mtbr member
    May 2007

Advice on shock for old El Ciclon, please

Hi. Looking for expert advice: I have an El Ciclon of about 4 years old, which needs a new rear shock. I bought it second hand & it came with an old Fox DHX5 shock, which was always a bit dodgy. I think the previous owner replaced it with the stock Fox RP23 which it would have come with. (had the DHX serviced recently & it needs serious money spending on it to make it work properly again).
    Anyway, looking on ebay & new, there are so many different shock tunes available, I don't know which one is best for the El Ciclon. I would probably look for an RP23 or RP2.

Advice please!

If it's relevant, I'm 50, weigh about 92kg & use the bike for weekends away to Wales (long climbs & rocky descents). Forks are Rock Shocks Sektor coil 150/ 130). I have a much lighter carbon hardtail for thrashing around the local flatter trails.

Cheers guys

Team Chilidog!
    So are you looking for any shock for the Ciclon or the specific RP23 tunes? Ventanas usually use low tunes, but your ride experience may vary. I personally prefer a midtune, but a lot of people are perfectly happy with the low tunes.

Are you looking at RP23s or the new Float CTD rear shocks?
    Last edited by crisillo; 01-31-2013 at 03:43 AM. Reason: removed spam
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi Stripes
    Finally able to log in again after the forum upgrade. Wouldn't accept my password until this evening.
    Anyway, I'm looking to get a decent shock on a budget, so unfortunately I can't afford your CCDB. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions. I know the El Ciclons come with the RP23, so I figured they would be the best, in the right tune. Looking on Ebay now for a decent secondhand one, which is where I noticed all the different tune settings. Then I just got confused & turned here for advice!

Team Chilidog!
    The RP23 is good, but if you're looking for a shock on a budget, also look for the Monarch. I was impressed with how well it works with the Ventanas. However, the new Fox Float CTDs are nice. I'd give Ventana a call and see what they recommend.

No worries about the CCDB. Figured it was worth a shot. I did pay for the ad, sorry Crisillo.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Plenty of tunes out there to help confuse us for sure. If you are keen to go with the RP23, LOW tune Rebound is a must, at 2.4/2.5:1 Ratio, the shock shaft speed on the Ciclon is not fast. Compression tune, low or mid will work. Low tune will be more active suspension, with a bit more pedal bob. Mid tune will have the more pronounced pedal platform, and feel a bit harsh on hard (faster shaft speed) hits, as the compression circuit will work too hard to damp the hit. ME? I like active suspension so Low/low is what I have.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."