mtbr member
    Jul 2009

bottom bracket questions

Hi, all.

Please pardon the newb question, but I'm hoping to get some input here. I have a two-part question. First, I have a 2008 El Ciclon that has a Race Face BB that is at least 4-5 years old. Virtually, all my riding is in dirt, but just recently I rode through some creek crossings (nothing that covered the BB) and a couple days later found that my BB had a lot of resistance. I went on a ride and halfway through it experienced some loud howling/squeaking at the BB which I'm assuming was due to the water/dirt entering the BB. I'm somewhat shocked that a little water could be so problematic. Is the cause of the problem a result of old seals that have degraded over time and that normally a BB that is in good condition should be more resistant to water?

My second question is if there are any specific criteria I need to keep in mind when shopping for a new BB? Recommendations for a good, bang-for-the-buck BB would be appreciated, as well.

Thanks very much.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Take a can of wd40 and spray/soak it down, wipe down the excess and then go for a spin and see if the noise/issue goes away. Grab the crank and muscle it side to side to feel for play/looseness.

I'm on a 2010 EL Ciclon with an Xt crank and the external bearing BB. After a few months of hard riding, it is still in perfect shape, have had no issues.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Race Face BB's are known to have crap bearings in them. I would replace the bearings with some Phil Wood or Enduro.

Ninja Master Powers
    I'd replace the bottom bracket with a Chris King. Buy the grease tool at the same time.
    For about 140.00 you've got a lifetime bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This BB lasted about five years so I went the easy route and got another RF BB for $30. Thanks for everyone's input.

But, I wonder if a handful of water crossings simply broke the camel's back? Are most BB's that vulnerable to water? Maybe mine was already on its way out and the water crossings were the breaking point...

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by El Fuego View Post
    This BB lasted about five years so I went the easy route and got another RF BB for $30. Thanks for everyone's input.

But, I wonder if a handful of water crossings simply broke the camel's back? Are most BB's that vulnerable to water? Maybe mine was already on its way out and the water crossings were the breaking point...
    After 5 years of even decent amount of use? Most likely on it's way out and that was the last bit. I had an older LX first gen Outboard Bearing seize up on me just before a ride. Managed to break it free at the truck thanks to creative engineering, when I got home, took it apart, sprayed it down with WD-40, cleaned it out with Simple Green. Repacked it with Park's "Paul's wanne be green grease" and a year and half later, still spins fine!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."