mtbr member
    Jan 2010

253 kms. with a Pantera

Hi, every year i ride a long distance route with some friends, searching for views, sensations, and exploring our capacities. Last long ride, summer 2009, was 253 km. with near 6000 mt. climbing (and the same descending ). The trail began at llança (North of catalonia, Spain) and finish at Barcelona.

First, we take the train arriving at Llança at 18.00, beginning to climb Costa Brava mountains (sometimes carrying our bikes on feet), and we had dinner at Torroella de Montrí after 100 km. riding. We ride all night, climbing Puig d'Arqués and Cadiretes arriving at Tordera at 7.00 to take a Coffe. We reach km. 170 and began to be tired.

After breakfast, we had to conquer the highest climbs of the journey, including Turó Gros and other. 1500 mts. + in only 25 km.

There was a lot of non-firm pavement (like sand) because some machines arranged it to prevent forest fires, and were very hard to ride.

We arrive at destination after 21 hours: 17 hours of riding and 4 hours of train+stops
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 253 kms. with a Pantera-49473843.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-93251036.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-94636110.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-16054844.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-12554321.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-16952898.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-17462864.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-20568278.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    More pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 253 kms. with a Pantera-27054263.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-101e.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-107r.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-116m.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-117w.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-138p.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-153n.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-13152697.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome post, thanks for the epic ride stoke!
    Having traveled to Barcelona, Pamplona and San Sebastian while spending a summer practicas in Madrid, I always wondered how the riding was out there...I just wasn't riding at that time in my life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Damn! can't belive you post w/out telling how heavy is your Patera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by toponoto
    Damn! can't belive you post w/out telling how heavy is your Patera.
    Toponoto, this is not important. And Sherwood saw it at ventana Gathering. Actually, weights 12 kg.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan B
    Toponoto, this is not important. And Sherwood saw it at ventana Gathering. Actually, weights 12 kg.
    That isn't heavy!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Awesome ride stoke post! Keep 'em coming!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for your responses! This was my first non-stop long ride, previously I ride 275 kms. but in 2 days. This year, we want ride more distance and more climbing. If somebody has interest in long rides in Catalunya (Spain), let me know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan B
    Well, no big deal but I'm glad you did not tell it in your history. Guess you're getting older.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by toponoto
    Well, no big deal but I'm glad you did not tell it in your history. Guess you're getting older.

Team Chilidog!
    Awesome post. Thanks for sharing.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Love the write up! Looks really awesome! I think though, that you bike is a El Chamuco and not a Pantera unless you got a custom Pantera w/Red Anodized finish? I had an El Chamuco for a few years and still have the frame in the garage w/about 6 fatigue cracks in it. Just can't throw it away, it's too cool. I really miss my Chamuco. Wish they would make em again! C'mon Sherwood! I'll buy one!!!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    Love the write up! Looks really awesome! I think though, that you bike is a El Chamuco and not a Pantera unless you got a custom Pantera w/Red Anodized finish? I had an El Chamuco for a few years and still have the frame in the garage w/about 6 fatigue cracks in it. Just can't throw it away, it's too cool. I really miss my Chamuco. Wish they would make em again! C'mon Sherwood! I'll buy one!!!
    That's a Pantera, his shock mounts to the smaller triangle plate.

You know Pa, you can send the Chamuco into Ventana for the Factory ReFurb, those stress cracks can be repaired or replaced.......

It's one of the things I took care of on my 01 Bruja during it's refurb trip. It's like new again!
    -Aaron G.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Hey Aaron,
    Can they really do that? I always thought that once a frame cracked it was done? My frame has cracks but no broken tubes. I would LOVE to see her brought back from the dead! People think I'm nuts, but I LOVE my El Chamuco and she just shines on creepy crawly rock rides! I'll have to contact Sherwood and see if he can give me an estimate! Thanks for the info!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    That's a Pantera, his shock mounts to the smaller triangle plate.

You know Pa, you can send the Chamuco into Ventana for the Factory ReFurb, those stress cracks can be repaired or replaced.......

It's one of the things I took care of on my 01 Bruja during it's refurb trip. It's like new again!
    Yes, it's a Pantera. And it's good to know that it could be refurbished if necessary. I love my bikes, and I love to ride it!

Some pictures of my Ventana frame before building and another of an old building (now it's 4 pound lighter).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 253 kms. with a Pantera-dsc08361-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-dsc08362-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-dsc08363-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-dsc08364-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-dsc08365-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

253 kms. with a Pantera-dsc08472-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    Hey Aaron,
    Can they really do that? I always thought that once a frame cracked it was done? My frame has cracks but no broken tubes. I would LOVE to see her brought back from the dead! People think I'm nuts, but I LOVE my El Chamuco and she just shines on creepy crawly rock rides! I'll have to contact Sherwood and see if he can give me an estimate! Thanks for the info!
    Yes, depending on the severity they might replace the tube, or weld the crack and add a gusset or just weld the crack. There are options, For my Bruja it was mostly replace parts, but in one case it was weld the crack and then refinish. Can't tell where the crack was now, in fact, I didn't know the crack was there until Sherwood looked at it for the other repairs I knew about.

My issue originally was a worn out main pivot, (After 8 yrs I figure that's acceptable!), and two dented tubes and he found the crack I mentioned. All fixed, re-heattreated and pc'd and is the killer AM/Mammoth machine it used to be and more.

-A
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Amazing ride. Looks like an epic time.