jbf
    mtbr member

Chamuco as east cost trail bike ?

I have always enjoyed my single pivot bikes (1997 Heckler, 2003 Loco Moto) and am concidering a Chamuco for its long travel single pivot design and excellent reputation for build quality. I am not a freerider, but I do ride exceptionally rough terrain in the woods of CT. I would probably mount a 2002 Z1 FR and figure it would still be reasonably light (30 lbs.) built up with the parts I have already. I weigh 165+/- lbs with gear.

Is this overkill for a trail bike? and who has a good deals on these? I'm not afraid of a used frame if there are any sellers out there.

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Are you pretty firm on the single pivot?

Don't know if you are interested in any other frame, but I have a Small Titus Quasi-Moto for sale in the classifieds if interested. I can work on the price a little.

Bodhisattva
    It would be a killer aggressive trail bike, as would the Quasi that the other poster is selling.

Hold on a bit longer. They're likely to go on sale shortly. Talk with Larry Mettler at Mtn High Cyclery: mtnhighcyclery@attbi.com

jbf
    mtbr member

I would need a medium ...

The quasi-moto looks like a great frame too. I might concider it if she was a medium. I am sure my fixation with single pivot bikes is irrational, but I have had great experiance with them to-date. It is probably more a matter of me not knowing what I am missing with all the multi-link, stable platform stuff out there today.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf
    I have always enjoyed my single pivot bikes (1997 Heckler, 2003 Loco Moto) and am concidering a Chamuco for its long travel single pivot design and excellent reputation for build quality. I am not a freerider, but I do ride exceptionally rough terrain in the woods of CT. I would probably mount a 2002 Z1 FR and figure it would still be reasonably light (30 lbs.) built up with the parts I have already. I weigh 165+/- lbs with gear.

Is this overkill for a trail bike? and who has a good deals on these? I'm not afraid of a used frame if there are any sellers out there.
    I don't think it's a question of 6" travel or the burly frame being overkill. The real question is whether you'll enjoy steering through the CT woods with a 68 degree head angle. I like sub-70 degree head angles on anything other than a road bike but some people think my Chamuco and Bianchi BuSS handle like choppers.

Your weight target might be a bit optimistic. My Chamuco is 32 lbs. with a Fox TALAS. My rear wheel (F219 rim, 14G spokes and brass nipples) and tires (Panaracer Cinder 2.25 @ 760g) are a bit heavy but everything else is light.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have to agree with andy here that the head angle of the bike could be too shallow for woods riding. The head angle might be the achilles heel of the Chamuco, because the frame is absurdly sweet in every other regard.

I'm riding a medium Chamuco with a Z150, and have measured the head angle at about 66.5 degrees, with a wheelbase over 45". (Even with the fork locked down to around 4" of stanchion showing, the head angle is about 68.5.) At high speeds and on steeps here in Southern California, the long, low, and slack geometry of the bike shines. On the other hand, the bike gets somewhat tough to manage whenever speeds are relatively slow and trails are highly technical, two mainstays of riding in the Northeast. Having lived and ridden extensively in New England before moving out West, I'd say that a frame with a shorter wheelbase and a steeper head angle would better suit technical NE woods riding. If you do go with a Chamuco, look into a fork with a relatively short axle-to-crown...

jbf
    mtbr member

Using a 130mm fork with axle-crown = 502mm

I was planning on using a 2002 model Z1 Freeride fork. 2002 models had a lower axle-to-crown than the current versions, approximately 502mm versus the 538mm I've seen quoted for your Z150. I figure that should give back a couple degrees of of head angle over what you have measured on your El Chamuco. This matches up with Ventana's online spec sheet which quotes a 68 degree head angle with a 20.2" (513mm) axle-to-crown dimension, which also should put me in the 68.5 degree range with my fork.