mtbr member

Bearing puller kit needed?

Was looking at Ventana's website, wanting to get a spare derailleur hanger. Saw the bearing puller kit, and was wondering how necessary it is (vs. using sockets to tap them out or some other method). The kit isn't cheap at $92, so wanted to get other's opinions on this or what alternatives exist to get the bearings out. I have a Salty with the quad bearing, if that option makes a difference on how difficult it is to pull the bearings.

Team Chilidog!
    Did you call Ventana and see what they said?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Team Fearless Descender
    Well, I will say, I guess I'm lucky, because I own one. It is a simple kit, but made to fit exactly your Ventana. Nicely made tools. Like most things, there is more then one way to "skin a cat", but it is nice to have the real deal.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

PMK
    mtbr member
    Brace, in jest I say change your photo in the avatar to the bearing removal and install kit.

I have one also, bought it a while back for working on the tandem. If you live nearby, come on by with a few beers.

I'm sure socket will work if done with some care. There are several ways to accomplish the task. Alignment will be critical to ensure the bearings enter the bores straight and true. Obviously, if they go in misaligned and trash the aluminum component or even destroy several bearing dust seals, you may reach or exceed the tools cost.

Best of luck with it.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Brace, in jest I say change your photo in the avatar to the bearing removal and install kit.

I have one also, bought it a while back for working on the tandem. If you live nearby, come on by with a few beers.

I'm sure socket will work if done with some care. There are several ways to accomplish the task. Alignment will be critical to ensure the bearings enter the bores straight and true. Obviously, if they go in misaligned and trash the aluminum component or even destroy several bearing dust seals, you may reach or exceed the tools cost.

Best of luck with it.

PK
    LOL, I guess a new pic would be more relevant right now. Especially since I'm an old married dude and the bearing puller kit is actually feasible

Thanks for the offer to let me use your kit, but I'm in South Florida so I highly doubt you live down this way.

I guess I'll put the kit and derailleur hanger on my gift list for next holiday (Xmas list is complete).

Thanks to all for the input.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace1 View Post
    LOL, I guess a new pic would be more relevant right now. Especially since I'm an old married dude and the bearing puller kit is actually feasible

Thanks for the offer to let me use your kit, but I'm in South Florida so I highly doubt you live down this way.

I guess I'll put the kit and derailleur hanger on my gift list for next holiday (Xmas list is complete).

Thanks to all for the input.
    Hey Brace, here's the thing...you should never doubt...run this zip code 33411, is that close enough for you to bring beer?

Say hi to Nick D, Paul J and the others. We really do need to join Airborne so we can legally ride FtP again on the tandem.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Hey Brace, here's the thing...you should never doubt...run this zip code 33411, is that close enough for you to bring beer?

Say hi to Nick D, Paul J and the others. We really do need to join Airborne so we can legally ride FtP again on the tandem.

PK
    Wow , I should've remembered the saying about "assume" from when I was a kid. My buddy told me he saw someone riding a tandem on the Ft Pierce trails one day, and I told him it was you on a Ventana since I had read your post that weekend.

What a small world.

You're definitely close enough, especially since I work down in North Palm Bch. Thanks for the offer, I'm not needing the tools just yet (like I said, I stumbled across the puller kit while I was looking for a spare derailleur hanger) but will make note of your userid and take you up on the offer when the time is right. Thanks again.

PS: just rode Ft Pierce yesterday (and ran into Nick: a riding buddy and the Airborne guys built a new section of trail there on Sat), conditions were ideal.