Thread: 1x9 El Bastardo

NedwannaB

1x9 El Bastardo

Been looking at dropping from 2x to a single ring 32-12/36t setup for the coming summer Trail Bike season. I am running a mid-cage XT Shadow rr der now. My drivetrain is fairly new and I can't see putting any money into upgrading drivetrain to 10 spd or the crown jewell of them all XX1, for the advantage of the clutch/Type 2 deraillers as nice as they appear to be.
    Any reason the c-guide wouldn't setup nicely on these swingarms?
    Name:  cguide_silver_polished.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  xcxp_guide-sthilo_feat-450x281.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  23.7 KB
    I already have an e-Thirteen XCX seat tube mount guide (shown above) that I would use in conjunction for the setup which has worked great on my ht, but thinking with rr suspension an additional retension component would be a safe bet for cutting down on noise chatter and droped chain issues.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

JMac
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Team Chilidog!
    Good timing.. I'm just now going to a 1x10 setup myself. Currently my Ciclon is running a 32T with an 11-36 cassette, but will eventually move to a 30T with a spiderless crankset. I have ISCG tabs, so I'm probably not going to give you anything useful as far as chainguides. I'm looking at running a MRP G2 micro (I think that's what it's called), because it can run a 28-32T size chainring. Not sure about the C-guide, but I know people who love it.

I'm currently running some e13 chainguide with ISCG mounts, but I'm not sure which one it is (it was OE on a Kona I think). I'll replace it when I replace my cranks.

I'd love to see what you do.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

NedwannaB
    Hey Stripes that should work out good for you to be able to run a varied size of front rings depending on where you'll be riding.

The smallest I can go is 32t up front with my crankset/XCX guide setup anyway, which is fine for my riding, as I do alot of SS(single speed not "Slope Style!") riding as well. Been using same setup on my 29r HT without issues on anywhere I ride, Annadel,CC,Tamarancho,all over Mt Tam, Skyline Park Napa etc. So with same gearing (32/36t) on the 650 wheel bike I see no doubt it will be the same, if not a little better climbing given the increased traction from Sherwood's suspension. Plus all the more fun when heading down with some back end cush!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Hey Stripes that should work out good for you to be able to run a varied size of front rings depending on where you'll be riding.

The smallest I can go is 32t up front with my crankset/XCX guide setup anyway, which is fine for my riding, as I do alot of SS(single speed not "Slope Style!") riding as well. Been using same setup on my 29r HT without issues on anywhere I ride, Annadel,CC,Tamarancho,all over Mt Tam, Skyline Park Napa etc. So with same gearing (32/36t) on the 650 wheel bike I see no doubt it will be the same, if not a little better climbing given the increased traction from Sherwood's suspension. Plus all the more fun when heading down with some back end cush!
    I've only done it a few rides so far, and man, it's hard. Not on the legs, which is what's suprising me--but more on the upper body and mentality getting used to fewer gears. My singlespeeding background is strictly on my DJ, so it doesn't help much with trail riding.

My El Salt was setup this way and I loved it. For some reason, it's been a bit mentally harder to get used to having less gears on this bike (the Ciclon), but I was surprised that I could do a 11 mile/1400 ft ride and only didn't make a few steep climbs. I do have to stop a lot more, but that will change when I get a smaller chainring and get used to the setup.

NedwannaB
    Perseverance is key in adapting to less/1 gear choice, either that or ignorance. Keep pedaling until you get that different front ring that works!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Perseverance is key in adapting to less/1 gear choice, either that or ignorance. Keep pedaling until you get that different front ring that works!
    I put on the 30T and what a huge difference it makes. I really like running the lighter rear tire on it (even though it's still not a light bike), but having less gears means more fun. I put on the MRP AMg (I have ISG05 tabs, but they also make a BB version), which has no roller. This coupled with the X.9 cranks and a MRP 30T bling ring makes for a very quiet and nice running drivetrain. There's a 28T bling ring too, but I want to see how well I can survive on the 30T. This feels much better than the 32T.

I'm still having a hard time on steep hills, but they're a problem even when I had the granny gear, but I'm finding I'm going farther on steep hills than I did before. It's also much easier to clean post-ride

If you want a closeup of the drivetrain lemme know, but here is the full 1x10 Lobo:

1x9 El Bastardo-photo.jpg

NedwannaB
    NIce! That bike looks like it could do some serious railiing once you got it pointed downhill!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    JMac,
    What size rockers do you have on your Bastard? I have 5.5" rockers but am thinking of going to 5" rockers. it slackens up the HA and lowers the bottom bracket. I'll have to send my shock to push and have them change the stroke from 2.25" to 2" and buy the
    5" rockers from Ventana but I think I will like the ride better. I don't need 5.5" travel where I live. I actually only need 4" travel but my fork is a 130mm White Brothers Fluid and if I went to 4" rockers I'd have to invest in a new fork, which I don't want to do. Just wondering how you ride your Bastard.