Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650B front and longer travel fork on El Chucho?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wobbem 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for an all mountain bike and am not sure I can wait for the 650B Zeus to be available. I want more front travel than the 120mm on the front of the Chucho. It seems reasonable to believe that one of the new 650B 140-150mm forks (coming out soon) combined with a 650B front wheel would give equal front/rear travel and still be a Mutt. I like the gearing and quick feeling of a 26 rear. Thoughts?

#4 ·
My search just got a lot more urgent. My old bike died on the trail a few hours ago. Prior to that, I had pretty much decided on a Turner 5-Spot for the following reasons: anodized finish is cool, don't like the curving top tube on the El Ciclon/El Chucho, and the greasable composite bushing pivots seem like a better idea than cartridge bearings. However, I just got a 20% off coupon for a Ventana and it is already a couple hundred less than the Turner.

#6 ·
Sounds like a plan.

I could not wait either, waiting on my Nicolai Helius AM next week, and eventually plan to run it with 160mm Fox with 650b tires in front. With low stack headset should be the same ride height as 170mm that it is designed for. Rear - not sure yet.

But... in your case frame is designed around 29r fork trail. 69d head angle. So it will be noticeably steeper handling, even as the ride height is the same - as fork compresses much deeper. In my case - it is the opposite, which I think is preferable. (66.5 head angle)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.