Registered text offender
    Dec 2011

20% off sale for El Rey contest entrants

Good til 5/25. Sounds like a decent offer to me. Does anyone here have plans to take Ventana up on this offer? Good for the El Rey, El Ciclon, and El Chucho. I find that I just keep coming back to thoughts of owning an El Ciclon.

This is actually disturbing news for me as I bought a bike in January- a Taiwanese Titus El Guapo; Great bike, only wish the chainstays were a bit shorter than 17.36" and the seattube a tad slacker than 72*, and son-of-a-gun the El Ciclon is exactly that. Plus the EG's geo is set up for a taller A2C fork than the 515 A2C set that I run.

Made in the U.S.A is a big deal to me, and the fact that my main objective is fun. From what I've read the 2012 EC is the wheelie and bunny hop facilitator I should have bought to begin with.

I guess I am curious about Horst link vs. single pivot for braking upon descent, but in the end I don't think it amounts to much considering all i've read from current owners and the absolute stunning execution and build quality. I find differing suspension designs interesting, but for me it takes a back seat to geometry in terms of importance.

Below is a shot of my current ride. It looks the part, but I can't help but think I would be rewarded with more fun and pride of ownership with the El Ciclon.

I think I will be giving Ventana a call tommorrow, Thanks for letting me talk myself into it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20% off sale for El Rey contest entrants-elduco.jpg  

Last edited by Jon Richard; 05-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I also plan to call them later today. I had pretty much decided on a Turner 5-Spot until I got the e-mail about this discount. Made in USA is all important to me. I like the El Guapo, but ruled it out for that reason. Now I am on the fence between the El Ciclon and the El Chucho. The idea of the El Chucho is appealing as it corrects some of my dislikes about 29ers (overall big and long feeling, less agile, taller overall gearing). I'm concerned about the difference of front and rear travel. I need more glowing Ciclon references to make me save a hundred bucks and just play it safe with the straight 26er. It may come down to what they have in stock because I need a medium frame asap.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Silly question: where this offer is comming from? Is it US only?

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
    Now I am on the fence between the El Ciclon and the El Chucho.
    I was, but I thought about it and came to the conclusion that there has never been an issue for me on a 26", and I want matched suspension travel front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB View Post
    Hi,

Silly question: where this offer is comming from? Is it US only?

Cheers!
    I.
    Not sure about U.S. only. It seems everyone who visited the Ventana web site and entered their drawing they held to win an El Rey received an E-mail with this offer-
    El Rey Contest Winners! | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The answer to Ivan's question would then be yes, I'm afraid, as only US citizens could enter this competition.

Which caused me much gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair, I might add.
    Last edited by Scubble; 05-21-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: error

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Your El Guapo is good. Keep it.

No chain-guard with a ramped chainring?

Now, if Zeus was available..

I am itching for the El Ray, but I just bought an expensive frame (though for another purpose).

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Your El Guapo is good. Keep it.
    Can't I have both?

No chain-guard with a ramped chainring?
    I was waiting for my HBC ring and dropping the chain like three or four times per ride.

Axe, the Zeus would be right for you I believe, 650B and room for a bottle mount.

Iíve had a change of heart, no more El Ciclon for me. Iím talking with Daryl at Form Cycles about putting a Ventana Rear on a custom stainless front triangle.

I'm thinking El Ciclon geometry, but with KVA stainless and a straight top tube.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    Axe, the Zeus would be right for you I believe, 650B and room for a bottle mount.
    I am about to recieve my order of Nicolai Helius AM frame. Should be able to convert it to 650b (with making a shorter upper shock mount and not using the maximum travel position, and with 160mm Fox fork, once it is out. Will be very close to Zues geometry, if my calculations are correct). That should be it for my frame purchasing for a while... But the El Rey is very tempting. I wonder if I can sell a bike or two.

Iím talking with Daryl at Form Cycles about putting a Ventana Rear on a custom stainless front triangle.

I'm thinking El Ciclon geometry, but with KVA stainless and a straight top tube.
    Awesome. But I would have waited for 650b designed around the 140mm RS fork - lighter complement to El Guapo...

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I am about to recieve my order of Nicolai Helius AM frame. Should be able to convert it to 650b (with making a shorter upper shock mount and not using the maximum travel position, and with 160mm Fox fork, once it is out. Will be very close to Zues geometry, if my calculations are correct). That should be it for my frame purchasing for a while... But the El Rey is very tempting. I wonder if I can sell a bike or two.
    Wow, Iím still reacclimating to the new world of mountain biking after about a 15 year break so that Nicolai is new to my eyes. Is there anything the Germans canít perfect?

Awesome. But I would have waited for 650b designed around the 140mm RS fork - lighter complement to El Guapo...
    I hear ya, but Iím all about the shorter chain stays and Iím loving 150mm of travel for trail use. I was planning to put the Maverick forks on the Form and find something taller for the Guapo.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Wow, Iím still reacclimating to the new world of mountain biking after about a 15 year break so that Nicolai is new to my eyes. Is there anything the Germans canít perfect?

I hear ya, but Iím all about the shorter chain stays and Iím loving 150mm of travel for trail use. I was planning to put the Maverick forks on the Form and find something taller for the Guapo.
    Well, there's only one thing... Ventana doesn't make the NEW Generation rear tri's for the custom builders. They make and produce the previous generation rear tri's.

The Ciclon can be had with straight tubes, for probably considerably less than a Form custom, just give V a call and ask about a custom build.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Well, there's only one thing... Ventana doesn't make the NEW Generation rear tri's for the custom builders. They make and produce the previous generation rear tri's.

The Ciclon can be had with straight tubes, for probably considerably less than a Form custom, just give V a call and ask about a custom build.
    Ouch. Daryl at Form didn't flinch when I explained I wanted the 2012 assymetric rear, if thats the case it's a deal breaker for me.

There is no doubt Ventana could save me some cash even going custom, but man that new KVA stainless is awesome stuff. It's certainly not needed, but I can spare the extra money at the moment and feel I'm in a position to put together something real special for myself, something I used to dream about when I was riding lugged steel frame hardtails.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Is there anything the Germans canít perfect?
    Dancing, cooking and winning wars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The offer is good for everyone. The shipping offer however, only applies to the US. Contact us at Ventana for more info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is this then, a general 20% discount on the El Rey, as It was my understanding that the competition was only open to US citizens?
    Enquiring minds want to know

mtbr member
    Hi,

Just sent Ventana people an e-mail. We shall see, hopefully soon.

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The contest was only open to US residents but the sale is extended to everyone in the USA and abroad. Email me directly with any questions, teresa@ventanausa.com.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ok, got it. That's great news.
    Thanks, Teresa.