mtbr member

Considering a El Commandante

OK ... really need some more help here.

I am considerin a used 2011 Vantana El Commandante.

Currently on a Niner One9 with Nioner rigid fork. Tired of the EBB issues, plus a few other problems i am having.

Pluses...

Takes a 27.2 seatpost, and I have a Thomson Masterpiece.

Adjustable dropouts ... no ebb.

Standard 1 1/8 headtube, so I can use the King headset currently on my Niner.

It is a 22" seattube, with a 24.7" toptube. My Niner is only a 19" ST, but the toptube is essentially the same, at 24.5"

Anyone riding one of these? The seller offers a 14 day no questions asked refund. He will sell me the frame for $675 with free shipping, so if I wanted to build it and found the fit is no good, I could return it and it would only cost me the shipping.

Any feedback on this frame ... how it rides, how well the adjustable droputs work, how you think it would be built rigid with my Niner carbon fork, would be appreciated.

SPP
    Rigid.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I have a Chiquillo, built to run 650B wheels, thats the same build as the Commandante.. (Swing DO, etc). It's stiff, yet tuned, it's not brutally stiff like my Toro. The Dropouts have 3 points of contact each, and are very stiff and strong, no slippage what so ever.

Sounds like the fit should be very close, the .2" difference can be adusted out with a short stem.

I know there's a few out there with rigid Niner forks, and haven't heard anybody complain!

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have a Niner carbon fork on mine. The EBB on my custom steel frame was driving me nuts. The Comandante rides better than my old frame and the tensioning system is issue free. CS length is a little long but is not a big deal to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have one with the Niner Carbon fork as well. I really enjoy mine. I have an El Rey as well and more often than not, I grab the El Comm.

mtbr member
    Great to hear all the positive reviews of the El Com, especially that the adjustable dropouts are trouble free. I mean, isn't the reason we ride ss for simplicity?

Also glad to hear folks like it with the Niner fork.

Went ahead and bought one used on eBay and should be here by the end of the week.

$675 no tax free shipping, with a 14 day no questions asked return policy from a highly rated seller.

Anxious to get this thing going...

Thanks for all the helpful info.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Well, after all that I decided to cancel the transaction on the used Ventana, and got a new frame for $975 shipped. Hopefully it will be here soon. It's been a while since I bought a brand new frame, and I started worrying that, in the event that I had a problem with it in the future, I would be SOL, so I blew the extra $300 for peace of mind. I was also able to get the 20", which I think / hope will fit me better than the 22".

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

Standard 1 1/8 headtube, so I can use the King headset currently on my Niner.
    FYI ... they are now doing a tapered headtube as standard on this frame.

This would be awesome, except...

I want to use my 1 1/8" King headset, with slightly undersized crown race due to the steerer on my Niner carbon fork being slightly out of spec that I also want to use on this build.

Thankfully, Ventana is still in the welding process on these frames, so they are going to make mine with the standard headtube.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    In a blinding twist of fate I ended up with the used frame.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Built and ridden once.

20.5 lbs.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member

SPP
    Rigid.

Just Ride!
    Congrats! I am looking to replace my '02 Supercaliber with one of these frames. Some of my parts will transfer over, but looking at a Gates CenterTrack and Alfine Di2 when available.

mtbr member
    "Motorcycle Trail" at Graham Hills this morning ...(x-post)

SPP
    Rigid.