Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone Use Ti Bolts On Suspension Pivots?

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  mtnbiker4life 
#1 ·
More to the point - anyone tried this and had a failure? That's what I'm really looking for...

#4 ·
P Fradale said:
I have not used them on the suspension pivots but I have used them on the brake rotors on my motorcycle. Despite having the proper anti-seize there was (suspected) electron transfer and the bolts failed, luckily at rest and not on the road.
Even though Titanium is less noble, whenever coupled with Aluminum or Magnesium which have a higher susceptibility to galvanic corrosion if not properly treated will cause some corrosion. Ventana pivots are stainless steel so using a Titanium bolt could cause a corrosion situation. Titanium is ghey :D

#5 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
Even though Titanium is less noble, whenever coupled with Aluminum or Magnesium which have a higher susceptibility to galvanic corrosion if not properly treated will cause some corrosion. Ventana pivots are stainless steel so using a Titanium bolt could cause a corrosion situation. Titanium is ghey :D
other than "Titanium is ghey", didn't understand but boy u r sexy when u use big words

hey, wait a minute, I have a ti bike (with Ti stem and bars), though I sure wouldn't use Ti bolts on any part on any bike cuz that is a ghey use of a ghey material indeed

#10 ·
FoShizzle said:
doh! please tell me now that you have a ride under your belt today you are no longer considering this nonsense......dont MAKE me have tscheezy come over here and tell you even more shortcomings of your idea!
Thus far the short cumings appear to be it turns you guys ghey and the *possibility* of galvanic corrosion - which considering it's Ti and on a bike is a GIVEN.

My thoughts are with the exception of the shock mount bolts, all shear loads are applied to frame fittings (that Sherwood so thoroughly designed) and that the pivot bolts are only under tension. Meaning worst case scenario, given Ti flexes a bit more than steel (per same design, volume, whatever) my pivots *might* come lose more often. That is IF I don't proprly treat all interfaces (read: Locktite - just like my Phil Wood Ti BB).

And considering how this little item so quickly enflames the doctrinaires, and condsidering my iconoclastic tendancies - It's DONE. I'm doing it.

:thumbsup: :D

#11 ·
I use Ti bolts on both shock mounts and the main pivot. Actually every bolt on the bike has been switched out for Ti, and after almost two years of D'ville's, super D's and epics, I've had no problems. BTW, I weigh 180lbs and have coil suspension front and rear. I replaced every threaded bolt on the wife's well worn 05 Motolight also, and have no problems either. Come to think of it, none of my bikes have a steel bolt. The Ventana is at the office so here's the hardtail to give you an idea of my sickness.

Attachments

#12 ·
imridingmybike said:
Thus far the short cumings appear to be it turns you guys ghey and the *possibility* of galvanic corrosion - which considering it's Ti and on a bike is a GIVEN.

My thoughts are with the exception of the shock mount bolts, all shear loads are applied to frame fittings (that Sherwood so thoroughly designed) and that the pivot bolts are only under tension. Meaning worst case scenario, given Ti flexes a bit more than steel (per same design, volume, whatever) my pivots *might* come lose more often. That is IF I don't proprly treat all interfaces (read: Locktite - just like my Phil Wood Ti BB).

And considering how this little item so quickly enflames the doctrinaires, and condsidering my iconoclastic tendancies - It's DONE. I'm doing it.

:thumbsup: :D
That's great I expect a full report and post the pictures...........Ti can be an expensive drug.:D Ti definitely has its place......we use it a lot in aerospace. Use it wisely grasshopper :D

#13 ·
will somebody please tell me what the point of TiGheynium bolts are? Not trying to be a jerk, as hard as it is, but I struggle to understand the motivation.

Is it really for weight savings? I guess if ALL bolts were replaced with TiGheynium versions and bike was XC-ish it would be "safe" so just looking for rationale

#14 ·
FoShizzle said:
will somebody please tell me what the point of TiGheynium bolts are? Not trying to be a jerk, as hard as it is, but I struggle to understand the motivation.

Is it really for weight savings? I guess if ALL bolts were replaced with TiGheynium versions and bike was XC-ish it would be "safe" so just looking for rationale
Weight savings only

I'd guestimate that replacing all the pivots and shock mount hardware with Ti would save 1/2-2/3 of a pound.

#16 ·
FoShizzle said:

Yes, Titanium weighs roughly 40% less than Steel. I would think for high stress areas, steel is a much better application. I know I snapped my Snycros Ti post off a little kicker, and Ti bolts at shock mounts would be pretty damn lame!

#17 ·
snowdrifter said:
Yes, Titanium weighs roughly 40% less than Steel. I would think for high stress areas, steel is a much better application. I know I snapped my Snycros Ti post off a little kicker, and Ti bolts at shock mounts would be pretty damn lame!
I tiodized pink Ti shock mount bolts and brake rotor bolts for some pro dh women who saw the pink bolts on the wife's Motolight at the 05 National Championships at Mammoth. As for the Syncros post, did you actually snap the post, or did the bonded head separate?

Here's some more Ti for you non believer's:thumbsup: These are hip, knee, and shoulder implants used in high stress areas. They do break, but so do CoCr and stainlees steel implants

Attachments

#18 ·
Vader said:
I tiodized pink Ti shock mount bolts and brake rotor bolts for some pro dh women who saw the pink bolts on the wife's Motolight at the 05 National Championships at Mammoth. As for the Syncros post, did you actually snap the post, or did the bonded head separate?

Here's some more Ti for you non believer's:thumbsup: These are hip, knee, and shoulder implants used in high stress areas. They do break, but so do CoCr and stainlees steel implants
The shaft broke, actually it kind of folded in half :eekster: I had to climb out of the Demo Forest with no post:madman:

I'm not a complete non believer, I tune pinch bolts and crapp like that with Ti, and Aluminum bolts. I just stopped there, IMO it's not worth the money per weight savings, not too mention the headache finding the right sizes, and the risk of snapping one on the trail, no thanks.

#20 ·
snowdrifter said:
The shaft broke, actually it kind of folded in half :eekster: I had to climb out of the Demo Forest with no post:madman:

I'm not a complete non believer, I tune pinch bolts and crapp like that with Ti, and Aluminum bolts. I just stopped there, IMO it's not worth the money per weight savings, not too mention the headache finding the right sizes, and the risk of snapping one on the trail, no thanks.
Is this your post?:p

http://cgi.ebay.com/Syncros-Titaniu...ryZ58101QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is exspensive to outfit a whole bike, but being in the Ti biz, it doesn't cost me too much. I do have to source specific bolts like the rear der pivot, ect. My biggest problem is that the heads of the Ti bolts are sometimes too big to fit recessed applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.