mtbr member

About ready to throw away my El Toro...

Only when I stand up, I get this "tink tink tink" sound everytime the pedal/crankarm goes over the top on the down stroke. I've changed pedals, and get the same problem. Pulled the EBB and re-lubed - same results. Crankarm bolts tight? Yep.

Any solutions before I send this thing to the scrap heap?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Only when I stand up, I get this "tink tink tink" sound everytime the pedal/crankarm goes over the top on the down stroke. I've changed pedals, and get the same problem. Pulled the EBB and re-lubed - same results. Crankarm bolts tight? Yep.

BB cups? My tink, tink, tink was worn out BB bearings. GXP seem more suseptible as well, but that's just my experience. Picked up some RF SS cranks and all has been very quiet.

Hope you figure it out... course trading in for the swinger frame is an option as well!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This is going to sound silly, but you're sure it isn't the ferrule on the cable of the front der. I had a friend whos pant leg would catch it and then it would bounce bake into the seatube making a tinking noise.

Ryan

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post

You should keep the EBB lubed but this "tink tink tink" is coming from the BB. I just had that happen to me. I pulled the cranks and checked the BB if it was tight. Put some lube on the crank / BB interface surfaces and the spline....."tink tink tink" no mo.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryana View Post
    This is going to sound silly, but you're sure it isn't the ferrule on the cable of the front der. I had a friend whos pant leg would catch it and then it would bounce bake into the seatube making a tinking noise.

Ryan
    While I agree that chasing creaks can come from all kinds of places, in AK's case he's running a SS so no front cable or rear for that matter!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

No known cure
    I had the same noise on my SS. I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb and found that the cassette lockring was loose, and the pedal spindle was partly unthreaded from the pedal body. After tightening those, the noise was gone. I'm not sure who the culprit was though.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member

Gave up...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I got out the white flag and took it to the LBS to have them tear it apart and see if they can find it. I told them I don't want it back until they solve it.

Love the fit and feel of the frame, but just really frustrated I can't get this annoying sound to stop, especially since the frame is only a year and a half old (assuming it's the frame or EBB)!

To me it sounds like it's coming from the EBB/BB area, but we'll see what the shop finds out...

mtbr member

Hopeful this is the cause...

[QUOTE=mtnbiker4life;8483058]You should keep the EBB lubed but this "tink tink tink" is coming from the BB. I just had that happen to me. I pulled the cranks and checked the BB if it was tight. Put some lube on the crank / BB interface surfaces and the spline....."tink tink tink" no mo. .[/QUOTE

Mtnbiker4life - was yours the same that it only made that noise when standing? I couldn't get it to do it any other way and since I stand a lot on the El Toro, it well, became quite annoying...

PMK
    mtbr member
    While this may seem an extreme possibility, you may consider it for the creaks that never go away. No not ear plugs or music while riding.

While not a Ventana, years ago, Cannondale released the Rush, living in the Southeast we are able to ride all year, so the bikes were received here and ridden a bunch before other parts of the country. My friend and shop owner that was a C'dale dealer at the time, had a creak that nothing seemed to resolve. He asked me to take the bike, ride it and see if I could determine the cause. Redid all the typical disassembly and lube things again, no luck. Checked cable ends and bottle cages, even the bolt on items like suspension and swingarm plates.

In the end, I sprayed the frame vents with Corrosion X, a corrosion prevention fluid, that also has some lubrication properties. Problem solved. Seems the miters for joining the tubes, and the "tabs" Cannondale would laser cut to facilitate assembly had small portions with fretting problems. These were amplified by the tubes length.

Not saying this is the exact problem but may be worth a try if all else fails.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Problem solved. Thanks Folsom Bike!!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    [QUOTE=AK47;8485206]
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    You should keep the EBB lubed but this "tink tink tink" is coming from the BB. I just had that happen to me. I pulled the cranks and checked the BB if it was tight. Put some lube on the crank / BB interface surfaces and the spline....."tink tink tink" no mo. .[/QUOTE

Mtnbiker4life - was yours the same that it only made that noise when standing? I couldn't get it to do it any other way and since I stand a lot on the El Toro, it well, became quite annoying...
    Mine ended up being a combination of the crank spindle/spline needing a light coat of lube and the near new XT pedals needing a little lube love. It's all good now ready for some FHD/Connector loving in the morning.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing that. I guess I need to go back to EBB/BB cleaning school cuz the shop said the whole area was pretty dirty...