Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone here running a DBair?

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  lucianofreeride 
G
#1 ·
I'm going to switch out my CCDB for a DBair with a high volume air canister on my 2012 Ciclon. Anyone here using a DBair or gone from a CCDB to a DBair? Sherwood mentioned the settings should be pretty much the same except back off the compression settings quite a bit because of the air canister.

I love the CCDB, but there is some good feedback on those riding with the DBair and how nice they feel.

#4 ·
...can't wait to hear how you like the DBair. i have the DHX 5.0 air (on my la bruja) and the seal on the fox shox sucks they don't stop leaking oil. keep us infomed on the change over and what u think...ralph

#5 ·
Cool, looking forward to see if the seal holds the oil and what you have to say about the air version compared to your coil over version. thanks...ralph

#6 ·
Older?

You have the white older designed Bastard right? Not a fan for the RP23, it felt either two soft or spikey to me.
Hey, I resemble that remark Stripes! :skep: Yeah, it's the latest version '09 but with the new Kashima RP23 shock. Not a Zeus if that's what you were thinking. Been hearing the Kashima's are better suited for bigger riders. If I switch the travel to 5.5", Ventana will be giving me the pre Kashima 23 which may work out better if tuned correctly for my # and ride.

#8 ·
So after spending some time setting the shock, taking out the spacers out of the CCDB, and setting up the new shock, the damn thing does not fit. I'm really unimpressed with an air canister so freaking large that it doesn't clear the rear derailler and I had to put the bike in 140mm travel mode to get it to mount. Seriously--what brain surgeon designed this?

I set the sag on it to 30% (115psi), but the front derailleur barely clears on the top and clears by maybe a millimeter in the bottom part.

I'm really not sure what to do, I mean, other than turn around and sell the damn thing and replace it with an RP23.

Rumor has it you can buy offset spacers, or even possibly another front derailleur would work. I don't need it in 140mm.. I want it back where it was because I spent all this time getting the geo right running 150mm in the back and 160mm in the front.

What would you engineers say?
Send it back. I wouldn't run offset reducers because I doubt they will hold on the lower mount. Ask Sherwood if he can make you an adapter. Or run the SRAM 1x11 and ditch the front derailleur. I'm digging that 1x11 system.....thinking about it for the El Whatever once it arrives.

#10 ·
yeah i secound that, you should ask sherwood i'm sure he can make it work. i wouldn't get rid of it, you should get sherwood to help out, give him a call, i would love to see that shock workout on your bike (at 150 mm) don't give up yet...ralph

#11 ·
Is it the front derailleur mount that is rubbing against the air canister?

As mentioned above you have a few options.

You might be able to just dremel/file the mount down to create some space. How much room do you need?

Another option is a SRAM XX f.d. It looks like it has a really thin mounting collar. Stupid price for a f.d., but it might work.

#14 ·
Anne,
You need to get even more fundamental than just what steel banded front Der. will work.(BTW - Mykes suggestion is by far the best) Because that High Volume Canister looks too big to use at the 150mm setting no matter what.

What you need to ask is, why are you using the High Volume Canister? One of the "benefits" of the Coil CCDB if I recall is that you use a much lower coil spring rate compared to Fox shocks. So, wouldn't it stand to reason that since it's the same damper as on the coil, the spring rate can be lower on the DBair? I'd try the standard can on the DBair first before anything else.

-A

#15 ·
that's to bad you couldn't get the shock to work, btw the front derailleur i offered you would be free if it would work...ralph

#16 ·
i don't know if you know but this derailleur doesn't have a clamp to the seat tube, it mounts to the bottom bracket, you put it on before the cup so there is no clamp on the seat tube and if it works i would think you can keep the travel at 150 mm ...ralph

#17 ·
That IS the standard/low volume version. They don't make a smaller canister.. they make an even bigger one (wtf). I'm not sure why they need an air can the size of a beer can, but it's their design.

Fortunately, Cane Creek was unbelievably cool about it. They said since the shock doesn't fit the small Ventana Ciclon, they'll add it to a list of small AND medium frames it doesn't. *sigh* Seems like a serious design flaw to me, but at least they're being cool about it.

So I'm going back to the CCDB. It fits, the settings work, and I can deal with the weight penalty since the shock isn't rotational weight.
I'm not sure about the e-Type if it would work, but I don't see how that aircan will clear the Seattube, if it's rubbing the band now, and when you place the upper shock mount to the 150 setting which brings it closer to the seattube, it will probably not line up or rub. Just sounds like the DBair is a no go. Unless you already did, just get an Ti spring for the CCDB!

#21 ·
Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated. :)
WOH! Hold on. I "confirmed" nothing, until a New frame and DB air are in my hands and I'm actually bolting them together, it's e-speculating.

I just made an observation based on your description and fuzzy photo's.

You need to do what Int14 is saying take the FD off and see if it clears and go from there.

#26 ·
Someone anonymously negative repped me for my experience here. Nice.

Never surprises me how much lack of courage people have to say something behind a keyboard.
Now they have changed the Rep is tagged with a user name......so who left you neg rep? Now all those neg reps will be brought to the light. I have a number of neg reps. I left one neg rep with a note because the guy slagged my tools on a thread but doesn't have the balls to design and put up the cash for a better mouse trap.

#27 ·
that's a pity! the DBair is great, was the most noticeable upgrade on my Yeti and then on a Mojo HD...
maybe the Ciclon should stay w/ the RP23 and the Zeus might be suited for the DBair w/ no fitting problems, Gibson also solved another issues such as a smaller headtube and sloper top tube. My friend's Ciclon got top tube rubbed by the break levers...
ISCG-05 is also an addition to the Zeus
if you are looking to get a more aggressive setup, Ventana hasn't a 26" model suited for that yet
I think the Ciclon is a beauty but better suited for trail/all-mtn conservative riders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.