mtbr member

About to oder a X5, just a few questions about geometry

Ive searched high and low tring to find the perfect ride, think that the X'er might be it. I do have a few concerns about the geometry, the head angle seams to be rather steep, how do you guy's like it for fast downhill type trails? The 5 Spot is very popular around here in Socal, one reason is the slacker head angles, 69 rather than 70 on the Ventana, plus adding a taller fork like the Z1 makes it more stable, this will help the X5 as well, but is still steeper then the Turner. I would like to add the 6" rockers sometime and this again will steepen and raise the bottom bracket, do this make it steer to quik?
    I solution I guess is to have Sherwood modify the head tube to a 69 deg angle, what do you guy's think? I have a few rides on a Chamuco with a Z1 and I do like a slacker ride, though riding in Mammoth Mtn in the tight trails makes the Chamuco slow in the corners and I really have to pull on the bars. Anyway, thoughts and comments will be considered.
    Thanks, Robert

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

yep, quicker steering.

going to a 6" rear will steepen the seat and head angle roughly 1 degree. just get a z150 to balance it out. :-)

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    Ive searched high and low tring to find the perfect ride, think that the X'er might be it. I do have a few concerns about the geometry, the head angle seams to be rather steep, how do you guy's like it for fast downhill type trails? The 5 Spot is very popular around here in Socal, one reason is the slacker head angles, 69 rather than 70 on the Ventana, plus adding a taller fork like the Z1 makes it more stable, this will help the X5 as well, but is still steeper then the Turner. I would like to add the 6" rockers sometime and this again will steepen and raise the bottom bracket, do this make it steer to quik?
    I solution I guess is to have Sherwood modify the head tube to a 69 deg angle, what do you guy's think? I have a few rides on a Chamuco with a Z1 and I do like a slacker ride, though riding in Mammoth Mtn in the tight trails makes the Chamuco slow in the corners and I really have to pull on the bars. Anyway, thoughts and comments will be considered.
    Thanks, Robert

banned
    I like more relaxed head angles too, but remember what you're buying the X-5 for. I worried about the 70 deg HA with Fox or Manitou, but since I only gave those forks a passing thought, I thought I would go with the almost 69 deg HA given by the Z1 FR, which was the fork I planned to put on it.

I have done a few good trail rides on my X-5 now, and while I haven't done our local most techie DH run yet (it's still pretty snowy), I find the HA is right on the money with a Z1. It's not like my Bullit, but it's slack enough to feel comfy on drop-ins. Remember, your choice of handlebar and stem also affect stability on descents etc. I'm 5'10" with 34" sleeve length arms, I'm riding a Medium X-5 with a 90mm 5deg stem and an Azonic Dbl Wall 2" riser bar (28" wide), which helps with high speed and descent stability for me. If I were more an XC guy, I'd probably use a 110mm 5deg stem and a 26" wide 1" rise bar, and maybe even a Fox fork (125mm).

With the 6" rockers in the rear, I'd definitely try for the Z150 or even a 6" Sherman Slider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

definitively quick steering

I love it for exactly that, with a Fox Talas. But it's my XC/trail (in industry terms) bike, quick on the technical/uphill stuff and predictable enough since stiff on moderate downhills. Given this setup I would not exacly call it DH capable. But: You can always slacken the HA with a taller fork (and there's plenty out there), more travel doesn't hurt. If, like with most other bikes, the HA is already shopper there's no more upgrading. BB height should not be a problem with the X5.
    But I might come from a different angle: I found most bikes bikes too slack, they always limited me when I wanted to use a taller fork (uzzi sl/uzzi slx). The X5 seems to handle both 5" and 6" really well.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by ride red
    Thanks, Robert
    Honestly, when I first saw the numbers I thought it was too steep. But, one ride on the bike changed that quickly. I like fairly slack angles, but the X-5 really doesn't feel excessively steep to me with the Z1, no matter what terrain I ride it in. A little steeper than the Turner, but it feels just fine. I've ridden both of those bikes back to back in technical terrain and never felt like there was a significant difference in how well they handled nasty technical downhill sections.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com