Lightly salted

Ciclon, trail killing goodness!

Fresh rebuild, new parts, new powder coat and added iscg tabs to my Ciclon. My goal was for a light weight trail killer and Im very happy with the results! I own an HD that I could run 140mm or 160mm so I wanted to see if I can reduce the travel on my ciclon to get some more seperation between the 2 bikes. My hd's 140mm shock happend to be the same eye to eye but with 1/4" less stroke than the ciclons shock. I had emailed Ventana months ago to see if it would be ok to use this shock and how much travel it would give me. The said its good to go and would give me 135mm/125mm travel. I decided to try it in 125mm mode, and after a few rides Im impressed! Sprints forward like an xc race bike but with the aggressive geo of the ciclon makes for a great feel out on the trails! Heres a few pictures of my fresh rebuild..

Last edited by fuenstock; 09-20-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Team Chilidog!
    Looks great!

What fork are you running on it? I'm not familiar with the RS forks.

What does your ride weigh? Did the shock (7.87 x 2.0) affect the geo at all?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Looks great!

What fork are you running on it? I'm not familiar with the RS forks.

What does your ride weigh? Did the shock (7.87 x 2.0) affect the geo at all?
    Thanks,
    The fork is a 2012 Revelation RLT Ti dual air 150mm travel, tapered steerer and 20mm axle. The fork came with a bunch of diffrent color stickers so I added the red ones to fit the build. Great forks. It takes a little more effort to setup compared to other forks, but once you have it dailed in they feel really good.
    The shorter stroke shock does not effect geo since it is really just a 2.25 stroke shock that has been shimmed to not use the last 1/4" of travel so the geo is the same. The shock eye to eye is the same as the stock ciclon shock.
    On my cheap-o fishing scale which probably isn't very accurate it comes in a hair under 27lbs as pictured with the pedals and a bunch of stans fluid in the tires.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Best looking Ciclon build I've seen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice bike.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

Map Maker
    what size is that frame? and what kind of standover does it give you?
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Nice looking El Siklet.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess View Post
    what size is that frame? and what kind of standover does it give you?
    The frame is a stock small, no custon geo. The standover with 150mm fork is around 30-1/2". I'm short at 5'5" with a 29" inseam so I learned many years ago to step off to the side when stopping. I pretty much won't have any standover clearance on most any frame I get. If I were to buy a new ciclon I would ask to have it built with the new teremoto top tube if I felt I needed more standover. Great bikes with a high fun factor!

Lightly salted
    Update,
    Still riding my ciclon with 125mm rear and 150mm travel upfront. Very impressed with the performance. It's a quick bike in this setup and would be perfect as a super d bike on a course with lots of pedaling. I'm not missing the lost rear travel, and feel it really hasnt effected it's decending. The uphills feel like your on an xc race bike, with stable aggressive geo for the downs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Like the light build. However, wouldn't the shock "mod" be identical to just adding air to the stock shock, save that you'd reach bottom-out sooner on the mod version?

Lightly salted
    Adding extra air to the stock shock made for a very harsh ride in the rough. I happened to have a spare shock with the same eye to eye as the ciclon's shock only with 1/4" less stroke. This didn't change geo only amount of travel to 125mm/133mm instead of 140mm/150mm.
    I did this because the ciclon felt to much like my mojo hd 160mm and I wanted to get some more separation between the bikes. Before I did this I was thinking of selling the ciclon for a shorter travel bike but couldn't find one with aggressive geo like the ciclon that had the measurments I wanted. I'm very pleased with the results and actually ride the ciclon more than the hd now that its so efficient and still being very fun in down sections. The ciclon now feels more efficient than the hd which I wouldn't believe possible.
    Some things I didn't like about the stock shock with high volume canister was that it blew through its travel very easy even with minimal sag and a large volume spacer in it. If I added extra air to help with bottom out then the small bump would be harsh.
    The shock from my hd happened to be a small air canister and found it works really good. It has very good bottom out control and a very progressive feel with good mid stroke support making the ciclon pop alot easier on jumps wheres the stock shock I felt like it didn't have the mid stroke support that I wanted. Small bump compliance was also good. So to sum it up, the reduced travel and small air canister gives the bike good small bump compliance, improved mid stroke support and better bottom out at least for the way I like a bike to feel.
    I know this is not for every body and some would question why I would want to reduce travel, but for me and my riding it just made sense. All I care about is having fun on my bike and this for me has increased the fun factor. I could hit the pump track, dirt jumps, race dual slalom and ride the trails all on one bike. I just wanted to post my experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't want to sound like I'm crit'ing your build; that thing is sweet for sure. I can also see the value of tightening up the handling with stiffer suspension. Just wondering whether you might be able to get the best of both worlds by running the low volume can at the pressure you're now using, but with 2.25" of stroke.

Lightly salted
    Thats actually something I been wanting to try since the small air can from the 2" stroke shock will fit the stock 2-1/4" stroke shock. I just haven't got around to it. I like experimenting with suspension setups. I'm happy with it for now. I'm sure there are alot who wouldn't like it and thats ok. I'm not suggesting it's better than stock, it's just a different feel. If I try the small air can on the 2-1/4 stroke shock, I'll post my experience.