mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Any pics of El Toro with reinforce headtube?

If anyone has pics of their El Toro with a reinforced headtube to allow the El Toro handle a longer travel fork (greater than 80mm) could you please post them? Thanks.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Here is a thread on head tube gussets for the other Ventana HTs

Comandante/Padrino headtube gussets?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

thanks mtnbiker4life

How much does it cost to get that gusset put on the frame?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Money in fair words.................

$75.........not bad at all

Shot Down in Flames...
    Custom El Toro (El Bucanero)

Custom El Chiquillo

I run the Bucanero at 105mm and the Chiquillo between 100-130, both with U-Turn RS forks (Reba on the Bucanero, Revelation on the Brat)

D.

mtbr member
    Same difference on the chiquillo:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

NIce welds!

So what size fork are you using on that El Chiquillo?

mtbr member
    What's the max travel you can put on either one of these with the HT gusset? I'm looking for a HT frame I can run 130-140mm fork on (ideally Pike U-turn) and would love to get a Ventana...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Call Sherwood......I'm sure he can build you a HT frame that will accept a Pike......you know what would be cool is that phat ars down tube on the Bruja.....

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    What's the max travel you can put on either one of these with the HT gusset? I'm looking for a HT frame I can run 130-140mm fork on (ideally Pike U-turn) and would love to get a Ventana...

Sherwood ok'd mine up to 130, hence the Revelation. I have a set of PIKE lowers, but have yet to put them on the Rev.

If you are up front about your intentions, Sherwood can build it accordingly.

D.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Manitou fork

What do you think about this fork in 100mm travel mode for the El Toro? http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_14_340_3crx.aspx

Ultra Ventanaphile
    If you don't mind me jumping in to your question to D-Rock.

You'll want to talk to Sherwood, about the fork you want to run. It's more than just adding the gusset, you have to keep in mind that you're altering the geometry as well. Unless you have Sherwood correct it for the longer fork.

I've run my Toro with a 90mm fork (U-Turn Psylo) then a Reba at 100mm and finally at 85mm, which was the intended fork for the original geometry. It's a fun bike with the longer travel, but at 85mm it really shines, the 70/72 (Head/Seat) geometry is perfect for the terrain I ride in (NorCal-which makes sense since Ventana's are made here) running stock geo at 100 will slacken it out to ~ 69Degrees.

D-Rock- Did you have Sherwood "Correct" the geo for the longer travel forks, are did you want the slacker angles?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    I agree with Ciclistagonzo. But that is precisely the reason why I run a Reba @100.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Maybe the Reba Race is the choice fork to get for the Toro

I like the option the Reba offers for travel length adjustments. It would be nice to get a little more travel on a long rocky downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    If you don't mind me jumping in to your question to D-Rock.

You'll want to talk to Sherwood, about the fork you want to run. It's more than just adding the gusset, you have to keep in mind that you're altering the geometry as well. Unless you have Sherwood correct it for the longer fork.

I've run my Toro with a 90mm fork (U-Turn Psylo) then a Reba at 100mm and finally at 85mm, which was the intended fork for the original geometry. It's a fun bike with the longer travel, but at 85mm it really shines, the 70/72 (Head/Seat) geometry is perfect for the terrain I ride in (NorCal-which makes sense since Ventana's are made here) running stock geo at 100 will slacken it out to ~ 69Degrees.

D-Rock- Did you have Sherwood "Correct" the geo for the longer travel forks, are did you want the slacker angles?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I have the "All Travel" spacers, so I have set travel. But yeah it handles well at 100mm, but for me, better all around at 85. And I've been very happy with the Reba.

Especially with the Mo Co. I set the PSI about 10psi lower than norm, use the lockout and have the Floodgate at minimum. No pogoing up front and but very plush once it hits a bump.

It's an awesome frame to play with that's for sure.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo

Both of mine were built for 100mm. I like the slacker angles on the Chiquillo with the Rev rolled out since I ride it as my main trail bike.

D.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    HT gusset is a standard for 2008 chiquillo, don't know about the Toro tho.