mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. 30.9 seat tube reaming

For you 2012 Ventana owners, I'm wondering if anyone has reamed the seat tube down past the rockers to allow full saddle drop without a dropper post. If so, how'd it go?

FYI, the old V seat tubes stepped down to 27.2, so there was nothing to interfere with the seatpost. The new frames are 30.9 all the way down, but they're only reamed down to around the rocker pivot on the seat tube, so pushing the post down past that point gets quite difficult, and pulling it out is even tougher.

I did talk to Sherwood about this, and he suggested that I just get a dropper post. Trouble is, I don't want one. I prefer the simplicity and reliablility of a solid post, and most of the riding I do is up-up-up, then down-down-down, so I don't need to constantly raise and lower the post. I do, however, need to drop the saddle all the way down for steep descents, and then raise it up again at some point without dislocating my shoulder.

Lightly salted
    I have a 2012 ciclon. I used my old 27.2 seat post from my old X5 and bought a shim to fit the 2012 ciclon 30.9 seat tube size. Shim cost $5, much cheaper than a dropper post if you don't need one. No problem lowering my seat all the way down to the bottom bracket with this setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Does your shim stay in place when you raise the saddle? I bought a USE shim for exactly this purpose, but it comes out on the seatpost when I raise the saddle, so it seems more trouble than it's worth.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Does your shim stay in place when you raise the saddle? I bought a USE shim for exactly this purpose, but it comes out on the seatpost when I raise the saddle, so it seems more trouble than it's worth.
    My shim does not move at all when lowering or rising seat post. I don't remember the brand since I had bought it off ebay a while back. Im also running the shim under the seat post clamp if you havnt tried that yet. You could probably also try sanding the inside of the shim so the post slides easier and dosnt pull the shim out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe I'll look into getting anther shim, since they're so cheap. Thanks for the suggestions.