mtbr member

Anyone race their Salty?

Just wondering how many folks are racing these frames. I'm down to a Racer X frame or an El Saltamontes to replace my Epic. Thanks for the input.

PNW
    mtbr member

El Fuego

As far as I know they will still build a El Fuego to order, I race one, they are awesome, fact

Proud lame eBiker
    Shift Worker- How are you built? height and weight? Biggest diff. between the Fuego vs. El Salt.

<175lbs I'd say the Fuego is the way to go.
    >176lbs then go for the El Salt.

Either one can be 3" or 4".

Are you looking for a two hour Norba racer, or 6/12/24hr racer?

And to answer your question, yes, lotsof us race our El Saltamontes frames. Can't wait for the summer race series to start up again!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift Worker
    Just wondering how many folks are racing these frames. I'm down to a Racer X frame or an El Saltamontes to replace my Epic. Thanks for the input.
    I did 2 xc races on my salty last year. It did great.

If you're big - or simly hard on frames - the salty might be a good fit for you.

After breaking 23 bikes in the last 10 years, I've grudgingly realized being a weight weenie ain't all it's cracked up to be!

My salty comes in at 26.5 - 27 #'s in it's light weight set up.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9", 155lbs, 29, male, hazel eyes, brown hair, unshaven legs, occasionally clipped toenails, etc.

I've been thinking about the El Fuego. It might be a good tweener instead of the Salt or Racer X. Someone mentioned it might be more "flexy" than the salt.

Any comment?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I race my El Ciclon..........I handles great. But at 28 lbs (XL frame size) it's not a light weight XC race machine.....but it rails

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift Worker
    I'm 5'9", 155lbs, 29, male, hazel eyes, brown hair, unshaven legs, occasionally clipped toenails, etc.

I've been thinking about the El Fuego. It might be a good tweener instead of the Salt or Racer X. Someone mentioned it might be more "flexy" than the salt.

Any comment?

Yeah given your size I'd set you up on a Fuego no question.
    If you want, drop in the double bearing option for the lower pivot.

Fuego is a great race bike for your size. You won't be disappointed by it in the least.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Fly weight!

Myke and I raced our Bruja's Two years ago out at Prairie. 34# for mine and 36+ for Myke! Just saying......
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Fly weight!

Myke and I raced our Bruja's Two years ago out at Prairie. 34# for mine and 36+ for Myke! Just saying......

yeah I always point out to people I'm acutaully on a much lighter bike than them...you just have to use my simple math to figure out how. Take bike weight, divide by body weight. My percentage of bike weight vs. bike weight is waaaaay less than anyone elses! hehehe...statistics...you gotta love how you can twist anything around to become a positive for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I race an El Salt too. I actually demoed a Racer X as well as an El Salt. I chose the El Salt because I felt it cornered better. It may have just been the way the two bikes were set up though. I've gotten my El Salt down to just over 25 pounds. It is probably still a little heavy to be a race bike, but I love it. Here it is with my newly installed I9 wheelset.

Last edited by traildead; 02-24-2008 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    The RacerX is a better "Race bike" no question.
    SA 73' is far more suited to racing than Salty's.
    HL pedals more effeciently and its lower BB will give you better handling plus the frame is lighter (half pound). Also its very stiff ander under rated in this area on the Ventana forum.
    Yes there are other stiff bikes out there!

If you want a "one bike does it all" however the Salty is a far better trail bike with higher BB and is more robust and flexible as an all rounder, plus far greater to look at if you like talking bikes at the trail head!

So if racing is important go Racer X but if 90% of your riding is with buddies on the trail go Salty!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have raced on a salty in the past. I have been riding a fuego for the last 2 years. I am about to go back to a salty. I generally do longer enduro type races. For shorter, around 2 hours races, the fuego rocks. It is as sharp as and really carves. I found for me that this handling got a bit too much for me on longer races. A fitter rider might be able to handle it for longer.
    The salty with a bit more travel and a bit more relaxed riding position is ideal for longer events.
    I never had any issues with flex on the fuego and I only had double bearings in the lower pivot. Ventana do not recommend using a 100mm fork on the fuego.
    With my salty, currently in prebuild phase, i have gone for double bearings all around.
    Both frames are respectibly light. I had no issues with the weight of either.

mtbr member
    Well, I just happened to find a sick deal on an El Fuego... and bought it. 2007 model ('cause they aren't making any more). So, from hence forth, no negative posts about the El Fuego... otherwise my heart will burst with buyer's remorse. It gets here on Thursday. Holy crap am I excited. I'll let you know how it rides compared to my Epic. Thanks for the help.

PNW
    mtbr member

El Fuego

Quote Originally Posted by John U
    A fitter rider might be able to handle it for longer.
    Yes I can John, thanks
    Shiftworker