mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bizarre "Good thing it was a Ventana" story...

On Saturday, 5 of us from my local MB club did a "Taco Ride" from taco truck to taco truck in Los Angeles. After the 30 mile loop, my GF and I got in her Jeep and I fastened the bikes to the rack on her Jeep. Just after we jumped on the freeway, a lady pulled up next to us and yelled, "Your Bike!!!" I looked in the rear view mirror to see my El Rey no longer on the rack. I swore and pulled over.

Long story short, repeated loops of the 1 mile we had traveled since taking off yielded no results. I was expecting to find it flattened like a pancake, but someone had taken off with it. On Monday morning, I called Theresa and Sherwood to both let them know my bike was gone and that I'd be needing to order a new frame.

A couple hours later, Theresa called with what I expected to be my quote, but instead she asked me if I read Mountain Bike Action. I said, "yeah. We're on the third issue of our new subscription." She said, "They found your bike." I was floored. "What?"

Apparently two eagle scout cousins who mountain bike and subscribe to Mountain Bike Action were driving 1/8 mile behind us or so, because they retrieved it. They called Mountain Bike Action who in turn called Theresa at Ventana. Theresa called me to let me know it had been found and who to contact only minutes after insurance had told me that it wouldn't be covered.

WHEW!!!

Big thanks for Ventana customer service, Mountain Bike Action, and especially the Eagle Scouts who found my bike. I'm meeting them tomorrow to pick up my bike and give them a big thanks and a reward.

--Roman

Cliff's notes: El Rey fell off rack on freeway, saved by Eagle scouts who call Mountain Bike Action who call Ventana who call me minutes after insurance says not covered.

Having a nice day!
    I love a happy ending. Hopefully your bike is not too worse for the experience.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow, and I thought it was cool when someone returned my cell phone to me after it fell out while snowboarding!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Proud lame eBiker
    Awesome!
    I had that happen about 15 yrs ago on New Years Day. Not Ventana's. Two bikes though. Travelled about 10miles of freeway before we noticed they were gone. Went back and looped it a few times but they were gone.
    6 months later some guy comes in the shop talking about some air force buddies who found a couple bikes on the freeway. I said no way, described the bikes to him and his jaw hit the floor. He was like, "oh these guys are solid christian folks. You'll get them back asap."
    Well, four months later dealing with their supperiors, we got nothing but excuses and bs all around. Bike never returned. One guy got out of the air force and was gone from the radar. The other got transferred to Del City Oklahoma.

uhhh, yeah, can you telI I'm still bitter?!

Glad to hear you are getting your baby back! It'll be interesting to see some before/after shots. ;-\
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Great story!!!

So, what condition is the bike in?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    WoW, when I first read that taco truck 2 taco truck in Los Angles......I thought of that recent shooting at that taco truck in LA. Glad, the bike fell in good hands. Ole' Post some after ride pictures

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Pic from the middle of the ride: That's me with the red sombrero and the Fox jersey on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Got the bike back in shape today and went for a ride. Noticed something a tiny bit loose in the front end, might be the the fork, or just the headset, will check tomorrow.

So far I've replaced:

Wheels
    Rotors (and pads, they were done anyways)
    Seat
    Grips
    Rear Derailleur and Hanger (Took one for the team as designed)
    Front Derailleur
    Shifters
    and Tires/tubes

Both wheels appeared to have been run over, the grips, seat, pedals and rear derailleur were all ground down pretty good, though the pedals (Crank Brothers Acid) still function perfectly, they just have much more character now. The fork (Fox F120) took a hit including a small dent in the bottom 1" of the air side and the very tips of the QR "U" on one side were sheared off by something (probably the hub as the paint on the fork was stripped indicating that something had attempted to remove the wheel without undoing the QR), but it articulates through the full range without any binding. There appears to be a mm or two of play when the shock is at full extension before any shock absorption takes place.

Other than the above, the frame was straight, as was the seatpost, handlebars, and crank.

Cost me some money, but it could have been a lot worse. We have a new rack now.

--Roman

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The guy with the blue sombrero looks like he is molesting you and the donkey at the same time. Must have been one hell of a ride..
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Members who have read this thread: 0