moe.
    Sep 2005

Chain Suck Sucks...

I guess this was just a matter of time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

Captain Underpants
    Yeah, I had the same thing happen on my inaugural ride. bummer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ouch! That hurts!

Bring it.
    Loool my El Toro looks so much worse don't be a *****.

moe.
    Sep 2005

Well at least I got a half dozen rides in first.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Yeah, I had the same thing happen on my inaugural ride. bummer.
    On a side note today I wound up on a new section of single track that would have been suited for an RFX (at least at my skill level) - I walked some parts but still rode several sections with multiple 1 to 1.5 foot drops, etc. I was so pleased with how I felt on the El Padrino. True with 100 mm of front travel and a HA of 70.5 meant for an 80mm fork, my set up is pretty slack but it was so nice. The folks around me on 26ers were walking some sections I rode probably becuase I was less likely to endo on 29 inch wheels. The bottom line is I think I will be taking the El P. on some rides I have reserved only for my Sultan (e.g., Art Smith trail). Also, as nice as the Sultan is there is nothing like hammering up hill on a hardtail. This frame is truely the nicest HT I have ever owned which includes a Stumpjumper M3 Pro, Rig, Dos Niner and Sir Nine.

It nice to know I am not the only one with chain suck scars (that sounded ghey).
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

mtbr member
    My Chiquillo is badly marked too...that hurts the first time, ride on.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

SS or 1x9. that was my reasoning anyway

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    auch...

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtntrance
    On a side note today I wound up on a new section of single track that would have been suited for an RFX (at least at my skill level) - I walked some parts but still rode several sections with multiple 1 to 1.5 foot drops, etc. I was so pleased with how I felt on the El Padrino. True with 100 mm of front travel and a HA of 70.5 meant for an 80mm fork, my set up is pretty slack but it was so nice. The folks around me on 26ers were walking some sections I rode probably becuase I was less likely to endo on 29 inch wheels. The bottom line is I think I will be taking the El P. on some rides I have reserved only for my Sultan (e.g., Art Smith trail). Also, as nice as the Sultan is there is nothing like hammering up hill on a hardtail. This frame is truely the nicest HT I have ever owned which includes a Stumpjumper M3 Pro, Rig, Dos Niner and Sir Nine.
    I am having the exact same experience with My El Padrino. I love the way I can drop into a lower gear and power up a hill. My Sultan was not a slouch in the climbing department by any means; but the El Pad is a mean climbing machine. I have to be a bit more choosy when picking a downhill line, but I am finding the bike is very stable when pointed down and begs to be ridden faster. Lastly, I am not finding the Alu frame harsh at all--no more harsh than my Inbred was anyway--though I do notice the stiffness of the frame when speeding over long sections of stutter bumps. Going to try a Moots seatpost and see if that takes a little of the edge off.

These are just my initial impressions; I'll need at least a month's worth of riding before I'll feel qualified to review the bike.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I have had chain suck yet but I mostly ride my El Padrino as a commute bike. My first dirt ride I went over my handle bars and the seat stay smacked a rock......nice little ding and scratch to metal.

Shovel Ready
    Just be happy its not a Niner. That would have happened just wiping it down after a ride. I love my Sir9 but the paint is the worst I have ever seen on a frame.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

just along for the ride
    Chain suck is a sure sign someone was in the wrong ring at the wrong time. Never use worn chain rings with a newer chain especially in the lower rings. If its a ongoing problem go mrp

moe.
    Sep 2005

The whole drive train was brand spanking new.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Chain suck is a sure sign someone was in the wrong ring at the wrong time. Never use worn chain rings with a newer chain especially in the lower rings. If its a ongoing problem go mrp
    I think it was more a function of going to the correct chain ring (granny from middle) with an ackward torque. The chain rode in between the chain stay and the middle ring. My Ventana has minimal clearance between the chain stay and middle ring. This is a known design issue on the El Padrino and so it wasn't unexpected. I still love the frame and bought it knowing this. I can't say enough about the new XT gruppo either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Just be happy its not a Niner. That would have happened just wiping it down after a ride. I love my Sir9 but the paint is the worst I have ever seen on a frame.
    Totally agree. I posted something about this over in the Niner forum and didn't get a single reply.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    FWIW, I had chain suck with a brand new set of rings. Chainring wear has nothing to do with it.

MRP, on a CC bike? Dude.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 01-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is too bad since Ventanas look so good and clean. So has anyone mentioned this to Sherwood to see if he can address it in the future?

Chainsuck is horrible. My buddy had a bad case of it once and it took us 10-15 mins to get it out and by then the chain was mangled and a link was badly twisted. It didn't help that it was getting dark and we were near the top of the climb,on our way back and the descent was very techy and steep. I now have high sensitivity to chainsuck

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    That is too bad since Ventanas look so good and clean. So has anyone mentioned this to Sherwood to see if he can address it in the future?
    I'll be dropping Ventana an e-mail next week to see if they have any ideas. I may try adjusting the chainline by swapping one of the plastic spacers on my xt cranks. That would give me a chainline of 47.5 (instead of 50) which should be ok. But for now, I make sure that I am not under any load when going from middle to low, that seems to help a bit.

mtbr member
    I installed 1 of these & have no issues since. It's a very cheap fix.

http://ronniering.com/
    Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association- Advocate, Educate and Conserve
    You Dig? WWW.JORBA.ORG

WWW.MTBNJ.COM

mtbr member
    My chain suck on the chiquillo was resolved when I got rid of the 36 middle ring and when back to 22-32-42.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Captain Underpants

Update

Dumped the Middleburn ring and switched to a new 32T Shimano. No Chainsuck. I think in my case at least, the chain was hanging up on the shift pins. YMMV.