Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Nice color. So you finnaly bit the bullet and ordered one? Are you going to try to get it around 25lbs? and how?

About the XX cranks, they fit fine on my old El Rey, but with minimal clearance.

That's about 2-3mm.
    Well the dude with the black El Rey was at 26.74. Going XX will drop about 400g from XTR. The seat I plan to use will be almost another 100g. The stem and grips I can drop probably another 60g. Those Maxis tires are at least 100g heavier than the Rocket Rons I will use. Each. So that is 760g or so less than 26.74. Or about 25.25 lbs. Give or take a few grams.

I will be happy if I can get it under 26.

Those cranks are close. I think I may get Q164

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killrop View Post
    I will be happy if I can get it under 26.

Those cranks are close. I think I may get Q164
    They never touched the frame on my bike and I never hit the rear stays with my ankle, so I'm fine with the minimal clearance. How much does your frame weigh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What are people paying for the new Ventana frames? Did Sherwood up the price from the straight tubed stuff?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ronin View Post
    What are people paying for the new Ventana frames? Did Sherwood up the price from the straight tubed stuff?
    Prices are unchanged from the previous models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So I have found out for myself. A 25 lb El Rey is possible. Well, a 25lb-ish anyway.

El Rey (19 inch)
    Fox Fork
    XX Cranks BB30 Press Fit
    XX Shifters
    XX Cass
    XX Derailleurs
    Ritchey Stem
    King Headset
    Truvativ World Cup bars
    Easton Carbon Post EA90
    WTB Silverado seat
    Avid Elixer CR Brakes
    ECI Racer grips
    Eggbeater Pedals SL
    I9/Arch wheels

As it sits the bike weighs 26 lbs 7 ounces. I have a EA90 seatpost, ti bolt kits, Ti spindle and Rocket Ron tires en route. This will be a savings of about 10 oz. Putting me around 25 lb. 13 oz. If I step up and get the Enve wheels I have been eying, but don't have the stones to get, I would drop another 290g. Putting the El Rey at 25 lbs-3 OZ.

Here is almost the finished product. Waiting on the parts listed and a rear brake cable. The one I had wasn't long enough to fish through the frame.
    Sorry for the crappy pic. High quality photos to come...

I have not had a chance to test it out yet. Well, I rode it around the block. Not much of a test.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Its hard to find any good pics of the new bikes. Here you go!

mtbr member
    Wow, that's beautiful. Even with the bendy top tube. Love the color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Killrop that really is a very nice bike. Have been able to ride it at all to give us a report?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Killrop that really is a very nice bike. Have been able to ride it at all to give us a report?
    Unfortunately NO. Its 15 degrees out and there is probably a good 5 inches of snow outside.
    As soon as I get a couple trail rides I will be sure to compare it to the old El Rey in great detail.

This pic captures the true color of the bike. I had some White Balance issues on the last group and didn't do that good a job fixing it.

Last edited by Killrop; 02-12-2012 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a 2010 El Rey semi custom with only one row of bearings and a El Padrino BB shell. Built with XX, FOX RLC and Hope IIs with Stans Alpha rims its 26lbs with fairly heavy Time pedals. With DT 240 hubs Stans Olympic rims, Thomson Masterlight stem, seat post, ultra light seat, no thru-axle you might be able to get close. But I don't think it would be worth it.

the train keeps rollin
    OP, you realize 1-2 lbs isn't go to make a difference, unless it's rotating weight? I used to be a weight weenie, I built up a 24lb Motolite, then I added weight to make the bike an everyday bike. Bikes for a scale are ghey.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    OP, you realize 1-2 lbs isn't go to make a difference, unless it's rotating weight? I used to be a weight weenie, I built up a 24lb Motolite, then I added weight to make the bike an everyday bike. Bikes for a scale are ghey.
    There isn't any part of this build that is a weak link. I would never sacrifice durability for weight savings. Its arguable if 1-2 pounds will make a difference. I do know one thing. If given the choice of a 25 lb bike or a 27 I know which I chose.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Here's a 26.74 lb El Rey. 17in. XTR Trail 2x10. I9-Crest wheels. Alum Lefty Max spaced to 120mm right now. Like I said, 25lbs might be possible, but difficult, expensive, and the build may not end up being that great a match to the frame.
    wow, sweet build yo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    UPDATE: Enve wheels are shipping Monday. I will install and update the final weigh in. Should come in around 25 1/2 lbs. And BTW I am not a WW. I would have never ordered Chris King hubs if I was...or a 7.2 lb frame for that matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

nice bike

Very nice build!!

Any news? Pics with new Wheels?

Do you have a Pic from Frame on scale? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Killrop View Post
    UPDATE: Enve wheels are shipping Monday. I will install and update the final weigh in. Should come in around 25 1/2 lbs. And BTW I am not a WW. I would have never ordered Chris King hubs if I was...or a 7.2 lb frame for that matter.
    When are you going to post pics of the El Rey with the carbon wheels. Been waiting patiently.

Ballstein Models
    I'm getting close to being in the 25's with my 19" El Rey. I'm doing a rim swap (Flow's being replaced with carbon) next week and replacing my tires with Rocket Ron's. The specs say 640g will come off the bike which weighs 26'12" right now. After riding this bike though, I'm a believer that a few pounds makes little difference in thus amazing frame. It's just fun to see how light you can go and still be a solid build.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had Rocket Rons on mine up until a couple weeks ago. I was washing out constantly. Plus the push sand. Very loose feeling in the deep stuff. We have a lot of that here in Michigan. I switched back to the Racing Ralphs. Much better and only about 30g per pair heavier than R. Rons.

mtbr member
    This bike looks beautiful!

Maybe go with a lighter weight flat handlebar and flip your stem for a positive rise?
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

Ballstein Models
    I'm officially giving up the game at 25 pounds and 11 ounces. That is what the El Rey stands at today after mounting my new Nancy Carbon Rim/Industry Nine wheelset. That weight is ready to ride. No silly weight weenie shortcuts in the interest of making a certain number. I am completely stoked by my bike. I'd take more pics but it is dark and we got dumped on last night with over a foot of snow.

Build Spec:

2012 19" El Rey with 142x12 rear
    2013 Fox F29 CTD 100mm 15mm thru fork
    Chris King Inset Headset and Bottom Bracket
    Industry Nine XC/Light Bicycle wide 29er carbon rims/Bontrager rim strips
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Pacestar EVO front/Racing Ralph 2.25 Pacestar EVO rear
    XTR M985 2x10 40/28 cranks
    XTR M980 triggers
    XTR M980 Front mech
    XTR M98x Shadow+ Rear mech
    XTR M980 chain
    XTR M980 11-36 cassette
    Hope Tech X2 Special Edition brakes w/braided lines w/matchmakers/Hope floating rotors 183/160mm
    ENVE 100mm stem
    ENVE flat handlebar
    EDGE 30.9 setback seatpost
    Terry FLX carbon rail seat
    ESI Chunky grips
    XTR M980 pedals
    K-Edge Garmin mount
    Jagwire silver braided housing

All that adds up to 25 pounds and 11 ounces.
    Last edited by hogprint; 12-21-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Ballstein Models
    Pics

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Here's a 26.74 lb El Rey. 17in. XTR Trail 2x10. I9-Crest wheels. Alum Lefty Max spaced to 120mm right now. Like I said, 25lbs might be possible, but difficult, expensive, and the build may not end up being that great a match to the frame.
    That is one hell've nice looking bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2