Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    That IS the standard/low volume version. They don't make a smaller canister.. they make an even bigger one (wtf). I'm not sure why they need an air can the size of a beer can, but it's their design.

Fortunately, Cane Creek was unbelievably cool about it. They said since the shock doesn't fit the small Ventana Ciclon, they'll add it to a list of small AND medium frames it doesn't. *sigh* Seems like a serious design flaw to me, but at least they're being cool about it.

So I'm going back to the CCDB. It fits, the settings work, and I can deal with the weight penalty since the shock isn't rotational weight.
    I'm not sure about the e-Type if it would work, but I don't see how that aircan will clear the Seattube, if it's rubbing the band now, and when you place the upper shock mount to the 150 setting which brings it closer to the seattube, it will probably not line up or rub. Just sounds like the DBair is a no go. Unless you already did, just get an Ti spring for the CCDB!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    I'm not sure about the e-Type if it would work, but I don't see how that aircan will clear the Seattube, if it's rubbing the band now, and when you place the upper shock mount to the 150 setting which brings it closer to the seattube, it will probably not line up or rub. Just sounds like the DBair is a no go. Unless you already did, just get an Ti spring for the CCDB!
    Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Proud lame eBiker
    Take off Frt. Der.
    Install shock in 150 clip setting.

Does it clear seat tube?

If yes, run the X-0 frt. der. with the metal band clamp.

Hello? This thing on??
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker
    Forget about the e-mount nonsense while you're at it. No bueno with the PF BB.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Take off Frt. Der.
    Install shock in 150 clip setting.

Does it clear seat tube?

If yes, run the X-0 frt. der. with the metal band clamp.

Hello? This thing on??
    LOL! Comment of the thread!
    -Aaron G.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.
    WOH! Hold on. I "confirmed" nothing, until a New frame and DB air are in my hands and I'm actually bolting them together, it's e-speculating.

I just made an observation based on your description and fuzzy photo's.

You need to do what Int14 is saying take the FD off and see if it clears and go from there.
    -Aaron G.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    WOH! Hold on. I "confirmed" nothing, until a New frame and DB air are in my hands and I'm actually bolting them together, it's e-speculating.

I just made an observation based on your description and fuzzy photo's.

You need to do what Int14 is saying take the FD off and see if it clears and go from there.
    Clears in 140, still too close for comfort at 150, so not sure it would even clear with a narrow clamp.

Thanks everyone for your help, but I'm done with this experiment. Everyone here has definitely been helpful and provided some interesting solutions

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Since you guys are on the DB topic.. heres a link to my post about a new DB adjustment tool I've developed.

Fancy Thumb Tool for Cane Creek DBCoil and DBAir Dampers

mtbr member
    Will this be a problem with all frame sizes and models across the Ventana line-up? Or will this only be an issue with the smaller frame sizes?

I wonder if Ventana will do a direct mount front derailleur mount?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Will this be a problem with all frame sizes and models across the Ventana line-up? Or will this only be an issue with the smaller frame sizes?

I wonder if Ventana will do a direct mount front derailleur mount?
    I would call Sherwood if you have future plans to upgrade before spending any $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I would call Sherwood if you have future plans to upgrade before spending any $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    This. I've told Sherwood and Teresa, and for the record, I ride a small frame with a 10mm shorter reach. However, I don't think it would fit on a medium well either, but I didn't try to mount it on my husband's El Ciclon (stock 17" frame) to find out either. I'm not sure what Ventana plans on doing, but part of the reason I picked up the shock is Sherwood said someone bought one (for their Zeus I think, no idea what size) and loves it with the Ventana.

When I told Cane Creek about it, they said there are a number of frames that the DBair does not fit (in both small AND medium sizes) because of the size of the air can. But, they won't make it smaller because it doesn't make the shock work right.

Definitely learned my lesson on this one. Not something I would recommend anyone else experience.

Team Chilidog!
    Someone anonymously negative repped me for my experience here. Nice.

Never surprises me how much lack of courage people have to say something behind a keyboard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I'll ask them if I ever get serious. Just thought I'd ask here for the sake of conversation.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Someone anonymously negative repped me for my experience here. Nice.

Never surprises me how much lack of courage people have to say something behind a keyboard.
    Now they have changed the Rep is tagged with a user name......so who left you neg rep? Now all those neg reps will be brought to the light. I have a number of neg reps. I left one neg rep with a note because the guy slagged my tools on a thread but doesn't have the balls to design and put up the cash for a better mouse trap.

luc91
    that's a pity! the DBair is great, was the most noticeable upgrade on my Yeti and then on a Mojo HD...
    maybe the Ciclon should stay w/ the RP23 and the Zeus might be suited for the DBair w/ no fitting problems, Gibson also solved another issues such as a smaller headtube and sloper top tube. My friend's Ciclon got top tube rubbed by the break levers...
    ISCG-05 is also an addition to the Zeus
    if you are looking to get a more aggressive setup, Ventana hasn't a 26" model suited for that yet
    I think the Ciclon is a beauty but better suited for trail/all-mtn conservative riders

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucianofreeride View Post
    that's a pity! the DBair is great, was the most noticeable upgrade on my Yeti and then on a Mojo HD...
    maybe the Ciclon should stay w/ the RP23 and the Zeus might be suited for the DBair w/ no fitting problems, Gibson also solved another issues such as a smaller headtube and sloper top tube. My friend's Ciclon got top tube rubbed by the break levers...
    ISCG-05 is also an addition to the Zeus
    if you are looking to get a more aggressive setup, Ventana hasn't a 26" model suited for that yet
    I think the Ciclon is a beauty but better suited for trail/all-mtn conservative riders
    So my bike is running a CCDB again (not a fan of the RP23 or whatever Fox is calling it now) since the DBair didn't fit, and I run a 160 Van RC on it (so it's something like 34 lbs, not light either), so the Ciclon isn't necessarily a conservative bike per se--it's how you can build it up. My brake levers don't hit my top tube, so that's not really a concern of mine.

The problem is I'm running a small frame with 10mm shorter reach, so it was a crapshoot to see if the shock would fit (I didn't know the air can was as big as it was), but it didn't. I'm happy with the CCDB--but was looking to take off some of the weight off the bike. Cane Creek is wonderful to deal with--and that's why I'm back running a CCDB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2