NOT Team Sanchez

5'' Rockers on my El Rey? I'm Listening!!

So I haven't really posted a whole lot lately since letting my La Bruja go, but you'll be interested to learn that I've been riding a Ventana El Rey I picked up on the classifieds a few months ago. I've never owned a 29er, but have ridden my dad's XL Sultan from time to time, but I'm sold on 'em now! I know this sounds funny, but this bike feels like I'm riding a slightly firmer El Guapo but with a magical tail wind all the time. I have been airing out sections of trail I typically pump or roll through because I'm going through the sections significantly faster. I haven't done any of our local stunts yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine on the minimal impact ones. My build is a sturdy, no compromise setup with a 20mm thru WB Fluid 130 and a Hadley 10mm hub/axle, total weight is about 33-34 lbs.

The purpose of the new thread: You can run 5'' rockers on this frame?! I want to do it, this bike is so capable that with 5'' out back my El Guapo may soon gather dust. What does running 5'' do to my geometry, do I need to switch from a 2.0 to a 2.25? Thanks in advance guys
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

Introducing ''Agent Orange."

Here are some pixels of the bike, my quiver is down to, and will be staying down to, just my El Guapo and the El Rey, which covers about every known style of riding pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5'' Rockers on my El Rey? I'm Listening!!-p5pb8075641.jpg  

5'' Rockers on my El Rey? I'm Listening!!-p5pb8075648.jpg  

5'' Rockers on my El Rey? I'm Listening!!-p5pb8075656.jpg  

I like bikes.

mtbr member
    I have nothing really to add...Other than that bikes looks nice and burly. Looks good.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Nice ride and sensible build up. I don't think there were 130mm rockers made for El Rey, I know El Cap had 120mm ones, drawback is this will steepen your geo a bit, but not a ton, maybe 1/2 a degree. Best bet here is call V HQ on Monday and see if this is Kosher.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks for the heads up and compliment both of y'all! I'm not exaggerating when I say this bike is capable, I press my buddies' rear wheels on their 6 and 7 inch travel rigs down very technical lines. I don't know how I'd feel about the steeper geo, but the extra travel would be nice for Moab in a few weeks.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Mtnbiker4life sent me a PM after seeing this thread and a set of 5'' rockers are on their way after working out a transaction. Thanks man! I will still give Ventana a call although I've digging and have found a few old threads about this being done successfully. 'Rode a trail called Stucki Springs here in STG,UT last night with my dad and we had our fastest descent yet down it; we battled a stiff headwind the whole way to the top, which became a tailwind on the way back. I was once again impressed by the bike, but have begun to notice a few things that aren't necessarily bad or good, and mostly just true of 29ers in general. The wheel flex despite having straight gauge spokes and 30mm Alex rims was really standing out last night as the the trails has dozens upon dozens of g-out whoops some of them being in the middle of turns, which is where it was most apparent. I having been hard time dropping the 30 lbs I gained as a newlywed, so at 240 lbs I'm no welterweight which leads to believe that as I drop the pounds the wheels will stiffen up in a negative correlation, and so will my speeds Also, the RP23 is very good in two spots, the top and the bottom, the middle is just plain mush! Final Word: I wonder why I waited so long to jump into the 29er scene!
    I like bikes.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Mtnbiker4life sent me a PM after seeing this thread and a set of 5'' rockers are on their way after working out a transaction. !
    Yeah, I'd be concerned about that. The 26" rockers and 29" rockers were NOT cross compatible that last I checked. Put in other words, the leverage ratio's and kinetics were specific for the wheel size. I'm almost positive the tire or seat stay bridge will hit the seattube if you use the 5" rockers from an early Ciclon.

Call V or let out all the air on the Shock and do the clearance check.

-A
    -Aaron G.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Don't worry Ciclista, I'll check
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Some of the threads I was referencing:

EL Rey 17 - Fluid 135 - 5 inch rocker
    5 inch rockers for el rey??
    Ventana El Rey 4" vs. 5"

I'm going into Psychology, Grad school this fall, so you know I love to cite, APA baby!
    Last edited by wasea04; 05-06-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    I like bikes.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Hey WAS I'm at V HQ and just checked for you, if the rockers have a V logo on them they are 26 rockers and are not Kosher. These (see pic) are the 130 29er rockers. 5'' Rockers on my El Rey? I'm Listening!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336420517.685305.jpg V has 'em stock.
    -Aaron G.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Wow, thanks Ciclista! I was at work from 10-8 so I didn't get a chance, so once again, thank you! The bad news is that they're the wrong rockers
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    So my rockers will allow the seatstay arch to contact my seattube? Oh well, anybody need a set of 5'' rockers?
    I like bikes.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    So my rockers will allow the seatstay arch to contact my seattube? Oh well, anybody need a set of 5'' rockers?
    The seatstay arch or tire, and the BB will be higher than necessary affecting the geometry more than the correct rockers.

-A
    -Aaron G.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Seriously though, if anyone needs 26'' frame 5'' rockers in good shape, they can be yours for just $50
    I like bikes.