mtbr member
    Dec 2005

BO issue w/ Bruja

Hi there!

I own a 2007 La Bruja that cannot get the full shock travel because the tire touches against vertical tube before bottoming out.

Is it a regular issue in this frame? Iíve switched to a 500lbs spring from a 450lbs in my CCDB and the only improvement is that I get a more reasonable sag (25-30%) that w/ the softer spring. I tuned the hi speed compression closed all the way in but the tire still touches the frame when dropping.

Does anyone know any solution for that? Shock size is 7.875 x 2.25

Thanks for your help

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Call Sherwood..........

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

If you do have an '07 Bruja...

you should be using an 8.5" x 2.5" shock (6" fully compressed), not a 7.875" x 2.25" (5.625" fully compressed). The rubbing tire might be a minor annoyance compared to the seatstay bridge or shock reservoir slamming into the frame tubing on bottom-out!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    I'll second that.. If it's a '07 Bruja, then that's the wrong shock. Otherwise haven't heard any issue of a properly equiped shock having that issue. Post a pic anyways.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant
    you should be using an 8.5" x 2.5" shock (6" fully compressed), not a 7.875" x 2.25" (5.625" fully compressed). The rubbing tire might be a minor annoyance compared to the seatstay bridge or shock reservoir slamming into the frame tubing on bottom-out!
    Ok, I understand that, maybe I'm using the wrong shock.

Anyway, if I'm using a shorter shock and the tire already touches the frame, won't it be even worse when using a longer stroke shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No, the correct shock is still .375" longer when fully compressed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant
    No, the correct shock is still .375" longer when fully compressed.
    Ok, I get it now. It has longer stroke but it is longer too, sorry for the question

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by toponoto
    Ok, I get it now. It has longer stroke but it is longer too, sorry for the question
    Dude, ask away, it's what the board is for!

Also if you were running a 2.25 shock you shorted yourself 20mm but also slacken out the geo quite a bit. So when you get the right shock for it, expect a change in the geo, it will be steeper, but the rear tire will not hit the Seattube anymore.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Dude, ask away, it's what the board is for!

Also if you were running a 2.25 shock you shorted yourself 20mm but also slacken out the geo quite a bit. So when you get the right shock for it, expect a change in the geo, it will be steeper, but the rear tire will not hit the Seattube anymore.
    Yep, I expect some steeper geo but nothing that Saint Totem can't deal with Anyway, climbing abilities will improve big time; now climbing on a rockie trail is a pain in the ass since pedals are constantly hitting the rocks and front end is always wheeling.

Thank you guys for the help!

Members who have read this thread: 0