mtbr member
    Dec 2008

chain or carbon belt drive???

Which would go with for the El Commandante and why?

mtbr member
    Chain.

I've only spun around the block on a belt, but from what I've read it seems you have at least a 25% chance of it not working well at all.

A roller chain is going to be 3-5% more efficient than a belt.

Rings and cogs are much cheaper, and smaller in diameter for better ground clearance.

That's what I've got.
    Last edited by juan_speeder; 10-24-2011 at 06:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My buddy snapped the belt on his Spot, one of the new style belts with the center channel. They said it wasn't possible, not without some sort of specific damage already, but I saw it. There was no damage to it...that he knew about anyway. It only had a few rides on it. Not that chains don't break, mind you, but there is no fixing a belt in the field.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    MBA loved the belt drive version. Quiet and to clean the bike - just hose it off. My chain drive version is quiet and I can hose it down if I desire. I run a heavy Connex SS chain. To clean it I wipe off the grime with three revolutions and then apply lube. Every so often I wipe it down with Prolube. It's hassle free even with the sticky clay mud we have here. I feel the quality of chains has improved tremendously. It you do get the belt drive please review it.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    MBA loved the belt drive version. Quiet and to clean the bike - just hose it off. My chain drive version is quiet and I can hose it down if I desire. I run a heavy Connex SS chain. To clean it I wipe off the grime with three revolutions and then apply lube. Every so often I wipe it down with Prolube. It's hassle free even with the sticky clay mud we have here. I feel the quality of chains has improved tremendously. It you do get the belt drive please review it.
    Yup, they did, and I test rode that bike the weekend after it got back from them. Dead quiet, smooth operation. I had zero issues with the belt drive or the bike, first 29'er that I had fun with.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."