I set the axle nut so the Shimano axle clamps down very, very tightly, and the creak seems to have disappeared. Fingers crossed.