mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Calling all Swinger/5th Air users

I'm trying to get a consensus on how things are working out long term for those running the Swinger Air/5th Element air shocks on a Ventana rear. I had tried a Swinger 3-way in the spring and hated the way it felt with my Vanilla up front. I had my original Float PUSHed and was happy for awhile. I have recently though been struck with an incurable bout of upgradeitis and bought myself an F100x. Now I have the opposite problem, the rear moves more than the front and that feels weird. So, I am thinking of either trying another Swinger or 5th if they have their reliability problems sorted out. I have also thought about sending my Float back to PUSH to see if they can give me a firmer platform. All opinions are appreciated. Also if anyone is running the F100x, what have your experiences been? And how have you balanced front/rear suspension performance?
    Fezzy

banned
    I don't mean to be offensive to a fellow Ventana owner, but I think you're on a quest for the holy grail and ought to seal your checkbook and wallet with wax for a while.

now with that "prudent comment" out of the way ()...

I think that if you're trying to find a rear suspension that feels exactly like a certain fork's action or vice versa, you're going to have a REALLY hard time, if you're using platform damping in the rear.

What I'm finding on Manitou's '04 and '05 forks with SPV is that forks don't and can't YET have that same platform feel that rear shocks deliver. They aren't able to get the suppleness in the "platform" that is achievable on a Romic, Curnutt, 5th E or ProPedal/TerraLogic shock. The fork "platform" feels much more locked out, no matter how you tune it.

I think the true fork "platform" valving is another year or two off. I really think the current SPV and SPV Evolve work great, but I don't mind their almost-locked-out feel. Seems that a lot of folks do, though -- read the reviews.

mtbr member
    Assuming that you still have it, you might consider sending your Vanilla fork to PUSH, as they are planning on tuning Fox Forx in the near future (I don't know if they're only doing RLC models or not...thought I heard something about that...well, just call them and see what they say). That way, with PUSHed shocks in the front and rear, things should feel more balanced.
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

banned
    that's excellent news, and I agree -- they'll get the balance right if anyone will.

11 is one louder than 10

thoughts

Had a 5th on my salty originally. I'm a big believer of having your front and rear shock have a similar progression/dampening action etc.

I started with a 5th element and a Talas up front. I thought the 5th worked exactly as descibed, heavy platform, very little bob but a bit less plush. Talas on the other hand is linear, frankly I think it's more plush than a fox vanilla. Just not a great balance.

So, sold the 5th and put on a Romic. Romic rode great when it was working (still does) a better match for the talas, but I wanted to have a more progressive feel front and rear. So, I had a float R PUSH'd, and got a float 100 rlt up front.

GREAT balance. I really feel the bike rides evenly with this set up. Quick, acclerates great etc. I do think some sort of a platform is necessary on the Ventana rear to keep accleration snappy.

Lately though, I've wanted a more plush ride again and I'm kicking around the Talas and the Romic for a while. I felt it was a good balance also with the compression dampening turned down a bit on the Romic.

The f100x in my opinion is REALLY cool, it works amazingly well and paired with the Specialized Epic with the brain is pretty damn cool. Again this gets back to balance.

I think if any shock would work well with the Ventana and the f100x it would be the 5th element.

The cool thing about the brain and f100x though is once it opens it works like a normal float shock on small stuff etc. The 5th will still run a tad harsher, but overall I think that is your best bet.

Or run a progressive front shock like a float 100 with that pushed rear and I suspect you would find the balance you are looking for.

My opinions at least...
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the reply GG. I figured you would have some useful experience on the subject. On further inspection however, Im not minding the PUSH and F100x combo as much as I did in the beginning...especially on rougher trails which cause the F100x to be open more than not anyway. Come winter I may ask PUSH to add a bit more platform, but I think I will ride as is until then to avoid the downtime.

I agree the F100x is an amazing piece of engineering. Kind of akward at first but Im warming to it nicely. I thought initially that the inability to preload the fork for bunnyhops would bother me but I didnt notice it on the trail.
    Fezzy

11 is one louder than 10

no problem

And Yeah, terralogic is pretty cool. I do think however it works best on the specialized epic frames with the adjustable brain. Reason being is that both really work as float shocks with a progressive spring curve but lock out the same way.

You could have push do the race or XC mod on the rear shock and likely find a good balance as you mentioned.

I too found the terralogic to be a pain when bunnyhopping, that was another area I didn't like it. My biggest problem was that it seemed to accentuate the rear bobbing since all that downward force has to go somewhere. BUT with a heavy platform I think it would work well.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."