mtbr member

3 Q's about el toro

Hi all,
    I'm considering the el toro bike (I currently ride a c'dale rush, and want to go SS...)
    Got some questions for you guys:
    - How's the rear tire clearence? Is it possible to fit a 2.1 Maxxis advantage (Which is more like a 2.2)?
    - Can the el toro handle a fox f100? will it ruin the handling? or do I need an f80?
    And, finally
    - Can you put a rear mech on the el toro (I see a hanger on the frame) and turn it into a 1x9?

thanks a lot!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    defer to others who own an El Toro on the first two but I own a Comandante which is probably applicable......great tire clearance.

in regards to the hanger, you could always do what I did and spec it with a rear der hanger but cable routed for only a rear der, specifically for the 1x9 consideration.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If some of your answers are not on the Ventana website or answered by riders here, try calling the Ventana office or email them. They have always been quick to respond, especially if the email is brief and specific, like your post.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    If some of your answers are not on the Ventana website or answered by riders here, try calling the Ventana office or email them. They have always been quick to respond, especially if the email is brief and specific, like your post.
    indeed...they are more than happy to respond so long as the phone call or email is not under my cover. Its weird that they are always too busy to talk when I call???? Must be coincidence....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sherwood and Teresa have told me that they get really busy when you call. It's a coincidence but every time you call, they get all sorts of less pleasant undone chores completed

Shot Down in Flames...
    • Tire clearance - I've run 2.3 Spiders, 2.3 Eskars and 2.35 Nevegals with room to spare.
    • Fork compability - Tell Sherwood that you want to run a 100mm fork and for a small upcharge they will weld a gusset to support the longer fork. I run mine at ~105mm.
    • 1x9 - As Fo said, the bottle opener that is stock can easily be replaced with a der. hangar. I had ziptie cable guides added to mine for that very reason.

Kinda hard to see in this pic, but the guides are under the TT. Gusset and 2.3 Spiders are also present.

D.

mtbr member

any 2.1

I'm currently running Specialized rollx 2.0 that look allmost like road tires on the El Toro but I did test fit a 2.4 Kenda Cortez on Rhino Lite XL 29mm rim and it fit with about 3/16 clearence so I'm sure the Advantage 2.1 would be fine.
    I'd like to run a 100mm for on mine but I don't know the answer to you're other 2 questions although it looks like the bottle opener is in the place of a derailure hanger with the hardware powdered over.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Its weird that they are always too busy to talk when I call???? Must be coincidence....
    They have Fo-ler ID on their phone lines, try calling from a pay phone . . .

Sweet looking rig, DRock . . . .

mtbr member
    Thanks for your answers everyone! Hope to be part of the family by spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This is the email from Teresa confirmed that 2008 El Chiquillo and El Toro come with the HT gusset as a standard feature.

"It is designed for 80mm but you can go up to 100mm. El Toro will also have the gusset.

Regards,
    Teresa Franco
    Ventana Mountain Bikes, USA
    916-631-0544, ext. 203"

Reba Team with U-TURN will be sweet on this rig.

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    This is the email from Teresa confirmed that 2008 El Chiquillo and El Toro come with the HT gusset as a standard feature.

"It is designed for 80mm but you can go up to 100mm. El Toro will also have the gusset.

Regards,
    Teresa Franco
    Ventana Mountain Bikes, USA
    916-631-0544, ext. 203"

Reba Team with U-TURN will be sweet on this rig.
    Yes it is true. You can run a 100mm fork on a 08 El Toro, El Chiquillo, El Padrino, and El Comandante. It works awesome with a 100mm fork. Just ask D-Rock.
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Bring it.

Mud

I've been broadening my mud experience.
    Regarding your tire clearance question, I guess it depends upon where you ride.
    The tires pictured are Conti Explorer 2.1, and I spent a lot of time knocking mud off of them today. Front was worse than the rear, so it's more of a fork issue than a frame issue I guess.

Bring it.

Yeah it's an El Toro

With gears right now.

Pitbull not included

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Very nice built.
    How do you put the rear derailleur on Toro?

Bring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    How do you put the rear derailleur on Toro?
    I think it costs another $100 or $150 to have cable guides and a hanger added. Bike was cheap anyway. HAhahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha