mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Cable housing options for internal routing

What kind of cables are folks running with the internal routing?

I have standard Avid/SRAM cables on my '12 Ciclon and it seems like my cables are starting to drag a bit. So, thinking of replacing them, but with what?

Looks like Gore is out of the consumer cable business, otherwise that is what I'd go with. However, looks like they may still be producing for SRAM only, but at $20 bucks more than the Gore cables used to go for?

I'm kind of interested to see if anyone has used a link style housing on the internal routing frames. Kind of like this: Mountain Elite Link Shift | Jagwire

I'm pretty sure you can't get the links through the frame as the Jagwire ones say they are 5mm in diameter and I'm pretty sure the tube in the frame is sized for 4mm diameter housing. However, I think the linked cable housing might be better for the cable tie points at the BB and on the rear chainstay as they look to be a lot more compressionless than most so called compressionless housings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I agree that the linked housing would seem to be ideal for the under-bb bends, but it seemed like too much of a PITA for me to give it a go. If you do go that route, it would be great to see/hear how it turns out.

As far as standard housing goes, everybody seems to agree that the Yokozuna premium stuff is the best traditional housing you can get. I don't know how supple the Yokozuna housing is--which seems key for the tight rear derailleur housing s-bend under the bb--but their cables and housing are reported to be very high quality.

Team Chilidog!
    I ran various Shimano cables. They were always drying out and needing to be changed with the Ventana internal routing. Hope you find something that works well. Please keep us posted, because we might do that with my husband's bike.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Shimano cable housing is awesome in straighter runs,(See my three year old brake cable housing on my road bike!) but FAR too stiff for tight bends. I've found the cheap stuff from Alligator and Jagwire has worked really well on the two bikes I've helped setup. Just buy a quality Teflon Cable and they run pretty smooth. I know one bike (ciclon) is on the same cable/housing well into its second year and the other lasted a year without noticeable performance loss, he just chose to replace his cables yearly.

Both however, are run here in NorCal with not much mud. YMMV.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."