mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Considering the X-5?

I am currently riding an Intense Uzzi as my "do-it-all" bike but I am thinking of adding a more "traditional" trail bike to the stable for those longer, not so big hit days when I just want to ride all day. Never owned a Ventana but I am coming around. Rode a Yeti 575 for a bit but found it a bit to flexy for my taste. Would the X-5 do the trick? Very general question, I know, but was just looking for some feedback about the X-5 handling characteristics etc... By the way I am 6'1, 210 lbs if that makes any diff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also consider the Ciclon but the X-5 is a very stiff and well-designed bike. The geo is a little different from the Ciclon but not too much. It accelerates well and the stiffness is unreal. I also owned a 575 and bought the X-5 right after. I actually like the looks a lot. Larry and Chad have been ridng Ventanas for years and know a lot about them too. They are our two favorite Turner and Ventana dealers.

If you are looking for a very stiff bike...you are in the right place. Another option is to call Sherwood and talk to him about what you are looking for in a bike, but a Ciclon or X5 is a great all day bike.

When I called w/questions about the Ciclon, he said it should be able to take everything but hucking off my roof to flat without a problem. He builds very strong frames.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Also consider the Ciclon but the X-5 is a very stiff and well-designed bike. The geo is a little different from the Ciclon but not too much. It accelerates well and the stiffness is unreal. I also owned a 575 and bought the X-5 right after. I actually like the looks a lot. Larry and Chad have been ridng Ventanas for years and know a lot about them too. They are our two favorite Turner and Ventana dealers.
    You could do what I did-- an X-5 with El Ciclon geometry.

It's my do-it-all bike, and I can't wait to take it to Tahoe and hopefully Downieville next year.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ordered one without ever having ridden one; I would do it again in a heartbeat. Every bit as stiff as they are made out to be on the forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to see if a dealer here in Portland has one I can throw a leg over.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi1114
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to see if a dealer here in Portland has one I can throw a leg over.
    Fullcycles.com in Corvallis is also a Ventana dealer...give Will a ring and I am sure he will sort things out

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I test rode a Yeti 575 and an X5 back-to-back over 2 days. I found the Yeti a bit on the flexy side too, but the X5 is truly rock solid. 3 years later and it still feels like new. The X5 is a great long distance trailbike and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. I'd buy another without question.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Proud lame eBiker
    I've got a 19" X-5 in my Demo fleet as well taht I could ship your way for a week or so...also have a 19" El Ciclon, but that one is reserved out for the next three weeks!

I rode a 575 a few years back. I must say, after being a ventana loyalist for many years, I was surprised by how well the 575 rode. It definitely felt a bit more alive, especially for out of the saddle romps, but after that I couldn't find any reason to really want one. It was not nearly capable enough of a descender nor did it handle tricky offcamber climbs, or moves in rocks, well at all. Too flexy.
    Between X-5 and El Ciclon is really a style issue, whether or not you like the x-brace frame, or the more traditional diamond frame of the Ciclon. Although, I do think the front end of the X-5 is just a touch more direct when you point it where you want to go on a steep downhill in the rough. I'm a few pounds more than yourself and I can feel the Ciclon frt. triangle give a bit more when stuffing it in a turn real hard, and usually under real heavy front braking cause I overcooked the entry.;-)

Cheers!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Something else to bear in mind with the X5 is how versatile it is. You can build a sub 28 lb XC bike or a 35 lb lightweight freeride bike using the same frame. You can easily go from 5 to 6" travel and from air to coil shock. There's also plenty of clearance for fat tyes.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]