Arnborg strik

2011 Ciclon vs 2010 Ciclon??

Need some advice here, and hope you all can help me out.

Im i a situation where i can get a 2010 Ciclon, with a Thomson Elite seatpost, Hope headset and a Shimano XT 776 wheelset.

The frame and parts have been ridden 2 times, it is one of my friends, so i know its true. It is not even dirty

I can get it all for 7000 danish kroner about 1333$ that is VERY cheap here in Denmark.
    if i should buy the frame alone here in Denmark i would have to pay around 3000$

About the 2011 Ciclon it has all the "upgrades" i have been longing for, but would it be stupid to pass up such a good offer on the 2010??

Will the 2011 be so much "better" than the 2010 ????

Thanks
    Thomas
    Single dad, and proud of it!

mtbr member
    I did it the same a 2009 El Rey. I don't regret getting it. far from that. I think you'd be lucky to get your hands on a 2011 frame before the end of summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

wait until

we see what a 2011 is going to be. until you do, how will ya know?
    breezy shade

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I don't think you can even compare the two frames yet since the 2011 is not released to the public. I think what you should be asking yourself is do you want to spend $1300 or $3000.....in the spirit of Ventana you will get a very similiar ride with new window dressing for 2011. I stopped by Ventana this past Thursday to buy back my El Toro I had traded in on my 650B HT.....sometimes I do stupid things like sell frames and wheels for the sake selling them. After talking with Sherwood for ten minutes.....I can tell you without giving you the details.......I would buy the new frame......the new El Ciclon is going to be a work of art.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    I did it the same a 2009 El Rey. I don't regret getting it. far from that. I think you'd be lucky to get your hands on a 2011 frame before the end of summer.
    And what makes you think it will take that long? Unless it's an Importing issue with european countries, Ventana has never produced vaporware (read: New RFX) and has tight production turn arounds, I bet we see frames in customers hands in May.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Just a guess on my part. When I ordered a Turner, it took 4 months to get to Holland. And that was when the frame was not even just announced. I'm sure that a lot of people will be ordering the new Ventana's now. I don't know the production capacity, but I suspect it won't be in the 100's per week. Then again, you don't see many Ventana's, so maybe I overestimate the demand.

Arnborg strik

Maybe i should wait

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    I don't think you can even compare the two frames yet since the 2011 is not released to the public. I think what you should be asking yourself is do you want to spend $1300 or $3000.....in the spirit of Ventana you will get a very similiar ride with new window dressing for 2011. I stopped by Ventana this past Thursday to buy back my El Toro I had traded in on my 650B HT.....sometimes I do stupid things like sell frames and wheels for the sake selling them. After talking with Sherwood for ten minutes.....I can tell you without giving you the details.......I would buy the new frame......the new El Ciclon is going to be a work of art.

Actually i have a Pivot Mach 4 waiting to be build, so maybe thats the way to go. And then save up for the 2011 Ciclon.
    Single dad, and proud of it!

Space Ghost
    Take the great deal and ride the heck out of it until you decide whether the 2011's are for you. You can always sell the '09 for what you paid.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    This discussion is just became moot:

http://ventanausa.com/2011_El_Ciclon_Geometry2.html
    Last edited by zonoskar; 04-04-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Just a guess on my part. When I ordered a Turner, it took 4 months to get to Holland. And that was when the frame was not even just announced. I'm sure that a lot of people will be ordering the new Ventana's now. I don't know the production capacity, but I suspect it won't be in the 100's per week. Then again, you don't see many Ventana's, so maybe I overestimate the demand.
    You don't see many Ventana's because they are a small shop, we're talking 4-5 folks working there, that's it.
    Ventana get's "looped" into the same group as Turner/Ellsworth/Intense as far as boutique builders, but in fact they are much more akin to the Curtlo's/WaltWorks/DeKerf/Sycip/Seven type builders.

Hand built, highest quality, on at a time.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417
    Take the great deal and ride the heck out of it until you decide whether the 2011's are for you. You can always sell the '09 for what you paid.
    Agreed. I will never ride a bike with a tapered head tube because they look stupid. Such a pity. The hype on PF30 is unbelievable as well. Same size ball in the retainer and only 10% greater load rating.

Arnborg strik

I bought the "old" 2010 model

After i thought about it for a while, i came to the conclusion that the old one would serve me fine
    It seems that whenever there is a "new" model on the market, the old one is obsolete

I really like some of the changes on the 2011 Ciclon......Tapered headtube ,142mm rearhub, 30.9mm seatpost. What i dont like about the 2011 Ciclon is the hydroforming. I like the look of a classic frame.

I got the frame yesterday, and it is beautyful .

Build will be:
    Ciclon size small
    DT 1750 wheelset
    Reba XX 20mm Maxle lite fork
    XTR triggers,crankset, cassette and deraileurs
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    90mm FSA OS 115 stem
    FSA K-Force carbon DH handlebar
    XTR pedals
    110 headset
    Magura Marta SL magnesium brakes with Storm SL rotor's
    ESI grips