mtbr member

... and if we just ... Charles (Hamerheadbikes) you gotta quite holden back the goods!

You have now ridden the El Chamuco, X5 and X5 with the 6" rockers, and all we get is "damm nice ride". YOUR KILLIN US! You gotta give us a good ride report and a comparison between the three bikes. Give us some Ventana love bro!

mtbr member
    This is the reason for a good 6" travel bike, one good point with the X5, you can build it with air shock/Talas fork for a sub 30lbs bike or 6" rockers, Romic shock and one of these.
    A 150mm or 170mm, and check out the new 20mm front drop outs, is said to weigh about 6 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    ok...
    well..
    where to start?
    I think the best thing to do would be look at the intended apps and spec the appropriate frame/setup

X5 and ELChamuco:

ElChamuco: I think it's best suited for "real" freeriding, it runs a shorter seattube for a given length toptube compared to the X5 which means you gotta run a lot of post to get "proper" leg extension for trail riding and climbing. I think it works as advertized, a freeride bike made for hucking and dropping in sick stuff. Think of it as a Bullet on steroids! It's a LOT stiffer frame and obviously better made.

X5 with air shocks: This is a great setup with either a propedal or 5th element rear (or a 3 way once we get the interferance issue resolved) and perhaps a talas up front
    great reasonably light 5" stiff and tough trail bike. Very nimble handling

X5 with Romic 5" rear and Manitou Firefly: Not as buttery as I wanted, blame it on the SPV fork. A Fox Vanilla 125 is a bit shorter and thus a tad quicker steering. A Z1 is taller and slower. enter:

x5 with 6" rocker and romic: This raises the bb about a 1/2" and thus steepens the HA about a 1/2 degree. It balances out very, very nicely with a z1 fr coil. Both in terms of suspension feel and performance and handling. measured HA at 69 to 69.5
    I am used to a 71 on my HH and a shorter wheelbase but honestly I don't have any problems riding really tight stuff on this bike. very solid feel (stiff frame), very balanced bike doing slow speed technical riding. Climbs really well and hooks up.

This is the setup I will ride the most as I already have my 25-26lb 4" air bike, the HH100X which I absolutely love. But well, more bikes are fun!

Now, x5 with 6" rear to Elchamuco:
    The x5 rear feels more sopisticated and just more "right" to _me_ and the overall balance and handling of the bike feels more right to me

I haven't slapped a 6" fork on the bike yet, my reservation would be the taller front end and overall increase in ride height/center of gravity for my slow speed tech riding

I can totally see having that setup run with a lot of sag if I lived somewhere where I was doing long climbs up or chairlifts and then bombing back down! Our riding is very rough but it's tight and up/down, up/down in short hard spurts

a glimpse into the future?

an x5 with the longer shock installed from the start and a 5/6" rocker
    and a 5/6" fork that didn't increase the spring preload when going from 6 down to 5

whoo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Which Marz fork is that?

Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    This is the reason for a good 6" travel bike, one good point with the X5, you can build it with air shock/Talas fork for a sub 30lbs bike or 6" rockers, Romic shock and one of these.
    A 150mm or 170mm, and check out the new 20mm front drop outs, is said to weigh about 6 pounds.
    Which fork is that?

mtbr member

Hey Charles, any feedback on the reliability

of the ProPedal shock. Rich

Still chuggin' along
    Charles,
    Are you still riding with the Blue Groove/Nevegal setup? How's that working out for you on the X5? Any clearance issues? I just got one ride on them and am AMAZED at how sticky they are!

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    Which fork is that?
    2005 something or other from the Taiwan bike show. There is a thread in the shocks section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    Which fork is that?

Yeah, its an 05 fork, would be a great fork for that 6" Ventana your going to get, but you will have to wait a year to get it. Its based on the 888R, its called the 66. 6" of travel and a bit over 6pounds. Has the same 20mm drop outs as the 888R.

mtbr member
    Charles, thanks for the ride report, what is the head angles of the standard X5? I do like slacker angles like 68-69, I thought that the X5 had steep angles like 70 or so, I would rather be wong.

mtbr member
    a few responses:
    propedal shocks, standard fox, very reliable, sure, there are the occasional issues but overall they are extremely durable

head angle: x5 with a 5" rear and a Fox 125 is about 70, with a taller Marzocchi 130 (about an inch taller) it's going to be 69, maybe a tad slacker

here's a pic of the bike

oh, and our new basuguard, notice the beer bottle opener

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    a few responses:
    propedal shocks, standard fox, very reliable, sure, there are the occasional issues but overall they are extremely durable

head angle: x5 with a 5" rear and a Fox 125 is about 70, with a taller Marzocchi 130 (about an inch taller) it's going to be 69, maybe a tad slacker

here's a pic of the bike

oh, and our new basuguard, notice the beer bottle opener
    Nice!
    What size and type Kenda's are you running?
    I was looking at your site and was totally wowed by the deal you have going on Kenda's

Thanks
    Voltron

mtbr member
    those are 2.35 blue grooves
    sticke compound
    great on wet rocks

when it dries up a bit more I will go back to Cortez 2.4s, a bit lighter and faster rolling minus the sticke compound

thanks

Bodhisattva

Charles...

What rock-ring is that on your XT crankset?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. How much sag were you running with the 6" X5 setup? Could you tell much of a difference in pedaling?

I really like the 2.35 BG's and Nevegals they hook up will is most soft to intermediate conditions. Is the 2.4 Cortez narrower than the Nevegal w/ the shorter knobs? I've been battling some clearance issues and every mm counts, but really like that sticke compound.

mtbr member
    the cortez may be a tad wider
    they are very similiar

rockring is something we are working on, me and a buddy
    have done one for 03/04 XTR as well
    have it on my HH, big ring in place and protects it

I never wanted them before but even at cost XTR big rings are steep and they get banged up within a ride or two, so... it's nice to have
    the X5 is for more slow really tech riding where I never get in the big ring and so I just took it off.. the clearance is really nice. I usually run a 12-34 cassette but on the x5 I put on an 11-34 for a bit more highspeed work