New to the Nicolai Clan

29 SS Rigid Ventana vs Steel Niner

I will admit to being very confused here. I have had the pleasure of riding my first 29er SS rigid bike. Unfortunately it was Whafe's Jones...

So, to my question, I always hear about the amazing ride properties of a steel frame vs and aluminium one. Even the Niner website mentions built in flex for comfort.

Now, in my travels through the internet I come across a beautiful bike... a Ventana El Comandante.

How much of a difference does the frame material make to the harshness of the ride? I would have thought that the tyre pressure would be a much larger factor.

Thanks in advance.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Size of the tire will make some difference but an aluminum frame will be a lot more stiffer then Whafe's Titanium Jones. Titanium has this very unique ride that I haven't found in any aluminum frame. My rigid El Padrino is harsh even with 2.3 ExiWolfs. The ultimate in frame compliance would be a Ti frame in my opinion. This is the first time in the last fifteen years that I haven't had a Ti HT in my fleet.....I'm currently trying to change that.......
    Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 03-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.

New to the Nicolai Clan
    Hmmmm... thanks for the feedback... will continue to have a think and chat to Whafe...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Momentus
    .. Unfortunately it was Whafe's Jones...

Momentus...that's were you made the biggest mistake

Personally for an nice SS without blowing the budget out the window I'd go steel (although not Niner )....
    Last edited by crisillo; 03-28-2008 at 01:16 AM.