Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back in Bidness

Powered by ice cream.

Back in Bidness

What does one do when one sees a poor abandoned front triangle like this all alone on Ebay?

And one just happens to have this lying around not in use:

And, one has decided that the front triangle of the above frame is too big, and it will probably not get ridden, and it is not worth enough (being a used custom frame from a niche brand) to sell.

What if I told you that the green frame, while a tad tight in the top tube, has enough seat tube to get the right saddle height with a 410mm post, and still have 4 inches of post in the frame?

Oh yeah....no one is bidding on it either...since it needs a shock, rockers, and entire rear triangle.

Doesn't suck that it is a cool custom lowrider green (Bikezilla green as well!)

Also doesn't suck that one is aware that there are nearly enough parts sitting in boxes or on other donor bikes to nearly build the thing complete.

Especially doesn't suck when one realizes there is enough dough in the Paypal (Playpal?) account from previous sell offs to cover the purchase without dipping in to the household finances.

It's a no brainer, this is about as close to a free bike as one gets.

The Curtlo is dead. Long live the Capitan!

Ideally, I should be on a 19" frame, but when I did the math, I found the top tube is 1.5 inches shorter than the Curtlo, one inch shorter than the Lunchbox, and 0.8 inches shorter than the Comandante. I currently run a 50mm stem on the Box, 70mm on the Comandante. The cockpit should not feel cramped at all for me with a 90mm stem on it.

It's worth a try. My only concern fit wise is possible toe overlap.

The fork will be a White Bros TA 100mm Fluid fork from the Comandante (now flying rigid), Which will also donate wheels (King/Arch) since I run SS on a geared hub with spacers. Another set of QR wheels goes on the Comandante (note to self only build with convertable front hubs in the future). The initial plan was to run it at 4" travel, but the Pushed Float I had in the box is set up for 5" travel, so I will live with it there for now. As far as I can tell, I only need a headset and a Sram rear derailleur and I am in bidness.

I will be interested to see how the ride compares to the Curtlo. I honestly don't think it can touch the Lunchbox for most situations, but I see it as having a different, more XCish purpose (like I ride enough to really need more than one bike). It's pretty clear that Sherwood overbuilt this bike, so it should more than handle what I will give it. Pity I don't have second F135 fork around to give it a back to back test with the Lenz.

Anyway, nice to have another Ventana FS bike in the garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Nice! I always hated that Curtlo! Even uglier than the Lenz

No, that's not phonetic
    Cool score. I love doing that stuff. There are occasional diamonds in the rough to discover out there.

I am curious though, how can the Curtlo be too big if it's custom for gOD's sake?? (I hope I got the capitalization right for Fo).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Awesome catch!

congrats!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Great score. WTF is a lunchbox? Did I miss something......or is this a sick and twisted name for ????????

Thanks crisillo..........I'm not really hip on all the 29er brands out there.
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 12-11-2007 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Great score. WTF is a lunchbox? Did I miss something......or is this a sick and twisted name for ????????
    Lenz LunchBox

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Nice! I always hated that Curtlo! Even uglier than the Lenz
    True Dat!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That is awesome. I looooove that Low Rider Green.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Cool score. I love doing that stuff. There are occasional diamonds in the rough to discover out there.
    I felt very Tscheezyish moving rear triangles around and all. Truly, the power was intoxicating.

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I am curious though, how can the Curtlo be too big if it's custom for gOD's sake?? (I hope I got the capitalization right for Fo).
    Long story. The builder built based on my feedback. Which was based on 29" hardtails, a demo week on a Capitan, lots of FS time on little wheels, and feedback from folks with lots more time than me on FS 29"ers. Essentially he built me a bike with geometry very similar to a large Sultan, but with the steering feel (trail) of a 6-Pack. For my size (6'1"), it should have been perfect. Long ETT, short stem which seems to be all the rage, and which most folks here love.

The bike was confidence inspiring, capable in all conditions and unflappable at speed, but I realized I really like to throw a bike around, and that is a great part of the appeal of riding to me. Given the wheelbase, and long stays, it just was not amenable to my style of riding. It got me where I wanted to go, but was more of a tool than an object of fun.

Not the builder's fault. I got what I asked for. I just didn't know what I wanted at the time I guess. Big wheels also handle differently. You don't need all that TT to get stability. The Curtlo was biased too much towards stability.

In the mean time, I also scored a "size too small" Comandante off the Bay and found I really, really liked the tiny cockpit and over the course of a year kept shrinking it until I literally barely avoid knee slaps on the bars while climbing, and I love it.

My riding has evolved, and the Curtlo was a snapshot of what I thought I liked at the time. I learned a lot through the process, and essentially have an El Cap plus that triangle now, for what it would have cost just to get the El Cap in the first place. Free edumacation so to speak.

I may dislike this El Cap as well. If I do, I think I can point squarely at the long stays as the culprit.

It will have a challenge to displace my love for this homely baby, however.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sweet! Always nice to put together a frankenbike, but only a GOOD one! lol
    Great looking, too. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Thanks crisillo..........I'm not really hip on all the 29er brands out there.

jrm
    mtbr member

So is the El Cap a 17" or 21"

[

what a great find..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys