Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ciclon V Salty

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ciclon V Salty

I was hoping for some help from you Ventanians!

I would like to get on board one these rides but unfortunately I am finding it hard to make a decision as I can not test ride either. ... hard to find in Australia. I ride xc/24 hr/12hr/ trail ride on weekends. I want something plush but still efficient to ride. I am selling the road bike so will be riding it on the road as well. I require a durable bike so I’m thinking a Ventana is the way to go…. Or maybe a Yeti.

To help me out can you guys answer the following questions please:

1. Is there a big difference in the ride between both bikes
    2. Difference between a Ciclon and 5”rocker arm on a salty. i.e why buy a Ciclon if a salty does both?
    3. Is there much mash /bob in the suspension when riding
    4. Also considering a Yeti 575 but not sure if this is going to be too much travel

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Welcome to the forum, palette!

1. I haven't ridden a Ciclon so I can't compare directly
    2. the geometry is different...if you want 5" travel get a ciclon, the BB height and angles will be "as designed"
    3. on my salty there is minimal bob with the "stock" propedal on my Float R.
    4. The 575 is a great bike, I used to own one....great climber and descender. The old model had a bit of a flexy rear under my 100kg weight, but the 08 model seems to have addressed this nicely.

Just consider what you will be riding most of the time and get a bike for it.... the Salty may have "only" 4" of travel, but it is tough as nails too....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    hey pallette, where about's are you? I am in ringwood east in melbourne and can get you a ride on a salty if you're in the area.

as for the questions, i answer exactly as crisillo does except i have never ridden a 575..
    as crisillo says the bikes handle best at the travel they have been designed for. although the salty is still an awesome bike at 5inchs front and back it is not as good as 4 inches front and back.

pedalling efficiency will depend a bit on your technique. my riding focus is very similar to yours. I owned a salty a couple of years back and i'm considering getting another one. you probably can't go wrong with either the el salt or the el ciclon.

ventana is definitely the way to go.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by John U
    as crisillo says the bikes handle best at the travel they have been designed for
    After moving from a 5" bike that I was running in 6" to the 6" bike, I couldn't agree more!

Welcome Turner Homers!

Ask yourself what you really need....

....5" of travel isn't necessary for most people. Now that's no reason not to get it: Who doesn't get a kick out of having more bike than they need. But the the thing with the Salty is how bottomless it feels in 4" mode. You could run it with 30% sag and probably never bottom out on your average singletrack. If you're bombing rocky downhills, yeah 5" of travel is pretty nice.

For climbing purposes, I really like the salty in 5" mode with the fork dialed down to around 115mm or so. You get a forward bias with this setup and lotsa traction this way -- arguably better than a Salty in 4" mode.

As a singletracker, the Salty in 4" or 5"/4" really rips around the corners to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by palette
    I was hoping for some help from you Ventanians!

I would like to get on board one these rides but unfortunately I am finding it hard to make a decision as I can not test ride either. ... hard to find in Australia. I ride xc/24 hr/12hr/ trail ride on weekends. I want something plush but still efficient to ride. I am selling the road bike so will be riding it on the road as well. I require a durable bike so I’m thinking a Ventana is the way to go…. Or maybe a Yeti.

To help me out can you guys answer the following questions please:

1. Is there a big difference in the ride between both bikes
    2. Difference between a Ciclon and 5”rocker arm on a salty. i.e why buy a Ciclon if a salty does both?
    3. Is there much mash /bob in the suspension when riding
    4. Also considering a Yeti 575 but not sure if this is going to be too much travel

Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I second that opinion.

I have a Salty with 5" in the back and running about 112-115 in the front and it is awesome!

If you will do a lot of road miles, you may be better off with the Salty (at 4") and just get the 5" rockers (like I did) and find the setup that works for you best. You can always throw on the 5" rockers when you're heading to a more rugged trail.....

VVVVVVV

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Welcome to the forum, palette!
    I am sure I am not alone when I say this but please stop being such a phony! I have yet to see you say anything mean spirited to anybody and frankly, it makes me sick. I dont buy it for a second and am quite convinced you may be an ax murderer

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I am sure I am not alone when I say this but please stop being such a phony! I have yet to see you say anything mean spirited to anybody and frankly, it makes me sick. I dont buy it for a second and am quite convinced you may be an ax murderer

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks guys. Im in Brisbane John and would have liked to have taken you up on your offer.

A salty with 5"rocker v Ciclon- do they ride the same?

Hey Crisillo, How do you find the transition from the 575 to 4" of travel?

Hey Crisillo, How do you find the transition from the 575 to 4" of travel?
    nice.... because I also got a Terremoto to cover the long travel range

now seriously, the Salty is very stout, but also very fast...it doesn't bob, yet the suspension is compliant.... it's really nice

Welcome Turner Homers!

Fo's right....

...I think we should all be picking on people -- especially newcomers -- a little more on this board.

Maybe we should start a poll called "Who has the gheyest Ventana?" That would stir things up. If Fo were a moderator, I'm certain he would make it a sticky.

Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

Quote Originally Posted by el Turtlehead

Maybe we should start a poll called "Who has the gheyest Ventana?" That would stir things up. If Fo were a moderator, I'm certain he would make it a sticky.
    but then he would win right away........

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    One of my friends owns a Yeti 575 and I've owned three Ventanas( Saltamontes, La Bruja, and El Capitan ).............in comparison the 575 does not feel as solid or in my opinion come close to the quality of any Ventana FS frames I've owned anyway ! Yeah a nice ride maybe for lightweights but not for me ! From what I experienced with my Saltamontes setup with 5" travel I would recommend the Ciclon (geometry correct for 5" travel ) even though the Salt was okay for the most part at 5" or 130 mm travel ( in front) it felt more balanced when I reduced the travel of my fork to around 115 or 120 mm travel for most singletrack trail riding I do ! Its really tough to answer what someone else would be happy with though..........since there are so many variables ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 02-05-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Shot Down in Flames...
    A salty with 5"rocker v Ciclon- do they ride the same?
    I'm going to go against the grain and say that you should get a Salty with both rockers. I've run mine in several different configurations of forks and rockers. Right now it's in 5" mode with a CCDB & Pike @140mm.

I also have ridden a Ciclón that was set up nearly identical to mine (mudpie's). I also rode the same frame set-up 6"x6" (when RSutton owned it). The ride is more similar in 5" mode than different. The Salty is a little more nimble due to it's shorter wheelbase. The bottom bracket is a little higher, but I like that as well.

If I were to buy a dedicated 5" frame the Ciclón would be the choice. If I wanted something more versatile I would buy the Salty & 5" rockers.

YMMV,
    D.

I wish tscheezy owned ventanas since he could easily answer this for us. heck, even if he didnt he should be able to provide a robust response

I wish tscheezy owned ventanas since he could easily answer this for us. heck, even if he didnt he should be able to provide a robust response
    or at least we would get some Barny pics

or at least we would get some Barny pics
    indeed!

its really a shame that the ventana forum does not have a Prom King and Queen like the Homer forum (no, it would not be squeaky and I)

(no, it would not be squeaky and I)
    you read my mind...

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    nice.... because I also got a Terremoto to cover the long travel range

now seriously, the Salty is very stout, but also very fast...it doesn't bob, yet the suspension is compliant.... it's really nice

Yeah...........but a Ciclon would split the difference in weight and travel but like yourself I have both a 6" travel and 4" travel Ventana ! I just purchased a 5.5" travel frame to add to the mix but thats another story ! Just Curious is the Saltamontes and Ciclon that much different in weight using the same shock and frame size ? TIG

Shot Down in Flames...
    its really a shame that the ventana forum does not have a Prom King and Queen like the Homer forum (no, it would not be squeaky and I)
    Yeah, but we have fattfreddie &awol posting up hotties with Ventanas. I'll take that any day!

D.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    I just purchased a 5.5" travel frame to add to the mix but thats another story !
    and one of the best around to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Yeah, but we have fattfreddie &awol posting up hotties with Ventanas. I'll take that any day!

D.
    very good point, D!

BTW...did you see my Pikefied Salty?

Salty with Pikes

mtbr member
    I'd say the Ciclon & Salty 5 can tackle the same ground. The Ciclon is a little beefier but it's about geo., IMO and what you want out of the bike in regards to handling. So think that through.

Since I've been on my Salt, I've pushed my riding and constantly looking for more. I am now on the same path as Crisillo and many others. I'm riding an '06 Salt mainly in 5" and in the process of building an X-Moto. I'm more of a proponent of a two bike stable than a one bike for all occasions. Granted the Ciclon or 575 for that matter can manage the task but I prefer to broaden the scope from a classic 70 HA and option of running 4" or 5" rockers to the much slacker moto with a flexible build from stout to burly.

To answer you questions more directly...

1. Is there a big difference in the ride between both bikes. - As mentioned above, IMO only geo with the Ciclon being slacker. The Salt may provide a better range for your style.. a bit quicker handling but very capable.

2. Difference between a Ciclon and 5"rocker arm on a salty. i.e why buy a Ciclon if a salty does both? -- Getting into personal preferences & not having ridden an Ciclon, can't accurately comment. I think when you begin to run the Salt. with a fork above 120mm you get some drift during climbs. I pretty much keep mine at 115mm. Love the bike.

3. Is there much mash /bob in the suspension when riding. -- slight tho it depends on if you spin or mash. As with most any rig. Nothing a well tuned shock can not handle. Even poorly tuned, the newer platforms would sort it out.

4. Also considering a Yeti 575 but not sure if this is going to be too much travel. -- 575 is a nice bike. I've never ridden an '08 but earlier models were a little loose in the rear. Regardless I did like it. It provides a flexible platform to build a propose driven bike.

That said, I am now onto my second Ventana. The options/range in custom work with Ventana sold me as fit has always been an issue. The build quality and ride kept me.
    I figure the odds be fifty-fifty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Would it be an acceptable ride to run 120mm fork but retain the 4"rockers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Would it be an acceptable ride to run 120mm fork but retain the 4"rockers?
    palette,
    check my 100mm fork on a fuego thread. It sounds like op is doing exactly that and loves it. Can't comment my self but i think it would make the front end wander a bit too much on the climbs. I loved my el salt at 4 and 4 and wouldn't have it any other way (probably repeating myself now)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast