CEO Product Failure

Good job! Another Ventana story

I've waited to post this as I wanted to not keep any in too much suspense as to the anticipated ending but here goes...a short time ago, in a trail system not far away...

October 14th to be exact, well not to get to far ahead here, those of you who don't know me, know this: I kill bike parts. Its been since 2003, March 23rd 2003 to be exact, since I destroyed a frame like this. It was my fourth and subsequentlly, final Joker. Though, I am in no way throwing my Ventana into the same crap bin as a **** (hmm...I guess **** is a four letter word, weird that you can't say that in the Ventana forum )Worthless product, the situations were strikingly similar; in that both were JRA's. I ride tons, I'm a big guy: 6' 1" 250-260, last night I weighed 249lbs.

if the pic don't work follow the link: http://forum.bikemag.com/photopost/d...m/DSC_0106.JPG BIKE's been having some photo forum issues as of late.

At first I thought the front der cable busted, TWANG, but after a couple moments of trying to rig the fr der into the middle ring, I caught sight of the break. Its kinda like that one time in High School, when you found out that the girl you've had a deep crush on since 4th grade, well you find out she's got genital herpes. Yeah, its not the end of the world, but you do feel like something so nice has been ruined and will never be the same again. I limped out of the woods, though I was only some 50ft from the parking lot, in the past I had cried on these walks. But I'm somewhat trained to them and felt a bitter-sweet remorse. I really hadn't ridden the Ciclon much--not as much as a I should have. I built it with a 6.5", way-too-heavy fork that I had recently replaced with a 4lb, 5" travel fork. That fork really brought life to the Ciclon and I've been riding it 4-5 times a week since Sept 30th (it's inaugural ride with the Fox Talas 32 RLC ). It was about 3:45pm on Sunday. I really wanted to ride given that I'm tied up all week and wouldn't b e home until late Friday, and I had worked form 7am-2pm on Sunday, plus I had drug a riding buddy out to the trail on this ride who hadn't turned his cranks since May...yeah I was jonesing hard for a nice ride.

64oz of Margharitas later...I started to feel a little more light hearted. Then I cracked open a 24oz race car beer...3 hours and a half case of beer later, I could smile again.

I e-mailed Ventana the following Monday morning, and called them later around lunch. To my surprise, Teresa said that Sherwood wanted to speak with me and to call him on his cell. I don't need to tell you, Sherwood Gibson IS VENTANA. He is the owner, designer, fabricator, all around good guy and Teresa is his right and left hand(s). Imagine calling Fisher, Specialized or Foes and being given the owner's cell phone to call. Pretty cool. As best as I can relate; Sherwood said it appeared the frame failed because the shock bottomed out. The shock has an 800lb spring, at "bottom out" it would produce at least, at least 1,600 lbs of force on the frame. He said I was either a big guy or hitting/casing 20ft hucks/drops. Iím a big guy. 6í1Ē, 252lbs this morning though the shock was tuned/set up when I was weighing in at 268lbs this spring. Go figure. Long story short, the first thing Sherwood said when he picked up the phone was Iím glad you werenít hurt. What heís going to do is refab/design the front triangle with a new designed, reinforced seat tube that will be stronger and more durable than the stock design. Itíll be a one-off design, and thereíll be no charge, its covered under warranty, and I believe the first and only person to date to bust a Ciclon.

Fast forward to this week and know that I've been pestering Teresa with phone calls and e-mails all the while this has been going. And know she has been very, very available to return calls and emails promptly...Not something everyone is accustomed to in this day and age. I know the frame (or frame's carcass) didn't show up till around the 23rd/24th of October and then it had to go through heat treating and the caveat loop hole here was--this is a semi-custom 21/19" with a few bells and whistles and it had to be ball burnished. Which is as I understand is done in SoCal. Anyone remember what was going on in SoCal the last 10 days of October? Yeah fires! So last night, I got an e-mail from Teresa stating they got the frame late Friday and went ahead and shipped it UPS 3-Day; since it took longer than anticipated due to the ball burnishing. Anyway, longstory short...she said to expect the frame on Wednesday (tomorrow) and provided me with a tracking number.

About 10am this morning the frame showed up. And she's a beaut...glimmering...flowey...juggernaut...one-of-a-kind...begging for fall riding. Anywho, it'll be Friday before I've got time to dial 'er in and Saturday before her maiden voyage. Once she's built I'll post some pic's. I've truly now got a one-of-a-kind, one-of-a-kind.

Sorry for the story taking so long to spin, but when you figure in the time the frame's been in shipping, and the added time for ball burnishing, it hasn't yet been one calendar month and I've got my frame warrantied. I don't know if I should say this but I will; all I was responsible for was shipping out to them. That's it. Yeah, I bartered labor with the lbs in exchange for beer and some good eats, but damn...I remember four years ago calling Sherwood after years of frustration with GT and Worthless he said something like:

"I can't guarantee you'll never break one of my frames but if you do I won't simply replace/warranty it, I will redesign the failed part." It happened once with the Chamuco's pivot (warrantied with a redesigned stainless steel pivot) and now it happened again with a new Ciclon.

To Teresa and Sherwood, I owe you a BIG thank you! And to everyone else, Ventana is a rare find in today's business world. A very rare find.

-Binge

Bodhisattva
    Great story.

800 lb spring? Holy cow. You may want to sent that to PUSH to get the bottom out tweaked

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Ventana is a rare find in today's business world. A very rare find.

Been there, said that!

Just really good people doing something that they like to do.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wow...great story..ventana CS rules!

"Its All Good"
    Awesome story................... Now that will make you comfy Cris, 2 Ventana's in a month...

Look forward to seeing some pics of Binge's new frame and build
    Last edited by Whafe; 11-14-2007 at 04:08 AM.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Awesome story................... Now that will make you comfy Cris, 2 Ventana's in a month...
    oh yes it does!

Last edited by crisillo; 11-19-2007 at 01:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    wow binge, new ride looks great...

is there any further explanation on the modification or is it simply a thicker gauge aluminum? looks like i see a weld around the circumference of the tube towards the top that usually isnt there...? thanks again for the story!

todd

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Great story, bing.
    As a new Ventana rider, it's stories like this one about superior customer service that ultimately swayed me to a Ventana. I even got to experience their awesome service before I ordered my bike by helping me with custom colors and frame decision, El Ciclon or X5. I ended up with Cosmic Gray El Ciclon. I couldn't be happier.

The Ball Burnished frame looks great!

CEO Product Failure
    Are these pic's still showing up? They are not displaying on my computer today.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    not working for me...
    Drew
    __________________________________________________ __
    Rides in Minneapolis, MN.

CEO Product Failure

Reposting pics

From the break.

CEO Product Failure

Smile and now, finally, the good stuff

pic's reposted from the first ride of the rebirthed Ciclon.

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    wow binge, new ride looks great...

is there any further explanation on the modification or is it simply a thicker gauge aluminum? looks like i see a weld around the circumference of the tube towards the top that usually isnt there...? thanks again for the story!

todd
    Here's what you're referring to:

To the nekkid eye, THAT is the only visible difference. On a stock Ciclon, the seat tube appears one fluid piece. My seat tube is larger and tapered at the weld. I can only speculate the tube is consistently a thicker gauged tubing from BB to seatpost collar. But the actual answer is known only to Sherwood. Surprisingly the 31.8 XT fr der did not require any modification to install.