mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Anybody had a El Terra built with a X TTube? & how accurate are BB dimns on website

Just looking at various options at the moment for trading in my old 04 6" X5 and having a new frame . Having only a 27.5" inside leg in stocking feet the x TTube is the only way to go.

The only complaint i have is the BB on my X6 is 14.3" when using my pike at 140mm. This feels a bit too high and I would be looking for a BB of about the 13.5" on 6" rockers and 140 fork.

Doing the sums the ET with a Pike and a CK 7mm spacer will give a HA of 68.5 for 90% of my riding, and a 67 deg HA when i put my 66sl on (at 170mm ie 555 A-C) for the Alps and uplift days.

Given that whilst reading a few threads on here, the ET seems to come up more like 14 plus" in the BB. The pike would bring it down to 13.5" ish and probably be ideal for general trail riding here in the UK.

Can anybody explain whilst on the website the BB height on the ET is quoted at 13.5" yet most people are quoting 14" plus on here?

The other option is of course a custom X5 built for 6" rockers and around a 140mm fork. giving HA of 68.5deg and a BB of 13.5. With a HA of around 66.75 deg when using my 66sl's. but not sure of the bb dimension expected to be around the 14" plus.

BTW I had thought of a El Bruja and altering the fork etc on that but i think thats a bit overkill for 90% of my riding, even though you guys seem to be able to build them at less than 34lbs with coil/coil set-ups.

sorry if this is similar to the 'splitting 6" hairs thread' of GG's but any advice or experience will be welcome. The option the stock ET is not an option given the Standover.

and before you mention it, yes i am typing an email to Sherwood for his advice as well.

thanks in advance

Dave

Bodhisattva
    My medium Terremoto with Lyrik at full 160mm extension and 2.4 Big Bettys has a BB height of 14.5".

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    My medium Terremoto with Lyrik at full 160mm extension and 2.4 Big Bettys has a BB height of 14.5".
    My large is the same with the same tires and fork.

Team Fearless Descender
    My "semi-custom" 20.4" (between L and XL), with FOX TALAS at 160mm and 2.4's up front is 14.25"
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The 14"+ BB height comes from the 13.8 stated inches, which is assuming a 13" wheel radius. Running high volume tires like many do (Big Betty, etc), pushes that number up about a half inch to 14.3.

Other than that, looks like you have done all your homework and the numbers appear to tie out. Either custom geo X-6 or X'd TT TM.

And fwiw, the Bruja cannot run 6" rockers. The drawback I see to going bruja is the ST angle will be jacked and the cockpit would be super tight for trail use.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    My large is the same with the same tires and fork.
    wow! what a shock.....you mean the same frame (with longer seat and top tube which would not affect bottom bracket height) with the same tires and fork results in the same BB? who woulda guessed...

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    wow! what a shock.....you mean the same frame (with longer seat and top tube which would not affect bottom bracket height) with the same tires and fork results in the same BB? who woulda guessed...
    I know...it's amazing isn't it?

I really just wanted to feel important by responding to a technical post...thanks for raining on my parade.

Bodhisattva
    I know...it's amazing isn't it?

I really just wanted to feel important by responding to a technical post...thanks for raining on my parade.

Don't feel bad RS. We all know Fo's a douchebag

Besides, our posts don't mean anything unless validated by Tscheezy.

Besides, our posts don't mean anything unless validated by Tscheezy.
    Or is Swilbilly says we are cool enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Cheers gents, ta for the info Characterzero, i was wondering what the asssumed rolling dia was in order to achieve the stated BB heights on Sherwoods website.

Looks like it decision time then. Time to go away and ponder i think.

Just got to finish writing the e mail to Sherwood and see what he recommends.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That is all I got for you. I don't have the angles/measurements from the X-5/6 anymore, apparently I threw them out....
    Here is what I remember, the X-6 w/ Lyrik and 2.5/2.35r was 15"bb, 67.5ish HA. The typical 10mm change in A2C yeilded .5* change in HA and about .125 change in BB.
    Of course, you have an X, so you can figure the rest!

Good luck with the decision!

Homey don't play that!
    We all know Fo's a douchebag
    And a Turner reject.
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    And a Turner reject.
    thanks....that is actually a compliment as far as i am concerned!

Homey don't play that!
    thanks....that is actually a compliment as far as i am concerned!
    Still thinking of coming up this way in the near future?
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Still thinking of coming up this way in the near future?
    yes, with El Salt (his wife more likely) leading planning efforts. however, its quite stressful as I am not sure which ventana to bring

yes, with El Salt (his wife more likely) leading planning efforts. however, its quite stressful as I am not sure which ventana to bring
    The new one.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    The new one.
    agreed