mtbr member

Component suggestions for new El Ciclon

which has not been ordered yet, but will in the next 30 days. This will replace my trusty El Salt which has developed a problem and is being taken care of by the wonderful folks at Ventana (bikes break, that is why we buy from this superior company )

I have 2 sets of wheels available to me, one set with King hubs and one with Hadleys, both set up for QR. I will go with a thru-axle fork, and would also like a thru-axle rear.

First ?: I'd prefer a 2 step fork, 130-150mm of travel. I am aware of the new Fox 32, but 15mm thru-axle conversion may not be available for either hub. I'd like 20mm but I don't see using a Pike below 140mm, so why get it?

Second ?: Rear shock. I have an old RLC which has been pushed, and it is great on the Salty. I think I will do the Push conversion to 2.25 stroke for about $100, is this foolish? I would save around $200 over a new RP23, and I'm really not much of an on-the-fly adjustment guy. (Yeah I know, then why have and adjustable fork?)

Last ?: I have to buy new rockers anyway, the Salt rockers will not work. Any reason to go with the 6" rockers? I'm basically a trail rider in Durango, long climbs, long downhills, many trips to Sedona, Moab, Fruita, Taos and everything in between. No big air, but I'd like to entertain more 3-4' drops and such. I don't want to move up to the Terremoto, just too much travel for a 4K ft climb at elevation in combination with this old, slow guy.

Any other suggestions and advice is appreciated.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    If you want a 2 step type of fork you have a couple of choices the RS Lyrik (115-160mm) or the Magura Thor (100-140mm).

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    If you don't see yourself using the Pike below 140, then just get a Dual Air one (without travel adjust) and save a tad of weight....you could save a tad more weight going for a Revelation with Maxle Light....140mm is the sweet spot for the bike anyway...

considering your description, I think the new 140mm rockers for the Ciclon should fit your riding well.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Mine is setup 5' rockers/2" stroke which is good. I have not heard great things about going to the 6" rocker (search the forum). From what I've heard and like crisillo says 140mm rockers w/2.25" stroke shock is the way to go with the El C. Also, you'll probably be wishing you had an RP23 on those 4000' climbs as well - Push sets up the tune pretty plush for El C so some platform is nice when needed. I think any fork over 520mm A to C might be too tall for that bike if you want a do-it-all setup. The Pike fit my El Ciclon perfectly.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Go 5 with QB and you will be pleased. I am running the Fox TALAS 32 and ride very similar trail conditions as you; lots of long ups and long downs. I find the option to change from 100 to 120 for big climbs to help. I also came off an older Salty that did not have the RP23. The pro pedal really helps on the longer steep climbs. My El C climbs better than my Salty did. I know you said you don't like to mess with switches but it will not interupt your flow.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    cbrossman,
    The new 2009 El Ciclon with 140mm rockers w/RP23 will be perfect for the type of riding you do. No need to step up to the 6" rockers, but having the RP23 PUSH'd would be a nice upgrade.

I upgraded my 07 El Ciclon with the 140mm rockers and had a RP23 PUSH'd and the upgrade has been the best single thing I've ever done to a bike. It's so worth it. Although, Ihave to be honest, since I did the rockers and PUSH job at the same time I'm not sure which one contributed more to the way the bike feels now.

It will certainly be a great bike for those extended climbs (you can flick the propedal switch while riding) and bombing downhill, not to mention those 3-4 foot drops you want to do every now and then.

Either of your hubsets will be fine, but what rims are on each?? You didn't mention that.

Depending on how heavy your are, the Pike would be a great fork if you want to stay 140mm max or maybe the Fox32 Talas RLC. Both forks would be great for someone up to maybe 200+- lbs. If you want something a bit more beefy then I'd consider a Marzocchi 55ATA micro. I love this fork for all around trail riding with adjustable travel. It's been great for me. Some may not like the small travel increments, but that is something I WANTED for my fork.

Good luck!

JP

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have Lyric coil u-turn and, yes it's heavy (6 lb), but I love it. Absolutely love it. Maybe the Pike is enough, but I knew how the Lyric felt and it was a sure thing! I think with the proper rim/hub, this bike could easily withstand the abuses of your typical Moab shuttles. I have already ridden mine in Sedona, Flagstaff, Colorado and our local Utah trails. It kills! Wheelsets both sound great. I feel Hadleys are pretty indestructible. I think my rockers are 130mm and my bike does 6-8 ft drops just fine (to a tranny, of course) and gaps, tables, etc. The RP23 is pretty good for climbs. Totally lets you stand and hammer when needed. I have heard not so good things about 160mm rockers. Keep in mind that an adjustable fork may be able to better complement all your rocker options. I ride mine with 110mm rockers sometimes and just drop the fork to balance and lower the bike.

Intrigued by 140mm. . . JP, how much for the upgrade on quads?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The new rockers are $225 and include all bearings and mounting parts.

mtbr member

Thanks for the advise,

even though it is free for me, it amounts to effort for you, and I appreciate it.

I was never enthusiastic about the 6" rockers, my buddy riding an ML8 is pushing it because he wants me to suffer on the climbs too. My other riding partner is getting a Tracer, which can also be set for 6" of travel, this all amounts to peer pressure, and at my advanced age, I'm just not falling for it, standard 5.5 rockers it is.

I still like the idea of converting my old RLC to 2.25" stroke and saving $ in the RP23, but it sounds like the RP23 is a better way to go. Undecided here, I'll have to see what Larry thinks (Larry, what do you think?)

Besides following the thread here, I've been doing some research on my own. It sounds like the 15mm TA is not as stiff as the standard 20mm, while the weight savings are insignificant. I ride a Revelation on the Salty, and don't see that I need to put the fork at a travel setting lower than the rear, and I will assume the same on the Ciclon. So a fixed 140 mm travel fork of the Pike/Revelation flavor is probably perfect for me. I don't want to spend the extra $ for the Fox and the weight savings is not that important to me, I'll save that fork for the wife's new DW Spot. And I can convert the CK hub to a 20mm TA.

A few extra $ for the RP23, a few less $ for a fixed travel RS fork, that may be the ticket.
    I can ponder all this on my snowy ride up the Colorado trail on the new Chumba HT (have I thanked you for this frame Larry?).
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Members who have read this thread: 0