mtbr member

Clunking noise on El Salt

So, I have a '07 El Salt with RP23 on stock (4" Travel) rockers. Anyway, I've noticed a pretty loud "Clunk"-type noise that occurs sporadically when rolling fast through "moderate-to-gnarly" rough terrain. Seems to be coming from rear part of bike, but other than that I can't discern a particular locus of origin for the noise. Sounds like a particularly loud "metal-on-metal" noise (not like typical chainslap). Shock mounts are tight, lizard skin on chainstay seems to protect against chainslap, and hubs are not loose.

Any ideas what this noise is? Anybody else have this issue with their Salty? Normally I wouldn't care, but the noise is SO LOUD that I slow down for fear that something is gonna break...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Did you check all the pivot hardware? So does it happen only during a hard suspension hit or also while riding along? Try this.....lift up the rear of the bike by the seat....feel any play in the rear linkage? If so then you need to replace the DU Bushings in the shock eyelets.
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 02-27-2008 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. No play whatsoever at pivot hardware - everything seems nice and tight on inspection. Yeah, it only happens when jammin' in pretty rocky terrain, especially "square-edged" stuff (which I find myself in pretty frequently). Riding on smooth terrain does not produce the noise.

mtbr member
    what rear derailleur are you running ?

mtbr member
    older shimano r.der's had a tendacy to spring forward and impact against the chainstay making a similiar sound to the on you've described. And since you've checked the pivots and DU bushing we can rule that out for now.

check the knuckle of that r.der and let us know if you see any scuffs on it....if you do see a few then try using something to soften the impact. I've tried some of that insulation tape with a back sided adhesive OR zip tied a small piece of rubber (old tube) and had good luck.

if you don't have a shimano der then we can go back and scratch our heads.
    Last edited by nwmtb; 02-28-2008 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    What about your freehub?

Baller/Biker

Thunk sound?

I've had that sound stop me cold on rides...I posted a few months back about piviots and how to maintain them but I found it to be my Rear X.O derailure. I was so relieved it was not my pivots that I didnt even fix it yet. just fyi..so you dont lose any sleep over it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    what rear derailleur are you running ?
    I've got a '08 XTR High Normal Rear D. I'll check for scuffs, etc. on it when I get home today.

As far as the freehub goes, what the best way to check that - do you just kinda jiggle the cassette around to see if there's play?