mtbr member
    Jan 2007

29er Rigid fork options

I'm about to pull the trigger and begin building my 1st 29 Rigid, an El Pad, but am at a loss for a rigid fork since learning that Ventana is no longer offering its El Tenedor due to cracking issues.

Presently, I'm looking at replacements including; Hunter, Vicious & Wiley. Although I'm sure any would be satisfactory the Wily & Vicious seem visually to thin and tapered in comparision to the larger diameter aluminum tubes of the frame. The Hunter seems "beefy" enough, but is not a unicronw and thus has a "old" school look which does not thrill me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated or if anyone has an El Tenedor that they'd like to part with let me know.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

I'm running a...........

Bontrager Switchblade on my El Padrino...........and it's a sturdy fork. If I had to do it again I would look into the On-One or White Brothers carbon fork.......I especially like the On-One carbon fork.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezryder
    since learning that Ventana is no longer offering its El Tenedor due to cracking issues.
    Care to offer more info? What was cracking? The one I saw was very nicely built (duh).

I find it surprising that they would not offer it, rather than redesigning it to address the issue.

I personally think that a rigid fork is a rigid fork. They all ride about the same, so I got a Zion brand fork for cheap and had it painted to match.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I personally think that a rigid fork is a rigid fork.
    I dare you to say that to the zealot phreaks on the 29er forum!

have to say I agree....these fools that throw out cliches as if one is comparing a 3" versus 6" travel fork in terms of supposed differences they feel...whatever.

i think one of the most important things with a rigid fork is to make sure it has the A-C you want, period. For pure XC use I loved my karate monkey and Pace carbon given their shorter (than normal) 29er lengths....all depends on what you want. Also had an On-One (steel) fork and LOVED it, perhaps my favorite...for no particular reason, just was. Also have a vicious cycles fork on my 26er rigid bike and it is truly great but yeah, it looks very girly its so thin (like me)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

cracked....

Spoke to Sherwood directly and he said that many forks are showing cracks at the crown (no absolute failures) most likley due to the fact that the fork was very light and therefore lacked the strength to compensate for the stress produced at the juncture.

In lieu of redesigning the fork, he has just stopped making them. He could redesign and fix the problem, but at the cost of siginficantly increasing its weight. At that point why bother as it would weigh the same as every other fork out there....His words not mine.

That being said whatever fork I purchase, I will have it made to the same specs as the Tenedor. I have heard that under hard braking the Vicious has a tendancy to stutter.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by ezryder
    Spoke to Sherwood directly and he said that many forks are showing cracks at the crown (no absolute failures) most likley due to the fact that the fork was very light and therefore lacked the strength to compensate for the stress produced at the juncture.

In lieu of redesigning the fork, he has just stopped making them. He could redesign and fix the problem, but at the cost of siginficantly increasing its weight. At that point why bother as it would weigh the same as every other fork out there....His words not mine.

That being said whatever fork I purchase, I will have it made to the same specs as the Tenedor. I have heard that under hard braking the Vicious has a tendancy to stutter.
    stutter....so does every rigid fork i have owned when breaking at speed to some extent, though none as bad as the Reba 29ers i have owned

mtbr member

WaltWorks

take a look at walts forks they are pretty nice as well....

bog