jbf
    mtbr member

2012 bikes shock size

I am about to buy a new shock for my old Ventana and was wondering if the new 2012's are still using the 7.875"X2.25" standard Sherwood has always used. Reason for asking is because I hope to trade-in sometime in the future and would like to use the shock on a new Ventana.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep. New ciclon is 7.875 x 2.25.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    You better check with Ventana first because I thought the 2012's used a 200mm x 57mm shock!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    You better check with Ventana first because I thought the 2012's used a 200mm x 57mm shock!
    Well, in an effort to be funny, you end up being wrong!!!

El Ciclon
    El Chucho
    (Soon to be released 650B)

All use the 200 x 57mm (7.875 x 2.25") Shocks

El Rey
    El Saltamontes

Use the 200 x 50mm (7.875 x 2") Shock.

Booya baby!!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post

El Ciclon
    El Chucho

El Rey
    El Saltamontes

Booya baby!!
    I certainly hope Sherwood designs a short travel 650B option.......120mm F/R because we do not need another 150mm frame.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I certainly hope Sherwood designs a short travel 650B option.......120mm F/R because we do not need another 150mm frame.
    Well,
    A) you are just one rider, there's an entire forum that probably disagrees.
    B) It won't be just another 150mm frame.
    C) Looking at Fork options, 130 from the Loop and Velvet and the F34 from Fox is 160mm. Kind of forces Sherwoods hand. He has to (liability reasons) design to approved equipement. Sure we know that Pre '12 Fox clear 650B's and we know that RS Pike/Revelation 20mm do too. But if it's not official, it's not something he can design to.
    -Aaron G.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Well,
    A) you are just one rider, there's an entire forum that probably disagrees.
    B) It won't be just another 150mm frame.
    C) Looking at Fork options, 130 from the Loop and Velvet and the F34 from Fox is 160mm. Kind of forces Sherwoods hand. He has to (liability reasons) design to approved equipement. Sure we know that Pre '12 Fox clear 650B's and we know that RS Pike/Revelation 20mm do too. But if it's not official, it's not something he can design to.
    What's the percentage of mtn bikers that have 140/150mm frames that actually use them for which they were actually designed? I can tell you I laugh everytime I see someone riding a T-Moto or Nomad at GB or SF......way more bike for the trail.....I tend to believe the fun curve is regressive at that point.

I understand the liability thing....spoke to Sherwood about that a few months ago. I didn't know Fox had released any information on the 650B fork. Lets hope RS realizes not everyone rides a 140mm fork. Ask Sherwood his opinion on the Loop

Team Chilidog!
    What's the percentage of mtn bikers that have 140/150mm frames that actually use them for which they were actually designed? I can tell you I laugh everytime I see someone riding a T-Moto or Nomad at GB or SF......way more bike for the trail.....I tend to believe the fun curve is regressive at that point.

I understand the liability thing....spoke to Sherwood about that a few months ago. I didn't know Fox had released any information on the 650B fork. Lets hope RS realizes not everyone rides a 140mm fork. Ask Sherwood his opinion on the Loop
    Not ready to go to the 650B (just got my 2012 Ciclon and really like it), but I'm hoping this does better than the 29ers, and I'm definitely interested to watch the direction this takes.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

orthonormal

El Ciclon
    El Chucho

El Rey
    El Saltamontes

Booya baby!!
    Any changes coming to El Commandante? I'm still on my 2005 and would love to trade it in for a new one with about 1" shorter chainstays and 120 mm fork compatibility.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Any changes coming to El Commandante? I'm still on my 2005 and would love to trade it in for a new one with about 1" shorter chainstays and 120 mm fork compatibility.
    120 fork compat is cake, just let 'em know so he can add the mustache gusset, maybe tweak the ht angle. As for a rear tri redesign, I haven't heard of one, but, you should call 'em up and talk to them about El Toro Bravo. Super quick handling 29'er SS.

Robert's been the driving force behind that one and I'm more than a little curious to try one my size to replace my Toro.(Drawback to being 4-5" taller than Sherwood, Robert etc. hard to get a good test ride on too small a frame).
    -Aaron G.