mtbr member
    May 2004

Another Fork Spec Question - Replacing the PIKE on the X-5

Well, ladies and gents, I am considering wandering away from the RS Pike.

Long story short, I need to tear it down and give it an entire rebuild with new o-rings ($30kit), after which I will still have a Poplock on the handlebars that I never have liked/wanted/used, unless I want to throw another $80 at parts (on top of the oil change). The oil leak means that I need a new fork soon....

I wanted to get some feedback on two specific Marzocchis that might fit the bill -
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_fro...t_124524.shtml
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2006_fro...t_125178.shtml

One can be had for about half the price of the other, with the older being cheaper.
    I loved the external travel adjust on the PIKE, but am ready to move onto something else.

I am trying to match the feel of my newly dialed PUSH'd DHX on the back, in 6" travel setting. The higher AC on the Marz will mean that travel adjust is highly desireable!

For one of these, I will have to shell out quick(!), and you-know-who, I know what your thoughts are!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

CEO Product Failure
    Why not just send the Pike off to Push? Or is it too old? If anyone could match a Push'd DHX, well it'd be them.

mtbr member
    May 2004

that was my first thought...

and therein lies the problem!
    Looking at $215+shipping will get me the rebuild/service.
    If I am dropping $200 more on this fork, I have to get rid of the Poplock! That cartridge/service is going to cost about $45 more...

Anyways, that pushes this fork right on up close to $300 - I figure at that price, why not try something new with a hair more travel, different coil feel, etc...UGI ensued, you might say!

At least with a different fork I could either sell this one and recover some of the cost, even if it only gets $150 it is more than nothing!

Team Chilidog!
    Are you running air or coil Pike? I really like the Lyrik U-turn. Right now, I'm really stoked about coil because the travel suits my riding style a little better (and the extra weight on the bike makes a great excuse for being the last one up the hill ).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

I'll put another vote in for the Lyrik coil. Mine has worked out perfectly with the 6" rockers.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I'll put another vote in for the Lyrik coil. Mine has worked out perfectly with the 6" rockers.

I really like the performance and features of my Lyrik Coil U-Turn as well ! It has an advertised weight of 5.73 lbs which I don't think is too heavy but some might ! I've been using the U-Turn feature more than I thought I would in fact now I couldn't do without it ( real sweet on steeper climbs) not to mention the mission control ! TIG.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks guys (and gal).
    The lyrik is more mula than will be leaving my account. Realistically, 140-150mm travel is where I need to be, and cannot find any deals on a lyric coil uturn under 700ish...I am looking to spend half that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero

I wanted to get some feedback on two specific Marzocchis that might fit the bill -
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_fro...t_124524.shtml
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2006_fro...t_125178.shtml
    I have the 2005 Z1FR on my X-5/6 running a non-pushed DHX coil, bought new in 2005 and run ever since. What would you like to know?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by P Fradale
    I have the 2005 Z1FR on my X-5/6 running a non-pushed DHX coil, bought new in 2005 and run ever since. What would you like to know?
    Thanks for posting up - I came accross your bike in the setup thread last night.
    Is it an 04 or 05+?
    My main concern for this fork is the lack of external travel adjust - how do you find the ETA for climbing? There are many, many techy climbs here in Austin that I am afraid pushing the front end up to 538ish AC might cost me dearly on - I know the ETA is good for dropping it, but I am not sure if that remaining 30mm of travel will work for me. I see you mention the adjustability here

How do you adjust the compression dampening? Is that done strictly via oil and preload shims? How has it held up? How do you think it matches that DHX rear end?
    How is the stiffness of the fork - is there anything you can compare it to?
    Any other thoughts concerns?

My riding style is aggressive trail....gotta work for the descents here in the hill country. Some drops, not much over 3' I don't think. Lots of techy stuff, ledges and such.

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My X is an 05 with the (somewhat) slacker geometry. The ETA is passable; I have not run travel-adjustable forks so I cannot compare, but it drops the forks enough to keep the front end from wandering too much on tricky ascents and leaves some travel for the bumps. It is a tall fork, though. I certainly would not keep it engaged when going downhill, though, as the forks get very stiff indeed after multiple small drops (~1'). Like I said in that post you mention I keep it engaged while climbing and release it before running downhill. Our rides here tend to be a long slog up followed by a fun downhill run rather than XC-ish ups and downs. On that sort of trail I think the ETA would not be very good since you'd have to constantly throw the lever on and off. Where this fork excels is absorbing downhill bumps and drops. It is plush without being mushy and handles even large drops with no fuss, which for me means no more than 5'. I took the bike to Whistler and did not want any more fork, even riding with my buddies that had big DC forks.

The fork is very stiff laterally and the front end tracks well. I find my traction is limited by my tires before I find the fork's limit. I am sure the 20mm thru-axle has a lot to do with that. It is a tough fork as well. I have stuffed it more times than I care to remember and the forks are still in great shape. It matches the DHX coil quite well. One thing--when I got the fork the tube was pressed into the crown incorrectly and the local rep in Japan did not have the aluminum replacement; as a result I have a steel steering tube which is heavier than I'd like. It does probably make it stronger though. The legs are covered by some lizard skins and in the 2.5 years I have had it they still look new--seals and all, even though I ride it all the time in all sorts of dirt, rocks and mud.

Compression and rebound adjustment are via the TST cartridge in the right leg: rebound in the lower, 5-point compression at the top. The five positions are CL (lock), +, AM, -, and DS (downhill). You can also play with the air preload to set sag as you'd like.

I think if you can grab one for a couple of hundred ~ three hundred bucks you cannot go wrong, really.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, both in PMs and responses here.

I missed my opportunity on that marz, so I made sure not to miss a great deal on a 07 Lyrik Coil U-T that popped up on the classifieds here.

The only change that has been made was replacing that 60mm truvativ stem with a 70mm Thomson x4.

I have 3 rides on it now. I am 235 all suited up, and am running an xtra-firm spring that sags about 20% and has bottomed once. I have to agree that this is more of a long-legged trail fork than a drop fork, which suits my riding perfectly. The bike feels much better at 150mm than I had expected - now I realize that the Pike was a bit short for the 6" mode. It really regained it's balance - I even made some climbs that I had not made in a long time. It is active and very easy to setup. It isn't quite as active as the DHX on the small stuff, but PUSH worked wonders on that. There is a noticeable increase in stiffness, the deflection is really minimized. I did have to up the rotor to 203mm up front, which is overkill, but the only way to save from getting a new caliper. The infinite travel adjust is really a must for me, so it really pushed me to RS over the marz in that department. I

More to come later....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    cool - love those forks !

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats CZ!

203 is not overkill

you will become addicted to it soon enough

enjoy the lyrik!