mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Any problems with XTR mech and El Ciclon ?

Has anyone tried/fitted an XTR front mech onto there El Ciclon ?

Its the new model FD-M970 - on the mech it stays the chainstay angle 66-69 degrees.

I've been trying for ages to set it up right with no success - took it too my local bike shop and they just about managed to get it too work but said that it isn't really compatible with the frame....

Anyone else had problems ?

cheers

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have had no problems with 08 ones. Is it rubbing ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks Al

Just very difficult to set up - Can only use gears 1-4 on granny ring as the chain runs on the cage - I know its good practice to only use these anyway..

Shifting is just not as good as my old XT mech..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If the old one wasn't broken why change it then? It should work exactly the same as they operate in the same way. It is probably down purely to the way it's been set up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been running old xtr and deus xc cranks on a salty, all the problems Ive had have come from the cranks coming loose, they seem to be worse for this when they are new. I now use a torque wrench and just do them up to 50ft-lbs as I can never feel the point when the bolt bottoms out, its surprising how much force it takes to snug them down.
    Of course if your xt mech worked OK with your current cranks you might just want to disregard this post, anyway hope you get it sorted

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hey Justa, I'm using the FD 970 on my Ciclon and really rate it for sharp snappy changes. The only down side is its a bit of a mud shelf in comparison to a conventional mech. Dunno if the fact that I'm using an XT chainset makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    cheers grinch - it could be the deus chainset - tbh I really don't like it - back to shimano we go...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    just as an update....

Sold my Race Face cranks for 125 - bought some XT cranks for 90

problem solved.....

and the shifting is smiles better

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by g-essex-r
    I have been running old xtr and deus xc cranks on a salty, all the problems Ive had have come from the cranks coming loose, they seem to be worse for this when they are new. I now use a torque wrench and just do them up to 50ft-lbs as I can never feel the point when the bolt bottoms out, its surprising how much force it takes to snug them down.
    Of course if your xt mech worked OK with your current cranks you might just want to disregard this post, anyway hope you get it sorted

Yeah , it does take abit of torque to install them ( RF cranks ) and you will feel the bottom out when done correctly ! No shifting problems with my RF Atlas cranks so far anyway ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    just goes to show that 'bling' isn't always best. I know that Shimano have a bad press from some but I've always found that, particularly drivetrain parts, just work. What a result, better shifting and a 35 profit!!! I've gone back to XT shifters and they are really good and a fair bit cheaper than the equivalent sram stuff, just dont look as nice (they all look the same when they are covered in mud!).

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Some of you guys seem to swop bits more often than some change their underwear. I am so boring, had the same cranks and front mech and shifters for years. My seat post is over 3yrs old and so is my rear shock. By the way before there are any comments my underwear is always washed yearly whether it needs it or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Alan, you should see my collection of rubber, i.e. tyres!

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch
    Alan, you should see my collection of rubber, i.e. tyres!
    Frowns knowingly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajr
    Some of you guys seem to swop bits more often than some change their underwear. I am so boring, had the same cranks and front mech and shifters for years. My seat post is over 3yrs old and so is my rear shock. By the way before there are any comments my underwear is always washed yearly whether it needs it or not.
    I'm with you. I just replaced the Avid Mechs I've been riding on 3 different bikes for 7 years now.
    Mostly, I replace because I break, and that too often for me!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ajr
    You should treat yourself Alan !

At least I've not changed the frame ! 14 months is brilliant for me

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    You should treat yourself Alan !

At least I've not changed the frame ! 14 months is brilliant for me

I am very pleased that you have had your frame that amount of time,as for you that is a lifetime. When you got it I did say the experience of riding it would make replacing it for something better hard to contemplate.

I have treated myself to some new grips, my bike is so sorted I am totally happy with every part of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    you did and you were right