mtbr member

Chamuco as a DH'er?

Im mainly just tring to draw up some Chamie chat, I have two freinds that raced this last weekend at BB, both have never raced before so they both entered there respected age group classes and both took first place. They both ride equally built 03 Bullits built with 04 Shivers and heavy duty parts, both bikes weigh about 42lbs. There respected times would also put them in the top six in the sport class, so I guess they did fairly well. I said all that just to lay a foundation on the bikes they ride, BB has some loose deep top soil, big tires are a must, rocks ruts and some rather large jumps.
    My thought regarding the Chamuco is a question regarding the ability to compete against a bike with 7" of rear travel and a DH fork, equal riding talents aside, would you guy's race a Chamuco on some DH corses, or is it just out of its element.
    Please note that Im not tring to slam a Chamuco, I already have one, I dont plan on racing DH, It would be fun to mess around in some local DH races with it as I dont have a "DH" bike so this is the bike I would use, so would equal riders just plain smoke me? I already know its a great trailbike, so perhaps the trails it should stay!

mtbr member
    First I would consider the race your friends did this weekend. The BB amatuer course was pretty tame and had one pretty long climb. From what my Expert friends told me a 6" or 7" bike with a single crown fork was the ideal weapon for that course. It also sounds like your friends raced Beginner in which a Bullit with a 7" fork would be a very nice bike.

Second, a 7+” Bullit or ASX are much more DH bikes than the 6” Chamuco. I really do notice a difference between my Chamuco and my friend’s ASXs on DH type trails. That extra 1+” of travel is pretty noticeable.

With all that being said I do think that my Chamuco would be pretty fast on a tight twisty DH course or a mellow pedaling course like BB. The HA is slack, the BB is low, the frame is tough and the suspension is good. A year ago I won an Expert DH race at Bootleg Canyon on my 6” bike with a 5” fork. My DH bike was in for repairs, so I raced my play bike. That bike had very good geometry (like the Chamuco) and cornered like mad. It was sketch on the high-speed descents, but ripped the corners and made up time on the pedaling sections. In all honesty I felt fast on that bike, but I didn’t think I would win.
    Pivot Firebird
    Hightower 29
    Tallboy 3
    Pivot LES SS
    Salsa Beargrease C
    Giant TCX

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott, I just got my Hope adapter and 200mm Hope rotor from you guy's, Thanks!

How will the Chamuco/Manitou Firefly 20mm TA do at Brianhead? I will be there at the end of June with some buds, know of any special trails for us to hit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    Thanks Scott, I just got my Hope adapter and 200mm Hope rotor from you guy's, Thanks!

How will the Chamuco/Manitou Firefly 20mm TA do at Brianhead? I will be there at the end of June with some buds, know of any special trails for us to hit?
    That bike should be great for Brianhead. They have a bunch of extended/epic DH trails with small climbs in them. A 6" bike would be perfect, but I've ridden a few of the trails on my full DH bike.

The two best DH shuttles are Dark Hollow and Blow Hard.

The whole Brianhead crew is awesome and the area is beautiful.
    Pivot Firebird
    Hightower 29
    Tallboy 3
    Pivot LES SS
    Salsa Beargrease C
    Giant TCX

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott, Im really looking foward to this trip. We'll be stopping and riding some of the local trails in St George for a day then heading out to Brianhead. Have you done any recent mods to the Chamuco? I want to find a Ti spring.

Another question for ya since you sell both, what bike would you rather ride at BH, a Chamuco set simular to yours or a compable Yeti 575? (5" fork and more heavy duty parts and components)
    Last edited by ride red; 05-29-2004 at 11:22 AM.