mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Behold, I bring you the B-clón!

Or Zeuclón, or Cicleus. I've been riding my Ciclón for a little over two years now, and it's seen a few build changes. Lately I've been very, very stoked on the setup shown here. 650b front/26" rear seems like an ideal combination, as you get the roll-over and cornering traction of the larger wheel up front, and the strength, stiffness, short-chainstays, and accellerability of the little wheel in the back.

The two wheel sizes are close enough in size to play very well together, so you don't feel like you're on a mismatched setup, as many people felt about the 69'er.

Oh, and no seat tube contact on bottom-out with the magnormous 2.4 trailking.

Build notes for those thinking of trying a similar setup:
    Magura Thor 150mm (530mm a-c) fork
    WTB i23/Nevegal 2.35 front wheel

Behold, I bring you the B-clón!-img_2380.jpgBehold, I bring you the B-clón!-img_2378.jpg
    Last edited by albeant; 09-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Fantastic build! And well ridden too! The way it should be.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    B-clón (or Zeuclón, or Cicleus). I've been riding my Ciclón for a little over two years now, and it's seen a few build changes. Lately I've been very, very stoked on the setup shown here. 650b front/26" rear seems like an ideal combination, as you get the roll-over and cornering traction of the larger wheel up front, and the strength, stiffness, short-chainstays, and accellerability of the little wheel in the back.

The two wheel sizes are close enough in size to play very well together, so you don't feel like you're on a mismatched setup, as many people felt about the 69'er.

Oh, and no seat tube contact on bottom-out with the magnormous 2.4 trailking.

Build notes for those thinking of trying a similar setup:
    Magura Thor 150mm (530mm a-c) fork
    WTB i23/Nevegal 2.35 front wheel
    Great build on the B-clón

I was thinking of doing that with my Mojo HD in the future. What differences do you notice between the handling of the 26" Ciclon? Is the fork a retrofitted 26" fork or a fork for 27.5? I'm sure the geo was not changed much, but the handling interests me since 29ers just feel too unwieldy to me.

Another question: you had seat tube contact on bottom out with a big tire on the rear of your Ciclon? Need to double check my husband's tire to make sure it's not going to hit (the 2.2 Wolverine has pretty high volume to it).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Fach and Stripes! Prior to this build I'd been running a Fox 36, so between the now shorter fork and taller front wheel the bb height is just about the same. (The Thor isn't 650b-specific; it just has adequate clearance for the larger wheel.)

Handling is excellent--and then some. The Thor has more offset than the 36 I'd been using (42mm vs 37mm, respectively), which would help prevent the front end from getting unwieldy with the larger wheel. If anything, steering is a little lighter with this setup vs my previous one. (The fact that I ditched a Fox 36 in favor of my current setup speaks for itself. I'd say that if you're cool with a slacker head tube angle and a higher bb, going 650b up front is a no brainer. Or, if you've got an overforked bike (all those 5-spots with Lyrics, for example) you might be surprised by what dialing back the fork and dialing up the wheel will do for you).

BTW, I arrived at this build by pulling the fork and front wheel off of my 650b Kona Explosif (which may now have a 29 front wheel in its future). I've been very happy with the 650b wheel's attributes on that bike, particularly up front. The front wheel benefits more than the rear from the improved rollover and cornering traction, with very few (and for me insignificant) drawbacks. As a rear wheel, however, the advantages are less pronounced, and the drawbacks moreso. A smaller rear wheel/larger front wheel setup just makes so much sense, and 650b is ideal for pairing with either 26 or 29. In fact, I'll go ahead and predict that we'll see more and more 26/650b and 650b/29 setups as all three wheel sizes find their place on the trail. Interbike 2014? Syntace/Liteville seems to have already turned this corner.

Regarding seat tube contact, there isn't any, even at hard bottom out.