Bigger is better!
    May 2005

CDDB or PUSHed DHX for El Capitan in 5" mode?

I got my 5" El Cap w/RP23 this autumn, but Iīm already thinking of changing the stock RP23 with a coil shock because of my 245 lbs.
    Havenīt tried a coil on the bike yet, but "everyone" says that coil shocks are beneficial for clydes.

The PUSHed DHX is almost as expensive as the CDDB, so I put them in the same category. But I could also go the bang-for-the-buck route.

Any other shocks I should look at?

Iīm running a WB F135 in front by the way.

Powered by ice cream.
    A lot of discussion about this on the Turner board. You could search over there. I would say that the general consensus favors the CCDB and the Pushed Rocco (if you can find one) over the pDHX. Here is a good thread on the CCDB.

The advantage of the Pushed shock is that they set it and you forget it. The CCDB apparently has oodles of adjustment, and allows you to adjust it enough so that it really sucks. Seems like a great shock if you are really in to tuning for various conditions and what not.

Also look at Avalanche shocks as they have a reputation as a fine tuner as well.

FWIW, I have about 4 Pushed air shocks and no complaints.

If I were buying a coil I would lean toward the CCDB just because I like to futz with stuff.

Edit: If I were you in this position, I would absolutely send your current RP23 to them for the Push treatment. Cheapest option by far ($150 or so) and it will ride like a dream if not a coil. I don't know that you can tell much difference on a 5" travel rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Ditto, what Enel covered.

And why are you worried about the air shock, Your Cap is just 2.5:1 you are not overdriving the shock at all even at 245.

(I'm 230 +/- 5) on a Bruja and run an air shock with out any issues.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Thanks guys!

I have assumed that a coil will be hands down better than air for me as a clyde, but I guess I will have to try a coil first to see if I notice any difference.

As Iīm in Norway, sending the RP23 to PUSH would mean me being without a shock a little too long I think..

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    What is it that you dislike about the RP23 that is making think shock change? Are you bottoming it out? I had a Pushed Float AVA on my 2004 X-5. Then I picked up a stock RP3 on flee-bay. The Pushed Float performed better then the RP3 without all the PP adjustments. I also had PUSH install a bottom out bumper.

You could always buy a new RP23 from PUSH with all the bells and wistles then sell you RP23 on flee-bay. Or pick up a spare like I did so I wasn't without a bike. I would be tempted to try the CCDB since I like to fiddle with stuff.

Unfit Norwegian
    The CC engineers told me that the CCDB springs max out on 600 lbs/inch. That worried me, at 220 lbs, even though they said it doesnt matter on the CCDB (please explain why!). I stuck with my stock 08 DHC-C and 650 spring anyway.

mtbr member
    same here, I hesitate to get a CCDB but it is a whole lot more cash than what I am ready to drop for a shock. It seems to be the new Avy. It sure looks nice on paper but I think I'll go with pushing my DHX and may be going Ti #600 for 180lbs.

People are indeed running real soft springs on that CCDB about which I am clueless like you.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Team Chilidog!
    I went through this debate for my El Tigre, and I ended up with a Push'd DHX coil. I'm quite happy with it, and I'm sure it would have taken me forever to get my shock the way I wanted with the CCDB, but I was soooo close to getting one.

Either way, I don't think you'll regret it. I just don't like futzing with my shocks that much.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    The CC engineers told me that the CCDB springs max out on 600 lbs/inch. That worried me, at 220 lbs, even though they said it doesnt matter on the CCDB (please explain why!). I stuck with my stock 08 DHC-C and 650 spring anyway.
    There are guys heavier than you that ride harder than you with zero issues.

Unfit Norwegian
    Yeah, but WHY doesn't the CCDB require as stiff springs as other shocks?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Yeah, but WHY doesn't the CCDB require as stiff springs as other shocks?
    I believe it has to do with the CCDB not being position sensitive damping as it is more velocity sensitive damping.

At 208lbs I run a 500lb spring on a 2.75:1 compression ratio bike.
    Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I believe it has to do with the CCDB not being position sensitive damping as it is more velocity sensitive damping.

At 208lbs I run a 500lb spring on a 2.75:1 compression ratio bike.
    That's the gist of it.

For more detailed info...contact Malcolm at Cane Creek. He is the CCDB guru and he loves to talk about it.

I am not as technically minded as I would like to be about the shock. It is fun to watch people ride them for the first time though. It really is surprising how great they act on the trail.

Shot Down in Flames...
    One thing to remember about the CCDB is that they set it up at the factory for you just like PUSH. The difference is that if you want the set-up different you don't have to send it back, you can do it yourself. You become PUSH. Cane Creek's CS is top notch like Ventana and Turner.

I made a slight adjustment to the LS rebound from factory settings. Other than that Malcom & Paul nailed it.

D.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    One thing to remember about the CCDB is that they set it up at the factory for you just like PUSH. The difference is that if you want the set-up different you don't have to send it back, you can do it yourself. You become PUSH. Cane Creek's CS is top notch like Ventana and Turner.

D.
    So what adjustments do they make? Replace valves etc, or just using the 4 adjustments(HS+LS comp, HS+LS rebound)?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    So what adjustments do they make? Replace valves etc, or just using the 4 adjustments(HS+LS comp, HS+LS rebound)?
    I just ordered a CCDB, and spoke to Malcolm. The only custom tuning they do is the shim stack. This is based of off several factors, mostly related to the leverage ratio of the bike.

The 4 external settings are set at the middle position. They do this simply because each person has their own personal preferrences. They can tune the shock to thier liking, or based on the setup of another user I suppose, but it may not work for you.

But this is the best part of the the CCDB. You set it up the way YOU want it. Push, and even Avy have an idea of how your suspension works. They rely on their extensive tuning experience to determine what will work best for you. For people that really don't like to tinker, this is a great option. But I have come across threads where people do not like or prefer another shock (usually a CCDB) over either a Push or an Avy. I did not like the Push race system I had a chance to test. It is far better than the stock DHX though.

From what I have read, many people love the CCDB is it's shipped form. But the idea is to play. You can always set it back. Make 1 setting change and ride. Don't like it, change it back. One guy I ride with did not like the rebound setting on his Push. He was at the end of the adjustment range. Though Push changed it for free, he was without his shock for 2 weeks.

I am not trying to rag on Push or Avy, as they are certainly heads above the rest. I just like the idea of the CCDB so I make it work the exact way I choose.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

You can make a CCDB "feel" like a Push'd RP23, Avy, Push'd Roco, DHX-air....basically anything you want to. Their adjustment range incorporates everything. I like my CCDB to feel like a CCDB though, which equals better than all of the above and I can adjust it based on the type of riding I am doing that day...everything from FS roads to big drops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reading this is giving me a headache but that CCDB sure looks fantastic. I saw Beastro's CCDB and it looks like an Ohlins.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Ditto, what Enel covered.

And why are you worried about the air shock, Your Cap is just 2.5:1 you are not overdriving the shock at all even at 245.

(I'm 230 +/- 5) on a Bruja and run an air shock with out any issues.
    +1

The RP23 can handle the OP's weight

Wanting a coil shock is a different story altogether....
    Life....the original terminal illness