NedwannaB

Coil shock on El Bastardo?

Just picked up a 140mm Vanilla fork with a 15mm thru axle. Will be getting a new rr shock son and wondering if I should just stick with the RP23 or match it to what's going to be up front. 140# rider.

What say yee, yay or nay?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Ultra Ventanaphile
    With any stock shock you get at 140#, its going to be over damped for you and the spring rate you'll need. I'd spend the money on getting the shock Pushed and get it custom tuned for your weight.

My $.02 anyway..
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

NedwannaB
    Hey thanks. Mine has 4" travel rockers and the Kashima RP23x2" now and I've been hearing that aswell the Kashimas aren't factory setup well for light riders such as myself. Switching to the 5.5" rockers in the future so that's the reason for the new shock.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    If you are switching rockers in the near future I'd wait until then to do the pushing as the kinetics of the 5.5 rockers are quite different than the 4". 4" = almost linear. 5.5 = rising rate.
    -Aaron G.

NedwannaB

Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    If you are switching rockers in the near future I'd wait until then to do the pushing as the kinetics of the 5.5 rockers are quite different than the 4". 4" = almost linear. 5.5 = rising rate.
    Yeah,I have to do both, rockers and longer shock to match, I'll look into doing it at that time. Are you suggesting I stay with an RP Float instead of a coil shock though? I assume they both can be tuned at PUSH right.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah,I have to do both, rockers and longer shock to match, I'll look into doing it at that time. Are you suggesting I stay with an RP Float instead of a coil shock though? I assume they both can be tuned at PUSH right.
    Sorry, I should have made that clear, yes Stick with the Push, the Air Shock is infinately better for your rider weight. You'll have a better functioning suspension with an Air shock that is tuned to your lighter weight, no matter the rockers used. I was just saying if you are going to go with the bigger rockers, don't send the RP until you have those on so that the PUSH tunes it for the correct kinetics. (Ratio, drive rate etc...).
    -Aaron G.

Team Chilidog!
    Just picked up a 140mm Vanilla fork with a 15mm thru axle. Will be getting a new rr shock son and wondering if I should just stick with the RP23 or match it to what's going to be up front. 140# rider.

What say yee, yay or nay?

Thanks in advance.
    175 lb rider here + gear on El Ciclon. I run full coil (Van 36 up front, CCDB rear). Personally not a fan of air shocks.

Been running the CCDB for a year (had problems with the Monarch+, which was a great shock when it worked), and I'll probably move to the DBair next year, but I'm not sure I want to do that because I really like the CCDB. Heard really good things about the DBair though, and that's really tempting.

Anyway, the 2012 Ciclon and my old X-5 does fine on the CCDB, so I don't see the issue if you want to give it a shot.

I did try the DHX coil on the X-5, but I didn't like it. Too spikey.

NedwannaB
    Sorry, I should have made that clear, yes Stick with the Push, the Air Shock is infinately better for your rider weight. You'll have a better functioning suspension with an Air shock that is tuned to your lighter weight, no matter the rockers used. I was just saying if you are going to go with the bigger rockers, don't send the RP until you have those on so that the PUSH tunes it for the correct kinetics. (Ratio, drive rate etc...).
    Bump! Have the 140mm Vanilla and new wheel mounted. It's still got the 4" rockers/shock. The A-C is only about 10mm longer then the Float 130 that was set up at 110mm travel for the build. Thoughts on running it this way (100mm rear) until I get the original 5.5"rockers/longer shock to match? I have an email going into the Ventana office tomorrow but thought I'd kick it around on here as well.

Thanks in advance.

Team Chilidog!
    Bump! Have the 140mm Vanilla and new wheel mounted. It's still got the 4" rockers/shock. The A-C is only about 10mm longer then the Float 130 that was set up at 110mm travel for the build. Thoughts on running it this way (100mm rear) until I get the original 5.5"rockers/longer shock to match? I have an email going into the Ventana office tomorrow but thought I'd kick it around on here as well.

Thanks in advance.
    It should feel fine. The extra 10mm will slacken the head angle half a degree and the BB will go up maybe 3-4mm (as far as I remember).

Let us know what Ventana says.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Let us know what Ventana says.
    Got the green light seal of approval from Mr Sherwood. Still wants me to get the 140mm rockers at somepoint so I can get the full potential of the design. Soon, Sherwood, soon.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Sorry JMac, been busy at work. While Anne is right, the 10mm longer AC wont' be a big change in Geometry, I'd be more concerned about the mismatched travel. Specifically ramp up, the 140 Fork is going to feel smoother than the rear, as hitting an obstacle might only push the fork into the midrange of it's travel say 90mm, and rear will be forced near the max. If you don't notice this too much now (with 130/100) then it might not be a big deal, but just something you should be aware of.
    -Aaron G.

NedwannaB
    Sorry JMac, been busy at work. While Anne is right, the 10mm longer AC wont' be a big change in Geometry, I'd be more concerned about the mismatched travel. Specifically ramp up, the 140 Fork is going to feel smoother than the rear, as hitting an obstacle might only push the fork into the midrange of it's travel say 90mm, and rear will be forced near the max. If you don't notice this too much now (with 130/100) then it might not be a big deal, but just something you should be aware of.
    It's been setup 110f/100r so I may notice. Felt good spinniong around the neighboorhood. Will find out Sat be first dirt ride on it since mods, unfortunately first ride for me period in a couple weeks being down with the flu crud. The "bike" will be fine I'm sure.

NedwannaB
    Yum, love the new Vanilla flavored 140mm up front!